Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BecauseICanTBH

Are CPUs supposed to just shut themselves off if they reach their TJ max?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just got a TR 3960X CPU and I have only a Noctua U9S cooling it. I'm getting PC crashes during video rendering and I'm wondering if it's due to the CPU overheating.

I assumed it would just throttle if it got too hot. Could it be shutting itself off? Or are these crashes likely to be caused by something else?

It should throttle down, but if it sees it is increasing rather fast, the system might just panic and shut off.

Of course it can be due to other things as well.

The first thing I would probably do is actually check the temps during rendering. E.g. setup a program like HWInfo64, turning on the render and seeing what happens.

Or it could be worth it to check if Windows recording anything about this crash in Event Viewer. Could be due to RAM too for example?

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

How does it crash? Is it a complete system shutdown, or other state? Generally there are two threshold temperatures. One where the CPU goes into thermal throttling, and another higher up where it goes into protective shutdown. So if the system turns itself off, it could be the 2nd stage being reached. If it is some other crash, that's probably not it.

If I'm not mistaken the cooler in question was never designed for Threadripper. It may offer insufficient coverage of the IHS and not cool the chiplets adequately. For sure have a look at temperatures, but do not be surprised if you need a designed for TR cooler to get the most from the system.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 3600, Noctua D9L, G.SKill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, WD Green 240GB SSD, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-8086k, i3-8350k, i7-7920X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700T, i5-6600k, i3-6100, i7-5930k, i7-5820k, i7-5775C, i5-5675C, 2x i7-4590, i5-4570S, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, E5-2667, R7 3700X, R5 3600, R5 2600, R7 1700

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

It should throttle down, but if it sees it is increasing rather fast, the system might just panic and shut off.

Of course it can be due to other things as well.

The first thing I would probably do is actually check the temps during rendering. E.g. setup a program like HWInfo64, turning on the render and seeing what happens.

Or it could be worth it to check if Windows recording anything about this crash in Event Viewer. Could be due to RAM too for example?

The last crash was at less than 90C. The 3960X isn't very well supported in temp monitoring apps yet since it's a new release, but Core Temp 1.15.1 is showing around 90C, maximum of 99C. 

I don't see anything in the Event Viewer about the crashes. Only a "hindsight" event of "the previous shutdown was unexpected".

1 minute ago, porina said:

How does it crash? Is it a complete system shutdown, or other state? Generally there are two threshold temperatures. One where the CPU goes into thermal throttling, and another higher up where it goes into protective shutdown. So if the system turns itself off, it could be the 2nd stage being reached. If it is some other crash, that's probably not it.

If I'm not mistaken the cooler in question was never designed for Threadripper. It may offer insufficient coverage of the IHS and not cool the chiplets adequately. For sure have a look at temperatures, but do not be surprised if you need a designed for TR cooler to get the most from the system.

My monitor seems to have a source-disconnect (blue monitor screen), but for example, my Youtube video will keep playing (sound) for a good 5-8 seconds. Then the PC shuts off and restarts itself.

The cooler does cover the entire IHS, but the TR is probably a bit extreme for such a small cooler. 

I have a feeling this is GPU related. I'm trying a CPU-only render right now, so time will tell.

it depend on how it crash.

if we were speaking about Thermal. then it should be not the case since the Clock were lower gradually after throttle to reach stable temprature. unless it was really heavy rendering. either way the system will shut down the CPU before it got damaged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------    Spec: Asus Vivobook S140UN    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

| CPU: i5-8250U Turbo 3.4Ghz | 

| RAM: 8 single-channel DDR4 2333mhz |

| Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB HTSG HDD

| GPU: MX-150 4Gb 25 TDP |

| Monitor: LGMK430H-B |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

16 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

The last crash was at less than 90C. The 3960X isn't very well supported in temp monitoring apps yet since it's a new release, but Core Temp 1.15.1 is showing around 90C, maximum of 99C. 

I don't see anything in the Event Viewer about the crashes. Only a "hindsight" event of "the previous shutdown was unexpected".

Does Ryzen master work in showing temps?

If the CPU render goes well, you could check the GPU further for any issues. Or you can run Cinebench R20 and compare your scores to the scores others get, to see if your CPU is actually throttling down its speed.

I apologize for the way I am. If my post seemed rude, that was not my intention. Just my ineptness in forming a nice coherent message.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

37 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Did you try monitoring how quickly the temperature goes up while rendering? It could just aswell be that 90C is just the last thing you get to see, but the temp spikes up at such a rate that the system doesn't keep up with displaying that to you, before the protection kicks in.

Based on tdp ratings. Your cooler is insufficient for cooling a threadripper cpu. Cooler is rated for 140 watt tdp while 3960X is rated for 280 watt tdp stock. 

So I'm pretty sure your cpu is getting way too hot and shuts down. Before doing much else, I would totally get a better cooling maybe a god 360 mm aio. Threadripper need a good cooling when under full load. 

You cut also try to under clock cpu to lower voltage and core clock and see if it still shutdown. If not, then I will say you have a thermal issue and needs a better cooler. 

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Does Ryzen master work in showing temps?

If the CPU render goes well, you could check the GPU further for any issues. Or you can run Cinebench R20 and compare your scores to the scores others get, to see if your CPU is actually throttling down its speed.

Good call on Ryzen Master, it's giving me a lot of good info. It's between 83 and 90C during this CPU-only render - which is still going after 1 hour and 45 minutes. Far longer than any of my GPU accelerated renders lasted without crashing. 

43 minutes ago, Intelfreak said:

Based on tdp ratings. Your cooler is insufficient for cooling a threadripper cpu. Cooler is rated for 140 watt tdp while 3960X is rated for 280 watt tdp stock. 

So I'm pretty sure your cpu is getting way too hot and shuts down. Before doing much else, I would totally get a better cooling maybe a god 360 mm aio. Threadripper need a good cooling when under full load. 

You cut also try to under clock cpu to lower voltage and core clock and see if it still shutdown. If not, then I will say you have a thermal issue and needs a better cooler. 

Where are you seeing TDP ratings for the Noctua coolers?

My CPU is only using about 100w during rendering. Utilization is around ~50% on all cores.