Tech Quicke and lies about free Windows

homeap5

Why someone with that reputation, with 1,5 million views, with 52000 likes, says that nonsense unverified opinions?

If I had a channel with that many visitors, at least I would try to spend some time to investigate problem, not speak unverified thoughts.

This is quote from Microsoft website link

"Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method."

It's not written there anything like "you can use our software for free with our annoying watermark because we don't protect our software using hardcore methods".

If searching internet for FACTS is too much for Tech Quickie, there is always Microsoft Call Center. Or you can even write to Microsoft question: "is your system free? can I use it with watermark, because you not made better protection?".

Seriously, I expected something more from Tech Quickie. With that number of viewers, this guy is basically TV reporter and it is his responsibility to provide verified informations.

17 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

He is not a reporter or journalist. He is an entertainer on YouTube. His only responsibility is to upload videos. If you want verified factual information, don't go to YouTube, if you do, be prepared to take everything with a grain of salt and stay sceptical. 

Yes, he is reporter/journalist. It's modern media time, you don't must work for CNN to be a reporter anymore. He provides informations and earn money for that. It's not some random guy who upload video on YouTube.

i mean its about as free as winrar

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Murasaki said:

I assume free as in it wont lock you down if your trial expires.

There is no trial version of Windows. If you find anywhere on Microsoft website information about trial - let me know.

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

put it this way: it's been 2 days since that video was up and there hasn't been a DMCA or the like from microsoft

doesn't prove the legality and legitimacy of both possibilities, but you'd think they'd do something to stop the use of unactivated installs long before this video

I think Microsoft, as many other companies, have better things to do than fight with every person who spreading misinformations.

For example - on this forum (and on others too) many people says that you can use Windows for free, which is not true (legally). Do you expect that Microsoft should hire hundreds people for answering every post? Proper answer and proper informations they provide on their own website - anyone who is not totally lazy can read it. It's really not their job to educate people how to use internet, where to find informations and why is not so difficult to learn something instead of guessing, like many people do.

17 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, he is reporter/journalist. It's modern media time

that he's part of a media group and posts on a platform that has reporters on it doesn't make him one automatically. he's a source of information, but generally an indirect one

you can act up about what he's doing, just expect half of the people replying to laugh you right in the face

Edited by LogicalDrm

21 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

that he's part of a media group and posts on a platform that has reporters on it doesn't make him one automatically. he's a source of information, but generally an indirect one

you can act up about what he's doing, just expect half of the people replying to laugh you right in the face

Is this your argument? That some people will laugh me in the face?

Well, other people that want to discuss using arguments may laugh in your face. But still - it's not proper way to discuss. At least among serious people.

21 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i mean its about as free as winrar

"You can try WinRAR before buy, its trial version is available in downloads"

It's from official WinRAR website. Find me anything like that on Microsoft website.

Just now, homeap5 said:

"You can try WinRAR before buy, its trial version is available in downloads"

It's from official WinRAR website. Find me anything like that on Microsoft website.

and you can keep using it after the trial, even if you are not allowed too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

Is this your argument? That some people will laugh me in the face?

no, it's just something that I'll note that will happen

i do have a question... are you even a lawyer?

17 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

There is no trial version of Windows. If you find anywhere on Microsoft website information about trial - let me know.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

i do have a question... are you even a lawyer?

And you?

Here, on this forum, if anyone even start discussion about piracy - thread is closed. But hey - using unactivated Windows is somehow good?

I don't understand why people can't here discuss about piracy, but can use illegal copies of Windows and it's ok. I'm guessing is because people don't want to read anything, don't want to check informations, they say what they think is true, but never checks the facts.

Both (piracy and using non activated Windows) should be allowed or banned. Result is the same - Microsoft don't get any money for their product.

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't even install without a valid key, but it does.

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't function without a valid key, but it does.

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't install feature updates, but it does.

If it were such an issue the Microsoft would have fixed these "oversights" but they don't.

Just as I was contractually obligated to pay for a phone contract, but the provider failed to setup and take payments for 12 months whilst sending me monthly bills showing the previous one as paid. I had no obligation to pay up for them 12 months of usage as the service provider had made mistakes, not me.

11 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

using unactivated Windows is somehow good?

If you've downloaded a Windows 10 ISO from their site/app, and used it without activating it, then you're not really pirating.

Both (piracy and using non activated Windows) should be allowed or banned. Result is the same

Please don't equate the two.

Microsoft don't get any money for their product.

Where's your proof?

The video you're complaining about already shows you how Microsoft makes money from Windows 10.

You're free to use Windows 10 without an activation code, if Microsoft wanted everyone to use an activated version, then they would have done what they did with Windows 7.

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And you?

I'm not, but thanks for asking

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Both (piracy and using non activated Windows) should be allowed or banned. Result is the same - Microsoft don't get any money for their product.

that's something you have to discuss with Mortis, not us

and as vegetablestu said, if they cared so much, why isn't the video down yet? it's not like microsoft doesn't know people do this. windows server for example hardlocks you out

7 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Anyone uses that version?

i use education myself, which is a downgraded version of it... but as you could've guessed, it's called enterprise for a reason

35 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Yes, he is reporter/journalist. It's modern media time, you don't must work for CNN to be a reporter anymore. He provides informations and earn money for that. It's not some random guy who upload video on YouTube.

So do you have any evidence that they are wrong about being able to use windows without activating it? People have been doing it for years. MS knows about it. And have done nothing about it. 

If you are going to factually state they are wrong then you must have some evidence right?

Also you dont have the authority to tell someone they are or arent a journalist. Just because you view them as one doesnt mean they are.

Win10 isn’t free. Microsoft was just being nice and decided to let users have it as long as they have a valid licenses of at least win7 and higher. When some build a brand new system they will not get a free copy of win10, they have to buy the license. 

as for the non activating. When your doing a bunch of test and setup scenarios, activating is moot, because it’s constantly getting wiped out and when you pass the number of online activations, then trying to reactivate becomes a pain or worse make your key become invalid.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't even install without a valid key, but it does.

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't function without a valid key, but it does.

If it were such an issue then the OS wouldn't install feature updates, but it does.

If it were such an issue the Microsoft would have fixed these "oversights" but they don't.

Just as I was contractually obligated to pay for a phone contract, but the provider failed to setup and take payments for 12 months whilst sending me monthly bills showing the previous one as paid. I had no obligation to pay up for them 12 months of usage as the service provider had made mistakes, not me.

Funny i am having the same issue/luck with charter.

3 years ago we were going to be done for a few months so i turned off the internet and cable.

Came home and cable was off but internet was still working. Havent paid in 3 years and its still working. They even upgraded my speeds last year lol.

25 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And you?

Here, on this forum, if anyone even start discussion about piracy - thread is closed. But hey - using unactivated Windows is somehow good?

I don't understand why people can't here discuss about piracy, but can use illegal copies of Windows and it's ok. I'm guessing is because people don't want to read anything, don't want to check informations, they say what they think is true, but never checks the facts.

Why are you comparing it to piracy? This has absolutely nothing to do with piracy imo.
You can download it legally from the official Microsoft website for free and use it for as long as you want.
Obviously Microsoft doesn't want you to do that but you can do it if you want to.

Is it the right/moral thing to do? No. But is there anything stopping you from doing it? No.

If this is such a problem, why don't they close that loophole? There are a few ways it could be done.

People have done this since 2015, I'm sure Microsoft know this is possible by now.

I think the issue is there seems to be a difference between what windows officially allows one to do and what it de facto allows one to do.  He is taking the de facto position rather than the legal one.  One could say there is a problem because his position is not the legal one, but it’s within spec, unless what he is saying cannot actually be done.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's all about facts, not speculations. You may ask Microsoft and they give you answer is it legal or not. Oh, wait - they already give that answer in EULA. I even quoted it in my first post. You're trying to arguing with facts. Level of protection (or how weak activation servers are made) is not the reason for considering some actions legal.

Someone stole your money? Well, it's against the law or... you protected them not good enough. Guess which one is proper answer.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It's all about facts, not speculations. You may ask Microsoft and they give you answer is it legal or not. Oh, wait - they already give that answer in EULA. I even quoted it in my first post. You're trying to arguing with facts. Level of protection (or how weak activation servers are made) is not the reason for considering some actions legal.

Perhaps my use of the term de facto was incorrect.  There seems to be a disconnect between what Microsoft claims is a requirement and what actually is a requirement.  He seems to be pointing out that what he is describing is possible to do whether it is allowed behavior according to the Microsoft EULA or not.  A EULA is a contract, not a law, though it may be binding under law.  A EULA requires the agreement of both parties.  If the EULA is not entered into by both parties it is nothing.  I have not checked out all the ways to acquire a working copy of Windows so I don’t know if they are all possible to do.  I also don’t know which ones have a EULA attached to them.  One issue is that the legality of shrink wrap EULA is in flux, if it has not actually been struck down.  One other point is it is being produced in Canada which may have different views on what is required to make a EULA binding. Your position seems to be that he should not say these things because while they may be possible they are not legal.  I think the point of the video is microsoft is not enforcing enforcing the requirements of its EULA, at least right now.  They might in the future of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.