Leaked GPU Specs Suggest Xbox Series X Substantially More Powerful Than PS5

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/303964-leaked-gpu-specs-suggest-xbox-series-x-substantially-more-powerful-than-ps5

Eurogamer has gotten their hands on some leak data they feel is fairly legit, and the website’s track record with this kind of information is solid. There have been some rumored APU configurations that leaked earlier this year, but this new data implies the Sony PS5 will feature 36 GPU clusters clocked at up to 2GHz. Supposedly the silicon, codenamed Oberon, is designed to operate in three different modes (Gen 0, 1, and 2) with clocks of 800MHz, 911MHz, and 2GHz respectively. Supposedly memory bandwidth is 448GB/s in Gen 2 mode (though 512GB/s is an alternate possibility) and the GPU can reportedly also be variably configured in terms of ROP and core counts. Eurogamer states:

While a 2.0GHz GPU clock is used for what is described as the fully unlocked ‘native’ or ‘Gen2’ mode, the processor is also tested in what is referred to as Gen1 and Gen0 modes. The former is explicitly stated as running with 36 compute units, a 911MHz core clock, 218GB/s of memory bandwidth and 64 ROPs – the exact specifications of PlayStation 4 Pro. The latter Gen0 mode cuts the CU and ROP counts in half and runs at 800MHz, a match for the base PS4. The indications are that back-compat is an integral part of the silicon, which in turn raises some interesting questions about the makeup of the Navi GPU and the extent to which older GCN compatibility may be baked into the design.

spacer.png

If this rumor proves true — always something to keep in mind — the Xbox Series X will launch packing the equivalent of a high-end PC GPU. The largest GPU AMD has ever built are cards like the R9 Fury X and Vega 64, with 4096 cores. A 56-cluster Navi GPU would pack 1.4x more GPU cores than the 5700 XT, which already competes in the high-end PC GPU segment at the ~$400 price point.

Spoiler

Ayyyy, it is ya boy, Harry P. Ness (OlympicAssEater). Mods make me to change my name because complains regarding my username, so I am going to cry in the corners a while. I did not lose the title champion. Anyway.......

Of course Xbox Series X is going to be more powerful than PS5 because it is literary a PC and a console fuse together like Goten and Trunks fuse together but I hope PS5 will do a comeback from this because I don't like PS5 losing ground to Xbox Series X. I prefer the name PS5 than Xbox Series X. I think the Xbox Series X price is not going to be affordable from all these high end parts cost and labor. 

I for one welcome our $800+ console overlord

I for one would rather welcome a $500 console overlord instead though

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

4 minutes ago, Harry P. Ness said:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/303964-leaked-gpu-specs-suggest-xbox-series-x-substantially-more-powerful-than-ps5

spacer.png

Ayyyy, it is ya boy, Harry P. Ness (OlympicAssEater). Mods make me to change my name because complains regarding my username, so I am going to cry in the corners a while. I did not lose the title champion. Anyway.......

Of course Xbox Series X is going to be more powerful than PS5 because it is literary a PC and a console fuse together like Goten and Trunks fuse together but I hope PS5 will do a comeback from this because I don't like PS5 losing ground to Xbox Series X. I prefer the name PS5 than Xbox Series X.

Given that none of the specs are confirmed and might still be in flux, I'd really avoid making any definitive statements as to which console is faster.

Besides, even if there is a conspicuous difference in specs, there are other factors that could make a big difference.  It doesn't matter if the Xbox Series X is faster if it costs, say, $100 more than the PS5 without other functional advantages.  And let's face it, Microsoft still has trouble making compelling exclusives for its systems.  Halo Infinite would have to be really, truly exceptional to justify buying an XSX just for that game, and I can't see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, the Xbox Series X could easily be a great console.  It's just that you'll probably use it to play the same games you would on a PS5, and likely without major performance advantages.

21 minutes ago, themaniac said:

$800 would be extremely steep, I really hope they release it at cost and make money off games like they used to do. Otherwise this thing and game for support for would be extremely lackluster.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

When it comes to consoles I don't think it really matters if one is that much more powerful than the others. Devs would likely even the performance between the two most of the time. Now, if they did put in the extra work to make it faster on the Xbox, that'd be pretty sweet. But. I don't see it happening often enough to be that much of a selling point. Part of me wants a console again...but that's make the time spent on getting a new PC kind of bad. 

1 hour ago, themaniac said:

It wouldn't be the first time we've had consoles that expensive. 

40 minutes ago, Levent said:

$800 would be extremely steep, I really hope they release it at cost and make money off games like they used to do. Otherwise this thing and game for support for would be extremely lackluster.

Game support won't be lackluster because of an $800 price. Game Devs are going to make games regardless, and that's about what a PC costs anyway. 

There are lots of ways around an $800 price tag, like offering low barrier monthly payments. They could throw in Xbox Live for free as a value ad, and still come out on top as they'd be making more from the interest of the payments than what XBL would cost a month anyway. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Harry P. Ness said:

This is the only real news in this thread, for me.  I don't console, but as a follower of your Olympic Exploits and fanboi of the "art" itself - this is disturbing news indeed.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Regardless whether the PS5 or XBox is faster. If the spec is true, a 56 compute units Navi GPU and 8 core Zen 2 CPU. Wow, can't imagine a $500 price tag. Even $800 isn't over-priced compares to PC.

If AMD decides to launch a similar 56 compute units GPU for the PC masterrace. It probably will cost north of $500.

2 hours ago, Harry P. Ness said:

I hope PS5 will do a comeback from this because I don't like PS5 losing ground to Xbox Series X. I prefer the name PS5 than Xbox Series X.

That's a pretty silly reason.

regardless of the specs i'll be buying a PS5. that backwards compatibility is probably the best decision they made. and MS no longer seems to have xbox exclusives, since more and more are becoming play anywhere or are just getting an outright PC release anyway.

I just hope the PS5's design doesn't follow the trend of the dev kit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

AMD is coming out with Zen3 next year but Xbox will have Zen2?

I know what amd will be using all the left over stock for....

The way I read this thing (and I’m not at all sure I read it very well) is the power of these console GPUs don’t just beat high end PC graphics cards they beat any potential on th horizon PC graphics cards.  By a lot.  Basically gaming PCs are dead.

If that is true (and it might not be) they would have to do it Using a tiny fraction of the power required by PC GPUs because they cool close to passively.  This doesn’t make sense.  For these things to work how much power would they draw?

UPDATE: I was reading it wrong.  I didn’t understand the 12 tflop bit.  A rx580 does apparently around 6 tflop.  So for double the performance of a 580 it’s 2070S territory.  The projected power ive been seeing if the GPU keeps going up.  I saw 5700xt projected, then I saw 580 projected, now 2070s projected.  None of these include whatever ray tracing might be included.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

love it

GN had a news story recently where they speculated (possibly with help from inside sources) that the "Series X" nomenclature was to allow room for other consoles in the same generation. So we could have a "Series S" in the $400 price range to compete directly with the PS5, and then the Series X can sit at $600+ as the high end, "enthusiast" model. 

Really, I don't see any negative to the new console paradigm of tiered models. As long as backwards compatibility continues indefinitely and new games are supported on older models for a typical console lifespan (5-6 years minimum), then no one really loses anything. The only change is that at any point someone can decide if their current performance is too low for their liking and then upgrade to the newer/higher end model. 

That said, >buying consoles. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The way I read this thing (and I’m not at all sure I read it very well) is the power of these console GPUs don’t just beat high end PC graphics cards they beat any potential on th horizon PC graphics cards.  By a lot.  Basically gaming PCs are dead.

If that is true (and it might not be) they would have to do it Using a tiny fraction of the power required by PC GPUs because they cool close to passively.  This doesn’t make sense.  For these things to work how much power would they draw?

UPDATE: I was reading it wrong.  I didn’t understand the 12 tflop bit.  A rx580 does apparently around 6 tflop.  So for double the performance of a 580 it’s 2070S territory.  The projected power ive been seeing if the GPU keeps going up.  I saw 5700xt projected, then I saw 580 projected, now 2070s projected.  None of these include whatever ray tracing might be included.

In the past consoles pretty much always eclipsed what was available on PC upon release (or at the very least would match a mid-high end PC). Every console generation would start with the consoles having games that were completely unattainable on PC hardware, and then within a year or two the PC would catch up and then surpass them and the consoles would rely on efficiency and optimization of the specific hardware to keep up for the remainder of the generation. The PS2 tech demos were mind blowing at the time, and Rogue Squadron 2 was (and still is) a technical marvel on the Gamecube. 

I think it was the 360 era (and even more so the current gen) where the consoles were already relatively underpowered compared to an average gaming PC, likely due to the rapid increase in resolution as HDTVs became common. The jump to 4K further gimped the newer gne and prevented them from really keeping up with a decent PC, but now that 4K has become pretty commonplace and 8K is likely quite a ways off from widespread adoption, consoles actually have a chance to catch up. 

If anything it may wind up being a huge boon to PC gamers. Even if AMD can't compete with Nvidia in the dGPU space, if a $400-600 console wipes the floor with an $800-1000 Nvidia GPU, then they are going to be forced to innovate at a faster rate in order to keep the more casual PC gamers from jumping ship. The rumors about Ampere already make it seem like it's going to be a solid leap over Turing, and if the consoles are indeed this fast then I wouldn't be surprised if the post-Ampere (Hopper?) arch comes out swinging just as hard. 

Spoiler

Maybe if could even force Nvidia to bring their price tiers back down to Pascal levels. 

Spoiler

Haha jk

3 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

In the past consoles pretty much always eclipsed what was available on PC upon release (or at the very least would match a mid-high end PC). Every console generation would start with the consoles having games that were completely unattainable on PC hardware, and then within a year or two the PC would catch up and then surpass them and the consoles would rely on efficiency and optimization of the specific hardware to keep up for the remainder of the generation. The PS2 tech demos were mind blowing at the time, and Rogue Squadron 2 was (and still is) a technical marvel on the Gamecube. 

I think it was the 360 era (and even more so the current gen) where the consoles were already relatively underpowered compared to an average gaming PC, likely due to the rapid increase in resolution as HDTVs became common. The jump to 4K further gimped the newer gne and prevented them from really keeping up with a decent PC, but now that 4K has become pretty commonplace and 8K is likely quite a ways off from widespread adoption, consoles actually have a chance to catch up. 

If anything it may wind up being a huge boon to PC gamers. Even if AMD can't compete with Nvidia in the dGPU space, if a $400-600 console wipes the floor with an $800-1000 Nvidia GPU, then they are going to be forced to innovate at a faster rate in order to keep the more casual PC gamers from jumping ship. The rumors about Ampere already make it seem like it's going to be a solid leap over Turing, and if the consoles are indeed this fast then I wouldn't be surprised if the post-Ampere (Hopper?) arch comes out swinging just as hard. 

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe if could even force Nvidia to bring their price tiers back down to Pascal levels. 

Reveal hidden contents

Haha jk

It is in keeping with historical advances.  I’m still wondering about heat though.  Shrinking dies reduces heat, but it’s been reducing it to a lesser and lesser extent.  A 2070s is +200w.  That heat needs to be vented through cooling.  The new console pics do show more cooling  than previous consoles, but I’m not sure it’s in the range described.  Say they get that gpu performance for a mere 150w, and can do the whole rest of the machine for just 40w more. That’s still near double what previous xboxes did.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It is in keeping with historical advances.  I’m still wondering about heat though.  Shrinking dies reduces heat, but it’s been reducing it to a lesser and lesser extent.  A 2070s is +200w.  That heat needs to be vented through cooling.  The new console pics do show more cooling  than previous consoles, but I’m not sure it’s in the range described.  Say they get that gpu performance for a mere 150w, and can do the whole rest of the machine for just 40w more. That’s still near double what previous xboxes did.  

Remember that power draw (and heat as a result) is not a linear correlation with clock speed. They could very easily sacrifice a couple hundred Mhz on both CPU and GPU and save a substantial amount of heat with relatively little performance loss. 

On PC where benchmarks and OC records are a thing, sacrificing 10% performance is rarely considered worth it, even if it requires +50% power. On console all that matters is the end user experience, and with a big honking GPU like the rumored SeXbox one, they could clock it pretty darn low and still have very compelling performance. 

If we assume a series, it is entirely possible that the top end is for the 4k mark, and the lower end is limited to 1080 or something similar, keeping frame rates and everything similar between all platforms, just with the 4k console priced more expensively.

Either way, I hope they do it as a loss leader so we quickly see a hack to run normal linux on the hardware. :)

2 minutes ago, justpoet said:

If we assume a series, it is entirely possible that the top end is for the 4k mark, and the lower end is limited to 1080 or something similar, keeping frame rates and everything similar between all platforms, just with the 4k console priced more expensively.

Either way, I hope they do it as a loss leader so we quickly see a hack to run normal linux on the hardware. :)

That would be a bit excruciating for microsoft.  It’s basically a pc so it would run wine just fine.  Wine runs more games than PCs do.

Wach ps5 be the way faster one

edit:told ya

Edited by Lowbuget
New info out

7 hours ago, Deli said:

Regardless whether the PS5 or XBox is faster. If the spec is true, a 56 compute units Navi GPU and 8 core Zen 2 CPU. Wow, can't imagine a $500 price tag. Even $800 isn't over-priced compares to PC.

If AMD decides to launch a similar 56 compute units GPU for the PC masterrace. It probably will cost north of $500.

$800 seems overpriced for a console with a estimated $500 BOM cost. Would be very odd and bad to see it above $600.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

The series X isnt the main stream Xbox, thsts what the rumored project lockhart is for. 

However, Microsoft didnt invest all this money in studio acquisition to sit on their hands.

Microsoft is coming you can bet on that. Phil Spencer won't be playing catch up this generation.

If you own a PC, yes u dont need an Xbox

With that said, Spencer and Microsoft are on the right path.

I hope they pack the series X with great hardware, im going to get it.

Im an Xbox guy, always will be, but im planning to get a PS5 also

12 hours ago, Commodus said:

Given that none of the specs are confirmed and might still be in flux, I'd really avoid making any definitive statements as to which console is faster.

Besides, even if there is a conspicuous difference in specs, there are other factors that could make a big difference.  It doesn't matter if the Xbox Series X is faster if it costs, say, $100 more than the PS5 without other functional advantages.  And let's face it, Microsoft still has trouble making compelling exclusives for its systems.  Halo Infinite would have to be really, truly exceptional to justify buying an XSX just for that game, and I can't see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, the Xbox Series X could easily be a great console.  It's just that you'll probably use it to play the same games you would on a PS5, and likely without major performance advantages.

If I remember correctly halo infinite is launching on pc as well so I wouldn't even really call it an exclusive. I guess it might be considered an exclusive if you don't have a pc capable of playing it and can only afford to buy a console. 

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

$800 seems overpriced for a console with a estimated $500 BOM cost. Would be very odd and bad to see it above $600.

A 56 compute units Navi can easily perform on par with a 2080 Super. Plus a 3700X for CPU. Maybe you can build one for less than $800.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

$800 and can't run Adobe PP, MS Access or CAD?

Why?

Nobody needs that shit, relatively speaking. Go ask people on the street they'll give you weird looks.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

AMD must be having a supply issue if all the big Navi chips are sent to console manufacturers. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition