Can we make a standard for Build Questions?

Statik
Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,
33 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I wonder if pre-filling a new topic form with a template would be a neat compromise. If you don't care for the template, you can click on the Trash Can icon to delete everything.

not sure if that's possible, @colonel_mortis would have to look at it.

17 hours ago, Statik said:

Well make people read the stickies, or start deleting the posts, just like reddit.

This isn't Reddit.

We can't force people to read anything, if we present them with a "pre-posting-screen-with-suggestions", 99% of them will scroll down and click next. In the end we'll have roughly the same amount of threads with missing information.

If it's getting annoying, don't reply and move on, you (or anyone else) is not obligated to reply. People should read the rules when getting on a new platform, not reading the rules is on them not you ;)

So I personally really enjoy looking at people planned builds.and helping them plan a build that's perfect for them, but it gives me an aneurysm with how many posts are like:

- "Hi I'm building a PC recommend me something good"

- "Recommend me a good gaming pc big budget/budget flexible/low budget"

The list goes on.

Can a mod or someone making a stickied post or something with a template/format that you have to follow when asking for advice? I.e.

Location (and do you have access to microcenter):

Budget (use actual #, in what currency, and how flexible):

What is your PC used for? Give details (i.e. what types of games if gaming, or what type of programs you will be running)

Will you be overclocking?

Do you need peripherals (i.e. Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, Headset, etc), or just the tower?

Do you have any style preference, gear preference, or a size preference (i.e. Mini ITX, ATX, etc.).

Any other details?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

The sticky in the 'New Builds and Planning sub forum" already does this, but who bothers reading the stickies I guess..?

*Something something* it should be stickied, but even you didn't find it..? *Something something*

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

1. Budget & Location

You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

2. Aim

What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need different levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors

How many monitors do you plan on running? Do you plan on moving to more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

But to be honest, the more vague threads with a PCPartPicker list do better in terms of replies, in my anecdotal experience.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

The sticky in the 'New Builds and Planning sub forum" already does this, but who bothers reading the stickies I guess..?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/

But to be honest, the more vague threads with a PCPartPicker list do better in terms of replies, in my anecdotal experience.

Well make people read the stickies, or start deleting the posts, just like reddit.

And they can include a PCPartpicker link if they want, that's even better. But I'm trying to get rid of the ones where people just throw a one liner out saying "build me a pc plz"

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

13 minutes ago, Statik said:

And they can include a PCPartpicker link if they want, that's even better. But I'm trying to get rid of the ones where people just throw a one liner out saying "build me a pc plz"

That's not a very good way to welcome new users. The blatant mis-use of moderator powers is one of the things I would like this forum not to copy from Reddit.

I think this has been discussed many times before, not specifically the new builds and planning stuff, but having mandatory reading time before posting, which has ultimately always been shot down because they want to be open to users.

I always like the motto of "Put as much effort in your question, as you would like in the answers".

That is why people like to throw out way too expensive builds for these types of people to cover bases, or why they actually ask questions and/or link that sticky thread to show people what needs to be known before making any sort of recommendation.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Statik said:

Well make people read the stickies

that would be nice but also impossible to implement.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, minibois said:

That's not a very good way to welcome new users. The blatant mis-use of moderator powers is one of the things I would like this forum not to copy from Reddit.

I think this has been discussed many times before, not specifically the new builds and planning stuff, but having mandatory reading time before posting, which has ultimately always been shot down because they want to be open to users.

I always like the motto of "Put as much effort in your question, as you would like in the answers".

That is why people like to throw out way too expensive builds for these types of people to cover bases, or why they actually ask questions and/or link that sticky thread to show people what needs to be known before making any sort of recommendation.

I don't think it's abuse. I'm not talking just ban or delete, but remove the post (or hide it if that's possible), and explain that they need to actually read the rules and posting requirements before they waste peoples time and do something unproductive. How's that abusive?

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

this already exists. people just dont read stickys.

(you would know this if YOU had ready the sticky.  oh the irony)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Not to be a dick to the OP or anything but can you really say something like “make people read the sticky’s” when you yourself didn’t read the sticky before suggesting something that was included in said sticky? I mean I agree with your point, just kinda seems like a “throwing rocks in glass houses” kinda thing. And before you say you didn’t read it because you weren’t asking a question about building a pc, you were suggesting what you thought would be a change to how it’s handled which should have triggered you reading the current guidelines anyways.  

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

Not to be a dick to the OP or anything but can you really say something like “make people read the sticky’s” when you yourself didn’t read the sticky before suggesting something that was included in said sticky? I mean I agree with your point, just kinda seems like a “throwing rocks in glass houses” kinda thing. And before you say you didn’t read it because you weren’t asking a question about building a pc, you were suggesting what you thought would be a change to how it’s handled which should have triggered you reading the current guidelines anyways.  

Holy fuck. Maybe look 1 post up and read how I said I read the sticky, and I propose changes to the sticky, and introduce something that forces people to read the rules and regs.

Speaking of throwing rocks at a glass house I also like commenting before reading.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 hours ago, Statik said:

Holy fuck. Maybe look 1 post up and read how I said I read the sticky, and I propose changes to the sticky, and introduce something that forces people to read the rules and regs.

Speaking of throwing rocks at a glass house I also like commenting before reading.

Read your OP again and try to convince me you actual read the sticky first. Before you start swearing how bout you stop lying.

8 hours ago, Statik said:

Can a mod or someone making a stickied post or something with a template/format that you have to follow when asking for advice? I.e.

You never said in this post, the original post, anything about amending the already existing sticky note. You asked them to make one and suggested something basically exactly the same as what was already in place. If you read it first you would not have written it the way you did. Instead when you got called on it already existing you tried to lie about reading it first and you just wanted to suggest changes and enforcement. 

You had the opportunity to just say "oops I missed that, is there a way we can enforce it being followed" but instead you lied about it to try to save face and tried to jump down my throat about calling you on. Take some responsibility for yourself.

7 hours ago, Statik said:

I don't think it's abuse. I'm not talking just ban or delete, but remove the post (or hide it if that's possible), and explain that they need to actually read the rules and posting requirements before they waste peoples time and do something unproductive. How's that abusive?

It's not that I am saying these proposed rules are abuse, I am just saying moderator abuse in Reddit is quite widespread.

But that's a topic for another day...

What I mainly mean to say is that mandatory reading before making a post is something that deters people from a forum. It's not enforceable either. You can enforce people adhering to the standard, but you can't enforce people having read it.

I think the only things needed to make any sort of build suggestion is:

- general purpose of the PC

- budget

From there you can go start recommending things and see where it lands.

We have to keep in mind everyone on this forum is human (probably), so we can treat each other like humans. That means if there is anything unclear we can query each other about that.

No need to punish everyone (who makes a build suggestion thread) for a small minority who provides too little context.

I would rather propose it being against the forum rules to provide no context for your wanted PC build (the 'i want a PC'-threads).

But it's just as easy in those cases it's just as easy as a member willing to help other members (because that is what you should be if you are in 'New Builds and Planning') to simply say 'Hey, welcome to the forum. To properly give advice I need some more context for your PC build' and then you either ask for the context you desire or paste a link to the sticky already in place.

Plus, you would be doing collateral damage by making it so not following the guidelines is against the rules. It would make it so you and I (normal members, not moderators) wouldn't be allowed to call them out on not following the guidelines. That is because at the moment they are guidelines, not rules.

I am all for enforced guidelines in the News sub forum, but I disagree making them mandatory in the new builds sub. 

But that's just my opinion on this situation.

7 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Read your OP again and try to convince me you actual read the sticky first. Before you start swearing how bout you stop lying.

You never said in this post, the original post, anything about amending the already existing sticky note. You asked them to make one and suggested something basically exactly the same as what was already in place. If you read it first you would not have written it the way you did. Instead when you got called on it already existing you tried to lie about reading it first and you just wanted to suggest changes and enforcement. 

You had the opportunity to just say "oops I missed that, is there a way we can enforce it being followed" but instead you lied about it to try to save face and tried to jump down my throat about calling you on. Take some responsibility for yourself.

Ok well I worded my OP wrong, but if you read my comments it’s pretty obvious. I’ve been on this forum for years and new build was always my most active sub and I’ve referenced the sticky more times than I can fathom.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I wonder if pre-filling a new topic form with a template would be a neat compromise. If you don't care for the template, you can click on the Trash Can icon to delete everything.

I really like this idea

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

33 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

17 hours ago, Statik said:

This isn't Reddit.

We can't force people to read anything, if we present them with a "pre-posting-screen-with-suggestions", 99% of them will scroll down and click next. In the end we'll have roughly the same amount of threads with missing information.

If it's getting annoying, don't reply and move on, you (or anyone else) is not obligated to reply. People should read the rules when getting on a new platform, not reading the rules is on them not you ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

This isn't Reddit.

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Unfortunately not

Well that's all I needed then.

Thanks.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro