CapFrameX v1.4.0 beta-test with RTSS overlay

Please participate in the beta-test v1.4.0. Download: https://github.com/DevTechProfile/CapFrameX/releases/tag/v1.4.0beta

CapFrameX is a modern frametime capture and analysis tool based on PresentMon. More infos: https://github.com/DevTechProfile/CapFrameX/blob/master/README.md

We've implemented a RTSS client to show status information on the overlay. It would be nice if you give it a try. Feedbak is always welcome.

New features:

• Overlay based on RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server)
    • Capture service status (watch ingame what happens while working with CX)
    • Capture timer
    • Run history
    • Run history aggregation (more consistent than simply averaging multiple results)
    • Frametime/framerate
  • Saving aggregated recording file
  • Frametime chart range slider (start, end, slidable window)

In this beta version, we've included a new "Overlay" page on which you can customise what RTSS should show you.
RTSS will automatically start with CX if it's not already running and the CX overlay items will also work together with existing applications, that already use RTSS, like the MSI Afterburner.

Things you can do with the CX overlay:

• Show fps and/or frametimes
  • Show the status of the capture service aswell as the remaining capture time(if set)
  • Show a run history with common analysis parameters

The second new funcion in this beta is the run history, which can also be activated on the "Overlay" page. With this, you can set a number of runs to be made and also choose up to 2 metrics in addition to the average fps. These metrics will be shown on the overlay for each run. You can reset the history via hotkey or alternatively just start a new run once the history is full. In addition to the run history, we've also added an aggregation function, that can be activated when using the run history. If the aggregation is active, the frametimes of all your runs will be saved to a single record file, once your run history is full to give you the performance parameters based on all the runs combined*. This aggregated result will also be shown on the overlay. You can choose if you want the single history items to be saved as a file too or if you just want the aggregated result.

So especially for reviewers or people who want to get more reliable benchmark results in general this means no more writing down of multiple benchmark results and then calculating the average values out of them, CX does all that for you now.

We've added an option on how to deal with outlier runs but for this beta, we only included the standard option which is to ignore them and just combine the runs once the history is full.
In the final release, you'll also have the option to define outliers (choose the metric to determine outliers and choose a percentage how much the metric value has to differ from the median to be an outlier).
If you get an outlier, it will be marked and you have to do another run to replace it. Once there are no more outliers in the run history, the aggregation starts.

This is another big step on getting the most reliable results out of your benchmark runs.

Aside from the overlay stuff, we've also changed a little feature that shouldn't be left unspoken of. The old "cutting mode" on the Analysis and Comparison page is now replaced with a range slider, so now you can cut the graphs exatcly the way you want and also move around the remaining time window freely across the graph.

*Based on how aggregation works, the percentile parameters you'll get out of it may differ from the ones you get when taking the percentiles of multiple runs and calculating an average out of them.
That's because with the aggregation all parameters get calculated again from the frametime data of all the runs combined instead of calculating them in steps and then averaging them.

RTSS

To use CX overlay the latest RivaTuner Statistics Server has to be installed:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Troubleshoot

If the application crashes when the overlay is activated, install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019: vc_redist.x64.exe

Ingame impressions

CX and Afterburner overlay together, RTSS is multi-client-capable

GuPRqK3.png

Making 3 runs to fill the run history

7Oi6NVv.png

Result line is the aggregated dataset (all runs combined into one)

6pt9vry.png

This looks like data I want to know for my system.  I’m totally game to try it though the data from my aging sustem might do you minimal good. I looked up the tutorial in the link but there is only a video and the audio is in German. Sadly my understanding of German is on the mentally handicapped 3 year old level so I couldn’t gather much from it.  Might some subtitles or a written tutorial be made available?  Even if it was written German I could google translate it.  I don’t know what to do with YouTube audio though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

We should have made a video in english too. Sorry about that. I'll give you a text later that explains the new overlay better. Otherwise, there's a documentation* on GitHub, see the link above.

* doesn't include overlay yet

I was looking for something like this, MSI's overlay would not display GPU usage at all.

Ill give this a shot and report back!

6 minutes ago, ZeroStrat said:

We should have made a video in english too. Sorry about that. I'll give you a text later that explains the new overlay better. Otherwise, there's a documentation on GitHub, see the link above.

You are referring to https://github.com/DevTechProfile/CapFrameX/blob/master/README.md

I assume.

there is a heading that says manual much like there is a heading that says video tutorial but there is no link.  I’m guessing the remaining text IS the manual.

it seems to describe what different parts of the GUI do and how to control it.  Apparently I have to have .net 4.7.2 installed to be able to run it.

Im unsure of the difference between a requirement and a build requirement though.  To be able to run this thing Do I also need to download visual studio 2019, WiX 3.11.1, the WiX toolset visual studio extension and the extension for the extension that is linked?

Sorry if this is unusually ignorant.  I’m just some Schmoe who wants to know how fast his computer is running stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@Rotta The CX overay is not intended to replace the Afterburner overlay. It is a way to be able to perform benchmarks in a professional way without tabbing between applications (game and CX). But, more monitoring parameter like CPU/GPU usage coming soon.

2 minutes ago, ZeroStrat said:

The CX overay is not intended to replace the Afterburner overlay. It is a way to be able to perform benchmarks in a professional way without tabbing between applications (game and CX). But, more monitoring parameter like CPU/GPU usage coming soon.

It may be intended as professional but it may have wider use.  It looks like it’s one heck of a lot more useful than just running fraps in a corner and listening to the speed of your gpu fan.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Apparently I have to have .net 4.7.2 installed to be able to run it.

Im unsure of the difference between a requirement and a build requirement though.  To be able to run this thing Do I also need to download visual studio 2019, WiX 3.11.1, the WiX toolset visual studio extension and the extension for the extension that is linked?

No no, just install the tool. The installer manages all you need. What you need to know is how the ignore list and hotkey are working. But this you can find in the linked documentation.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It may be intended as professional but it may have wider use.  It looks like it’s one heck of a lot more useful than just running fraps in a corner and listening to the speed of your gpu fan.

Yes, the run history and run history aggregation together shown on the ovleray is a powerful tool to check outliers whlile benching the scene n times.

I have added some further explanations in the initial post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have problem with PresentMon running with as Administrator, it will keep spawning new windows at the speed of light. Is there a way for me to not run CapFrameX with non-elevated PresentMon? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |