Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NikoBellic1243

Why are my temps so high?

Laptops are always going to have a problem with cooling, that's a given. But modern Intel CPU's, and that one in particular have a max operating temp of 100C. It seems high since only up until 4 years ago, Intel were the "cooler' chips while AMD was known for their space heaters. So long as you're not hitting the max 100C, it is perfectly safe to operate at those temps. Some tips though that may help with cooling is to angle the bottom half of the laptop, meaning the end that connects to the screen is elevated above the end where your trackpad is. This helps heat move in its natural direction, upwards. Also ensure the vents have room to breathe. Laptops nowadays are going for a slim design which also means the feet of the laptio provide very little room. So for light use while traveling, it works great, but for hardcore gaming, you're going to want to figure out a way to allow the vents to breathe.

As far as performance in GTAV, that is quite a demanding game and I have noticed stuttering in my rig as well which you can see in my signature, it's no slouch but HDD's do seem to give me issue with this game, so if you can squeeze it into your SSD, I'd recommend that. Otherwise, some laptops allow you to easily swap out the drives, and I would highly recommend tossing in a 1TB SSD as they're the same size (2.5"), you can usually find them on sale various times throughout the year.

One other thing in regards to cooling, you can try going into the BIOS to see if you can adjust the fan profiles to something more aggressive so it doesn't let the CPU heat up so much before turning on the fans.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, yesterday, I bought the Dell G7 laptop with RTX 2060 6 GB DDRM and Intel I7-9750H. I set up the laptop, deleted Mcafee and installed HWmoniter and all of a sudden my fans went wild. They went silent in about a minute but would start up again randomly. I looked at my temps and the max value for my CPU was 91 C. FREAKING 91.

So I thought maybe I should run a demanding game to see how the machine performs. I installed and opened GTA V. The first weird thing I noticed was that the movement of my curser wasn't smooth. I went to the settings and the game had set its settings to the lowest possible so I thought that maybe it hadn't recognized my GPU so I restarted the game and everything looked fine in the settings. I changed some settings and ran about 3 benchmarks, minimized the game, checked my CPU temps and the highs were in FREAKING 90s. I mean, what the heck? Surprisingly, even with such high temps, the benchmarks showed consistent 60 FPS with occasional dips to mid-50s.

I shut down the game and downloaded Cinebench. I ran five stress tests in a row and the temps start out with low 90's but soon drop to low 80's. My average score was 2725 pts.

So, what do you guys think? I only have around 14 days to return it so I'd like to find out if there are any issues as soon as possible. I really love this machine and saved for a long time to be able to afford it. I wouldn't want all that to go to waste.

Posted · Best Answer

Laptops are always going to have a problem with cooling, that's a given. But modern Intel CPU's, and that one in particular have a max operating temp of 100C. It seems high since only up until 4 years ago, Intel were the "cooler' chips while AMD was known for their space heaters. So long as you're not hitting the max 100C, it is perfectly safe to operate at those temps. Some tips though that may help with cooling is to angle the bottom half of the laptop, meaning the end that connects to the screen is elevated above the end where your trackpad is. This helps heat move in its natural direction, upwards. Also ensure the vents have room to breathe. Laptops nowadays are going for a slim design which also means the feet of the laptio provide very little room. So for light use while traveling, it works great, but for hardcore gaming, you're going to want to figure out a way to allow the vents to breathe.

As far as performance in GTAV, that is quite a demanding game and I have noticed stuttering in my rig as well which you can see in my signature, it's no slouch but HDD's do seem to give me issue with this game, so if you can squeeze it into your SSD, I'd recommend that. Otherwise, some laptops allow you to easily swap out the drives, and I would highly recommend tossing in a 1TB SSD as they're the same size (2.5"), you can usually find them on sale various times throughout the year.

One other thing in regards to cooling, you can try going into the BIOS to see if you can adjust the fan profiles to something more aggressive so it doesn't let the CPU heat up so much before turning on the fans.

i7-7700K @ 4.7Ghz | GIGABYTE AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE RTX 2080 | GIGABYTE Z270X Ultra Gaming | 32GB (8GB x 4, Dual Channel) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus Boot Drive | 1.5 TB Total Samsung 860 Evo SSD, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 

Every relatively portable gaming laptop I've ever used has run incredibly hot and on the verge of throttling during use.

It's normal. You can't have it all, and laptops are a glaring example of that.

This is why gaming laptops are kinda ehhhh

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3466 OC // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

Posted · Original PosterOP
On 1/5/2020 at 5:49 PM, Tacos4all said:

I apologize for the late reply, but thanks a lot for taking the time to give a long and concise answer. It's people like you who makes this community so great. Cheers!