How long will my gpu be able to keep up with modern AAA games? ?

GamerBlake

I have an EVGA XC2 Ultra 2080 Ti and while I know its a powerful gpu these days I’m curious how long it should be able to play the latest games at like medium settings or better?

Will it become obsolete in a year or two or will it still put out decent frame rates at medium settings for a while longer?

It was a really expensive gpu that took a long time to save up for and I’m hoping I will be able to use it for at least 3 years even if I have to lower some settings/features.

Thanks!

P.S. Please no comments or opinions on whether or not a 2080 Ti was a “smart” purchase or not. I got it for me with my own money and my own preferences and while it may not be what other people would have bought please respect my choices in my own computer.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

Depends on the resolution of course. But at 1440p it will easily play games for 3 or even more years.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Well let me just tell you, we really don't know what amd/nvidia have planned for the future. That being said a 2080Ti should be able to play the latest games for a while to come. Again we don't know what the future will really bring.

Edit: for context I'm still using an xfx 7950 in my second pc to play games and that gpu is from 2012 era.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

5 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

I have an EVGA XC2 Ultra 2080 Ti and while I know its a powerful gpu these days I’m curious how long it should be able to play the latest games at like medium settings or better?

Will it become obsolete in a year or two or will it still put out decent frame rates at medium settings for a while longer?

It was a really expensive gpu that took a long time to save up for and I’m hoping I will be able to use it for at least 3 years even if I have to lower some settings/features.

Thanks!

P.S. Please no comments or opinions on whether or not a 2080 Ti was a “smart” purchase or not. I got it for me with my own money and my own preferences and while it may not be what other people would have bought please respect my choices in my own computer.

I used my gtx 1070 for about 3 and a half years, didnt really need to change it yet, but an opportunity presented itself. You should be ok for the next 3-5 years. 

Edit: ofcourse, im not talking about 4k ultra, but anything 4k low-medium to 1440p medium-high should last

No-one really can tell especially with ray tracing being in its infancy your gpu may age fine or the level of ray tracing/ general textures may become more difficult. From my personal experience my gtx 780 worked absolutely fine at 1080p on almost all games even today I only upgraded once I bought an Ultra-wide monitor. If you lower settings you'll most likely be able to get well over three years out of it at playable framerates bar any crazy changes in the industry especially running the top of the line card now. If you go buy nvidias typical progression taking the gtx 1080ti out because it was a strong outlier your card will land some-wear between 3070-3080 and 4060-4070 which in line with the normal price to performance ratio and refresh times should have you equivalent to a mid tier card about 3-4 years from now. But of course this is all speculation and with the way the graphics card market has slowed you may be fine for much longer. Now if you are at 4k this may be a different story but even then worst comes to worst you can also downsample in extremely difficult games to 1080p so you have 1 rendered pixel displayed by 4 giving perfect scaling and making the games much easier to run without wierd artifacts that come from resolutions that don't perfectly divide.

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi