Modern Samsung Phones With Device Care Caught Sending Data Back to Chinese Servers

Hobox

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/ektg8u/chinese_spyware_preinstalled_on_all_samsung/

A reddit user discovered that the Storage section of the Device Care software that Samsung uses in their Android distribution is made by a shady Chinese company named Qihoo 360. This company is well-known to use shady tactics and trickery to install adware and spyware on users' products. Using Wireshark, the reddit user was able to confirm that the company does indeed send data back to chinese servers, under at least two domain names: 360.cn & 360safe.com. To make matters worse, Device Care and its individual sections cannot be disabled by the user without Root privileges.

Yet another worse detail is outlined in the comments of the original thread, from which a user discovered that this company is sending sensitive data back to the Chinese servers over standard, unencrypted HTTP. The sensitive data includes details like your device's IMEI number and MAC address.

-----

Given how this topic is rapidly blowing up on Reddit, I hope it can have enough outreach for media sites with actual contacts at Samsung to pick up on this. Maybe Samsung would be willing to work on shutting down these oversights and support their users.

Already posted. Just fyi.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

wow, interesting news, I wonder what action Samsung will take and how quickly they can update their devices.

-= Locked =-

I am locking this for 2 reasons;

1. This was previously posted but was moved due not being in line with posting guidelines.
  2. Reddit is not exactly known trusted source for news content thus making this a hearsay/rumour piece and this makes it not in line with the guidelines for a news post.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER