SIXTEEN Cores for the Price of EIGHT!

nicklmg
8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

But can it run Minecraft with RTX on?

moar coars = moar raytracing.

So must be able to run it :ph34r:

/s

I am still baffled by the dual socket boards these Chinese manufacturers are able to create on X79.. Let alone just X79 on its own!!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well now I have to watch the video so I can figure out if that was a spelling mistake or intentional.  Thanks a lot @nicklmg.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Forget the xeons, just buy my 1950X instead, no for real I want to get into 240hz gaming now...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Lol this is what I get for copy/pasting without carefully checking the title -_-

33 minutes ago, minibois said:

moar coars = moar raytracing.

So must be able to run it :ph34r:

/s

I am still baffled by the dual socket boards these Chinese manufacturers are able to create on X79.. Let alone just X79 on its own!!

I guess the chipset doesn't really give a damn as it only has one CPU connected to it. It's probably up to the BIOS/UEFI to enable the QPI link and sort out setting up the dual CPU configuration and reporting that to the OS.

54 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Intel Xeon processors on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/1HEe6Ts

Get this motherboard on Aliexpress: https://geni.us/Gc9PU

Buy Noctua NH-U12s on Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/9arXgs

This has nothing to do with the video, but can someone tell me how they got an RTX 2060 super, an msi b45o-A PRO motherboard, and a ryzen 7 3800X in a build for less then 900 dollars?!

in the video time stamp: 0:22

I'd much rather get the newer hardware with warranties...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not to mention better efficiency, better instructions per clock, less overhead from dual sockets, etc. I'm a determined bargain hunter and once you start tallying up the costs of it all the good deal isn't so good in the end, I've priced this stuff out before and the value/performance ratio doesn't add up.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Not to mention better efficiency, better instructions per clock, less overhead from dual sockets, etc. I'm a determined bargain hunter and once you start tallying up the costs of it all the good deal isn't so good in the end, I've priced this stuff out before and the value/performance ratio doesn't add up.

Truth.

Though I can't speak for value to performance ratios. All of my builds have made me money, not cost me money ?‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Did they ever verify it's actually quad channel not dual channel memory or was this just assumed?

Watching out for dual-channel boards is something inherent to this kind of Aliexpress-based building. The higher spec Jingsha and Huananzhi boards are quad, but the lower spec ones are hit and miss.

Typed from my Huananzhi X79-ZD3, 32 GB DDR3-1866, E5 1650 V2, RX 470D box built for $440.

Even though the Xeon configuration might not be the best for gaming would this make more sense for an unRaid setup?

Could you guys put product names in the title, like you said you were going to?

I've noticed this recently, and it's kind of annoying, because I'm not going to watch a video that I have absolutely no context for...
You may as well not have a title

"Backing Up Your Life is THIS Easy"
"Where Intel is in REAL Trouble..."
"My old PC was making me nauseous... Time to upgrade"

"This Chinese Water Cooler is WAY Better Than I Thought!"
"I was WRONG about the iPhone 11 Pro Camera..." - This title is honestly OK, but you talk specifically about the iPhone's Deep Fusion feature, and compare it between many Andriod phones

You used an R5 3600 in your $900 Ryzen gaming value build, not an R7 3800X, right? Seems that you got that confused.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

All of my builds have made me money, not cost me money

You are in a different category for which this video isn't intended for then. However for the costs mentioned (Linus never really stated the actual total cost of the server build) I wouldn't go to Ali anything, instead go on ebay and buy a actual server setup Like this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL380p-G8-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-26xx-10-core-64GB-up-to-768GB-RAM/323560797119?hash=item4b55b9f3bf:m:m6PNSoc3cp-eUA4iODLwc5g

I'm sure one could find other places or better prices esp w/o the U rack to save shipping etc (ebay seller might remove the U rack for you). My used server came in a fully functional setup tested before it left, best way imo of buying used server stuff might be more expensive but removes the risk.

However for price esp right now I would buy discounted last gen Ryzen processors over this.

3 hours ago, BunnyHelp said:

I've noticed this recently, and it's kind of annoying, because I'm not going to watch a video that I have absolutely no context for...

True story, video thumbnail and title made me think for a second: Did I buy too early, should I have waited?

Never noticed the dual cpu fans else I would have known immediately what he was doing.

4 hours ago, anonymousAgenda said:

Even though the Xeon configuration might not be the best for gaming would this make more sense for an unRaid setup?

No.

This kind of setup is power hungry and doesn't sleep under Windows. Most folks, me included, cannot work the incantations required to get such a board to sleep under linux.

13 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

You are in a different category for which this video isn't intended for then. However for the costs mentioned (Linus never really stated the actual total cost of the server build) I wouldn't go to Ali anything, instead go on ebay and buy a actual server setup Like this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL380p-G8-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-26xx-10-core-64GB-up-to-768GB-RAM/323560797119?hash=item4b55b9f3bf:m:m6PNSoc3cp-eUA4iODLwc5g

I'm sure one could find other places or better prices esp w/o the U rack to save shipping etc (ebay seller might remove the U rack for you). My used server came in a fully functional setup tested before it left, best way imo of buying used server stuff might be more expensive but removes the risk.

However for price esp right now I would buy discounted last gen Ryzen processors over this.

Not really, I'm pretty much exactly in that category; they even mention used parts in their video. Simply put, there's no point to building a system with old, potentially unreliable parts when it costs the same and performs basically the same as a new system.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

got a pile of old HP Gen8 hardware lying around at work on the scrap pile and this video insipired me to order a board :)

got literally NO IDEA what i'd want the system for tho... lol

On 1/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, BunnyHelp said:

"Backing Up Your Life is THIS Easy"
"Where Intel is in REAL Trouble..."
"My old PC was making me nauseous... Time to upgrade"

"This Chinese Water Cooler is WAY Better Than I Thought!"
"I was WRONG about the iPhone 11 Pro Camera..." - This title is honestly OK, but you talk specifically about the iPhone's Deep Fusion feature, and compare it between many Andriod phones

For real it seems that Linus's promise of being less click baitey lasted all of a month or so. I feel dirty every time I click one of those video links. They were much better when they had the product or topic in the title, along with the headline

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

I'm already playing with a single CPU Chinese X79 board, and this video got me thinking if this dual socket board could be used to build a homelab server on the cheap. VMware with ESXi, in a standard ATX (well E-ATX) form factor tower that can take standard components.

I'm assuming the BIOS on these boards is basically the same as a board built by a more well known manufacturer?

1 hour ago, Decius said:

I'm assuming the BIOS on these boards is basically the same as a board built by a more well known manufacturer?

From what I've seen so far, your assumption will likely be followed by disappointment.

Agreed, these x79 boards do look a lot better than the h61,p67 and so on boards but there are still some oddities, like only dual-channel, sometimes not even real x16 PCIe and so on. But hey, they are cheap and ECC-Reg does suit them just fine so what? Sadly, I do care...

I guess a 'known' x79 by Asus, Asrock, MSI or whatever will still perform better and they do have more options to crank the speed somewhat up.