DDR4 issue

Has it been mentioned that the CPU memory controller itself only guarantees 3200mhz?  

@OP - you need to fine tune it to get it to be stable with 3600mhz.  Takes time and may not always work.  Took me a long while to get 99% stable with 3600mhz on Zen (2666mhz memory controller)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

21 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I need a picture of the stick on the ram, a cpu-z mem and spd tab screen shot.

Then I need a screen shot of the stock Jedec profile the board posts automatically.

Let's see what you are really working with.

I've posted the pics if u have time to have a look for me plz. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Leon86 said:

I've posted the pics if u have time to have a look for me plz. Thanks 

OK buddy, "rubbing hands together"

Dram Frequency - Manually set to 3000mhz.

I want you to manually input these timings.

(memory timing menu)

tCL -16

tRCD -16 (both channels if you see x4 sets of 15,13, or 11s, depending on what your motherboard posts at stock)

tRP -16

tRAS -36

tRC -66

Find Command Rate (CR 2T)

Set manually the voltage to 1.350v

Be Sure that Infinity Fabric matches the Memory speed ( IF - 1:1 ) 

If this boots up, that's a good thing. If it does not.... we'll try the same settings at a different Ram frequency.

But this "should" post without issues. This also should be tested once you've gone into windows. (stress test)

Don't forget to give me screen shots of cpu-z memory tabs as we go along.

EDIT: We have a timezone gap. This might take longer than expected..... sry bud.

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK buddy, "rubbing hands together"

Dram Frequency - Manually set to 3000mhz.

I want you to manually input these timings.

(memory timing menu)

tCL -16

tRCD -16 (both channels if you see x4 sets of 15,13, or 11s, depending on what your motherboard posts at stock)

tRP -16

tRAS -36

tRC -66

Find Command Rate (CR 2T)

Set manually the voltage to 1.350v

Be Sure that Infinity Fabric matches the Memory speed ( IF - 1:1 ) 

If this boots up, that's a good thing. If it does not.... we'll try the same settings at a different Ram frequency.

But this "should" post without issues. This also should be tested once you've gone into windows. (stress test)

Don't forget to give me screen shots of cpu-z memory tabs as we go along.

EDIT: We have a timezone gap. This might take longer than expected..... sry bud.

Ok I will do....yes I believe we do have time zone gaps not a issue tho. Thanks for the time ya taking to help btw. What stress test do u recommend. Have aida64 but free version so I believe it won't let me stress the ram. 

5 hours ago, Leon86 said:

Ok I will do....yes I believe we do have time zone gaps not a issue tho. Thanks for the time ya taking to help btw. What stress test do u recommend. Have aida64 but free version so I believe it won't let me stress the ram. 

Youre welcome.

There are several, Ill name a couple popular ones.... Prime95, OCCT, IBT.

Ok so I try these settings above but with no luck. I've included pictures of the bios after it reset so the info should be in a raw form for you, just to mention to get into the dram config I did have to change the speed to 3000mhz, to just get in a show the values. Another question is the IF was in MHz not a ratio. So set it manually to 3000mhz but this was max? Thought it would if been 3600? Sorry for being a noob. Give me my old fx4100 and i will clock it to 4.5ghz, new stuff is different now. Thanks

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

2 hours ago, Leon86 said:

Another question is the IF was in MHz not a ratio.  So set it manually to 3000mhz but this was max?

1900 is the max. But optimally it should be half the ram value. So 1500 for 3000 ram or 1800 for 3600 ram. 

If you set it to 3000 it definitely won't boot.

11 minutes ago, geo3 said:

1900 is the max. But optimally it should be half the ram value. So 1500 for 3000 ram or 1800 for 3600 ram. 

If you set it to 3000 it definitely won't boot.

Yes I did not mention should be half. My mistake. 

Thank you geo.

Right so these settings give could of booted with different IF MHz. Plus if I'm setting the ram at 3000mhz, won't that be slower compared to the 3466mhz I'm running now? 

55 minutes ago, Leon86 said:

with different IF MHz. Plus if I'm setting t

55 minutes ago, Leon86 said:

Right so these settings give could of booted with different IF MHz. Plus if I'm setting the ram at 3000mhz, won't that be slower compared to the 3466mhz I'm running now? 

Yes and no. 

Mhz, yes.... timings no. 

The most optimal place for Ryzen at any Memory speed below 3800mhz but 3200mhz and up.... Is where you want to be.... 16-16-16

So because your memory chips aren't the greatest, you start lower on the frequency with 16-16-16 and test stability. 

If it's good there, bump to 3200mhz same timings and voltage, test again.... passes, go for 3400mhz wash rinse repeat. 

You could try...... Leaving the memory speed at 3466, and just change to 16-16-16 and see if it posts, That alone will increase your performance.

But I like to start at lower frequencies with memory kits like your for stability. We aren't pushing for max clocks here. Performance. That's the name of the game.

OK so let me demonstrate what I mean about performance. 

This is a screen shot of where you want the memory (IF matching 1/2 the speed) (I'm a dummy not to have mentioned that, my apologies)

Not showing off, this is where you want to be. 

Our goal is to get your latency as far below 70ns as possible. 

3600 CL16 performance..png

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK so let me demonstrate what I mean about performance. 

This is a screen shot of where you want the memory (IF matching 1/2 the speed) (I'm a dummy not to have mentioned that, my apologies)

Not showing off, this is where you want to be. 

Our goal is to get your latency as far below 70ns as possible. 

3600 CL16 performance..png

So the 16,16,16. That's too 3 of the timings in list u gave me. Also any idea on the chips I have. U would have thought with premium Corsair ram would have good chips

Not likely, and with timings like that, not premium. SK-Hynix lower binned chips.

The "premium" ram that clocks well easily, can be 300$. 

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not likely, and with timings like that, not premium. SK-Hynix lower binned chips.

The "premium" ram that clocks well easily, can be 300$. 

Ok so if can just click back to the IF MHz. If I was to run my ram at 3200 does that mean my IF should be 1600? And up it as I up ram speed. .....also will cpuz CPU bench show me incremental figures as I do this if I get a base figure at the "out the box speed" of 2133?

1 hour ago, Leon86 said:

Ok so if can just click back to the IF MHz. If I was to run my ram at 3200 does that mean my IF should be 1600? And up it as I up ram speed. .....also will cpuz CPU bench show me incremental figures as I do this if I get a base figure at the "out the box speed" of 2133?

You can use whatever you like. 

Aida64 is nice because it has a cpu cache and memory benchmark. Shows pretty exclusive memory performance. Read write and latency also see how the processor cache performance increases.

Yes 3200mhz Ram should be 1600mhz IF.

Also, memory is double data rate. 3200mhz = 1600mhz effective. So stock is 2133mhz or 1066mhz effective. (little fyi)

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can use whatever you like. 

Aida64 is nice because it has a cpu cache and memory benchmark. Shows pretty exclusive memory performance. Read write and latency also see how the processor cache performance increases.

Yes 3200mhz Ram should be 1600mhz IF.

Also, memory is double data rate. 3200mhz = 1600mhz effective. So stock is 2133mhz or 1066mhz effective. (little fyi)

Yeah knew all about DDR ram and how it works just never overclockers or messed with ram. With my last CPU being FX based I didn't have such refinements like IF or even a proper quad core cpu, another matter entirely. Lol......ok will have a play with timings as per your recommendation and see were I get. Thanks shrimp. 

3 minutes ago, Leon86 said:

Yeah knew all about DDR ram and how it works just never overclockers or messed with ram. With my last CPU being FX based I didn't have such refinements like IF or even a proper quad core cpu, another matter entirely. Lol......ok will have a play with timings as per your recommendation and see were I get. Thanks shrimp. 

You're welcome. Like I said, start at a lower frequency and test.

/

I loved the FX platform. Was cheap LN2 thrills. Had a few well into the 7ghz range v-core 2v+.

Ran DDR3 Mushkin RedLines 1100mhz 9-10-9-27-36. Bunch of different cpus and cards.

The IF doesn't have to be linked actually. It's just the best place to have it for performance.

Some chips do 3800mhz, and that's about as fast as the IF goes. So past that frequency, you gotta run unlinked (IF lower than memory so not 1:1) and the Ryzen chips can push well into the 4000mhz and up range. 

The issue is, most of you guys and gals that come here want a quick set it and forget it with memory XMP.

Well, the Ryzen memory controller is actually pretty picky. It craves high end memory, but it's expensive.

Anyhow, this is the timing set I recommend anyone that  is in your situation. And if you look, there's quite a few.

The problem is a lot of people are misinformed, under-informed, or just not willing to spend the time to really tune a fast rig. (plus the money for fast memory isn't cheap.)

12 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You're welcome. Like I said, start at a lower frequency and test.

/

I loved the FX platform. Was cheap LN2 thrills. Had a few well into the 7ghz range v-core 2v+.

Ran DDR3 Mushkin RedLines 1100mhz 9-10-9-27-36. Bunch of different cpus and cards.

The IF doesn't have to be linked actually. It's just the best place to have it for performance.

Some chips do 3800mhz, and that's about as fast as the IF goes. So past that frequency, you gotta run unlinked (IF lower than memory so not 1:1) and the Ryzen chips can push well into the 4000mhz and up range. 

The issue is, most of you guys and gals that come here want a quick set it and forget it with memory XMP.

Well, the Ryzen memory controller is actually pretty picky. It craves high end memory, but it's expensive.

Anyhow, this is the timing set I recommend anyone that  is in your situation. And if you look, there's quite a few.

The problem is a lot of people are misinformed, under-informed, or just not willing to spend the time to really tune a fast rig. (plus the money for fast memory isn't cheap.)

Tbh I was maybe naive in thinking I can just set XMP to 3600 and that would be it. I spend my life on YouTube and watch plenty of video on Linus and jays2cents to name a few and XMP seems to be the goto thing for memory. It's a shame as I thought my ram would just be capable of 3600 out the box. Maybe I should also check to see if there a bios update. I got the x570 because I wanted a upgrade path, so with CPU I have 3900/3950x and have 4 dim slots so can add another 16gb at the very least. Obviously have gen4 pcie, but I didn't get a gen 4 m.2 as tempting as a gigabyte 2tb one was, at £450, that's sound like a new GPU to me, as that's only thing I didn't upgrade. I'm running a gtx 780 oc windforce card overclockers and the FX CPU was serverly bottlenecking the whole computer. Now it's the GPU. CPU pinned at 30% usage and GPU 99% and running 80fps 1080p high in call of duty so will do for now. Untill I finally decide what GPU to get. 

Its not the memory so much as the memory controller on the cpu. That memory would likely post right up on a current gen Intel rig. Thats how Intel can keep performance high even still on 14nm chips.

I was using a gtx 770 earlier last year and upgraded to a gtx 980, I shouls ahve gotten the ti model for 6gb vram, but COD is about maxed out which is cool, I think I have shadows turn down a click.

A lot of people have the same memory issue as you do and its a bummer. 

Cant even help everyone as they all have different models of ram most of it sk hynix chips of a pretty low binning.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Its not the memory so much as the memory controller on the cpu. That memory would likely post right up on a current gen Intel rig. Thats how Intel can keep performance high even still on 14nm chips.

I was using a gtx 770 earlier last year and upgraded to a gtx 980, I shouls ahve gotten the ti model for 6gb vram, but COD is about maxed out which is cool, I think I have shadows turn down a click.

A lot of people have the same memory issue as you do and its a bummer. 

Cant even help everyone as they all have different models of ram most of it sk hynix chips of a pretty low binning.

2133 ram with half the IF

DSC_0232.JPG

3466mhz ram with half the IF, sadly the timings didn't work. 

DSC_0235.JPG

1 hour ago, Leon86 said:

3466mhz ram with half the IF, sadly the timings didn't work. 

DSC_0235.JPG

Yea, super nasty bad memory.

Try 3200 16s

Set SOC to 1.1v 

Try memory voltage 1.410v.

(Still safe voltages)

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yea, super nasty bad memory.

Try 3200 16s

Set SOC to 1.1v 

Try memory voltage 1.410v.

(Still safe voltages)

Still not booting. Is it a option to change the mem to 3466mhz and tighten timings abit?

I'm updating the bios as I'm writing this. See if it makes any difference. And was massively out of date