Logitech Z906, Edifier S2000Pro replacement - LF Speaker + Amplifier + Subwoofer + Free Knowledge

Aznsteil
13 hours ago, Aznsteil said:

Lastly I need to connect them with each other. Googled speaker wire, and OF COURSE there are options.

Material full copper, copper aluminium, different kind of convinient plugs such as banana, u form and gauge ... omg gauge ...

I watched Techquickie for that to get some idea what I'm dealing with. The lesser the gauge digit, the bigger the thickness. The longer the distance, the lesser the gauge size. Never go beyond 50 feet / 15 meter, or higher frequencies could be lost due to material proberties of copper. So going safe with 4 mm² (6 gauge) full copper instead of 2.5 mm² (10 gauge) copper alu? And please don't tell me clear cable shroud sound better compared to black/whites/any color, I will lose my mind for sure u_u

Just grab 16 gauge AmazonBasics wire, or 14 gauge if you like, It's pretty cheap per metre from them, Or if you want nicer looking wire, have a look at Chord company, QED and Dynavox, It's not needed but can improve the aesthetics of your setup.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01M0BCSWF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=dynavox&qid=1578838095&sr=8-4

I really like Chord Company's C-Screen wire, it's pretty cheap and is relatively flexible, and feels great in the hands.

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/chord-c-screen-speaker-cable-per-metre

These also look pretty damn nice:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FKJDTPY/ref=vp_d_pb_TIER4_cmlr_lp_B01M0BCSWF_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FKJDTPY&pd_rd_w=sovC0&pf_rd_p=4a4fa381-fb75-474c-918f-ad800326f4a8&pf_rd_r=dc190a46-a0fc-4b34-9951-f4920d012986&pd_rd_wg=dKPLg&pd_rd_r=dc190a46-a0fc-4b34-9951-f4920d012986

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

13 hours ago, Aznsteil said:

@Derkoli Listen everyone! This guy is actually a legend! Not only that his audio stuff value seems to increase on a daily basis, he absolutely kicked ass with every weird question I throwed at him. Every. Single. One. You spend so much time helping me out, LTT should pay you for staying around here, because quality wise your post were really valueable. I really can not thank you enough, really. I mean really, thank you!

No problem :)

If you want any help with the setup, you can always send me a message :) I'd be happy to help.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

I run into a question and after some googling, I still don't find a definitive answer: The Onkyo TX-NR686 has a subwoofer output. I'm still confused about (pre) sub out and LFE out.

Pre = just means pre amplified, you need to power your subwoofer with a dedicated amplifier still

Sub out does NOT equal LFE right? Sub out is a dedicated connection for the subwoofer and the receiver will deal what it should feed to them on its own. LFE on the other hand is more like a marketing term, used in relation with Dolby Digital, DTS and everything related to multi channel home theater movie experience. If the movie or the content has that LFE information for your sub, your sub will produce sound, otherwise not. Thats why REL advices to connect both, level input and LFE .1 at the same time "because there's lots of information and movie soundtracks that's not captured in LFE channel".

My question is relative simple though. What kind if cable is:

LFE Cable

Subwoofer Cable

Is/are they coaxial digital? Are they RCA? They are cinch for sure. Are they mono, or stereo? Are they interchangeable with normal RCA stereo connectors?. I want to connect the active subwoofer of the Z906 to the receiver (and its satellite speaker to it as well, just for testing purposes). Receiver sub output = one connector. Do I use a coaxial digital cable to connect to the digital coaxial input of the Z906 Subwoofer? Or do I use a subwoofer cable y cable into stereo RCA like this one?

How is it supposed to be done? I'm guessing a subwoofer cable = coaxial cable, but I'm not 100% sure and I want to do it right. (I know bypassing the Z906 amp by connecting everything to the receiver and using its sub as simple active sub is not the "suppose to be" way, it should work out in theory right?) I'd have 2.1 and a 5.1 system, shared sub, on an interim basis. It is slowly coming together and everything seems to fit perfectly with no leftovers. Very satisfying! I hope you still have the energy to stay on the final sprint with me :) 

spacer.png

Screenshot_10.png

4 hours ago, Aznsteil said:

My question is relative simple though. What kind if cable is:

LFE Cable

Subwoofer Cable

Same exact thing.

You won't be able to connect the z906 satellites with the subwoofer out, as the receiver will do crossover stuff by itself, so won't send any high frequencies out of the Subwoofer output.

Also, Subwoofer cables are just one side of an RCA cable, it's analogue. It's just subwoofer cables are generally well shielded and quite long.

However, you can use the Line out (Zone 2) Next to the subwoofer outputs to the Z906, as they send all frequencies.

(Sorry for the crude diagram lol)

image.png.f606688e06befac3f3e2e7ce6f533a71.png

Thats why REL advices to connect both, level input and LFE .1 at the same time "because there's lots of information and movie soundtracks that's not captured in LFE channel".

They usually recommend this as the LFE channel is sometimes done seperatley, but the Subwoofer pre-out channel is essentially all the bass frequencies from all the channels mixed together, then spit out to the subwoofer

21 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

You won't be able to connect the z906 satellites with the subwoofer out

I was planning plugging in those satellites directly to the receiver with loudspeaker cables, as they were independant speakers and plugging in the subwoofer into receiver's sub out as it were an indepedant active sub. Satellites wont pass through the amp in the z906 subwoofer and remote of the Z906 would serve as subwoofer volume control only. Isn't that going to work?

Receiver high level output 1 - 5 = 5 logitech z906 satellites

Receiver high level output zone 2 and 7 - 8 = B&W 607 with bi-wiring

Receiver sub out (6) = Z906 active subwoofer only

Not good?

Edit: I just realised bi-wiring would only work if b&w 607 would be connected to high level 1 and 2. So I'd just try without bi-wiring, just plugging 607 into zone 2

I was planning plugging in those satellites directly to the receiver with loudspeaker cables, as they were independant speakers and plugging in the subwoofer into receiver's sub out as it were an indepedant active sub. Satellites wont pass through the amp in the z906 subwoofer and remote of the Z906 would serve as subwoofer volume control only. Isn't that going to work?

Receiver high level output 1 - 5 = 5 logitech z906 satellites

Receiver high level output zone 2 and 7 - 8 = B&W 607 with bi-wiring

Receiver sub out (6) = Z906 active subwoofer only

Not good?

Edit: I just realised bi-wiring would only work if b&w 607 would be connected to high level 1 and 2. So I'd just try without bi-wiring, just plugging 607 into zone 2

So what is powering the 607's? The Subwoofer or the Receiver?

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

So what is powering the 607's? The Subwoofer or the Receiver?

the receiver of course (into zone 2 high level of the receiver). Nothing is plugged in into the sub. 

the receiver of course. Nothing is plugged in into the sub.

Right good, that will work fine then. So you have a seperate surround system for whatever, then a stereo system for music. This will work fine as the Subwoofer pre-out is mono, so you won't be missing any information by only having one RCA plugged into the sub.