LG makes flagship phone with 3.5mm of space - LG G9 renders found

williamcll

In what is a rapidly decreasing selection of phones, LG may soon be release their next generation of mobile phones, and sports almost no gimmicks.

Early last year there was talk that LG will discontinue the G-series – well, rumors of its death seem largely exaggerated. OnLeaks just revealed a set of CAD-based renders for the LG G9. It appears similar to the G8X, though it has twice as many cameras on the back.LG got up to three cameras last year, this 2020 model has four arranged in a horizontal strip (similar to the V50 and G8). However, the rear-mounted fingerprint reader is gone, the new phone will use an in-display reader.

LG-G9-5K2.jpg

The display is surprisingly flat – most companies are pushing for rounded sides and not everyone loves the trend. The exact dimensions of the screen are unknown, but sources claim that it will be between 6.7” and 6.9” and will have very narrow bezels. The front features a single selfie camera inside a teardrop notch, just like the G8X. LG is not on board with the punch hole trend, it seems, but at least it abandoned the gimmicky palm recognition and hand gestures of the original G8. The LG G9 bucks the trend in another way – it has a 3.5mm headphone jack. What are the chances that it will be the only 2020 flagship to have one? Anyway, other interesting features on the sides are the SIM card slot on top and what appears to be an Android Assistant button on the right.

LG-G9-5K4.jpg

The LG G9 measures 169.4 x 77.6 x 8.8mm, 9.4mm if you include the camera hump. The G8 was unveiled at the MWC last year so we expect to see the new model in late February.

Source:https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g9_renders_show_a_quad_camera_on_the_back_and_a_g8xlike_design-news-40854.php

https://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g9

https://cashkaro.com/blog/exclusive-lg-g9-renders/116922
Thoughts: Sad that a headphone jack is becoming more and more of a feature rather than an essential component. Though it will still take a bit more to convince me to switch out my OnePlus 6.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

If this is true, that means my next 2 phones will continue to be LG!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

If this is true, that means my next 2 phones will continue to be LG!

LG is a terrible android oem, I would highly suggest you not to.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

LG has only made one interesting (to me) device in the last few years, and that was the one that came with the additional screen.

The interesting point wasn't the additional screen, but the absolutely superb battery life the main unit got on it's own.

If they manage to get that battery life, or better, in this unit, it might have some hope. However the unit itself is too big. It must have a 6.9" display, because it's substantially larger than the Note 10+, and it had a 6.8" display.

16 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

What's all the bullshit with how many cameras a phone has?

How else are you going to have your phone stand apart? When it's a flagship they pretty much all have a high amount of RAM and the same SoC.

13 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

It's all about trying to emulate an SLR with small sensors and lenses in my opinion.  If I want a good photo I'll pull out my Pentax.  If I want a quick photo I don't care what my phone has, chances are my Sony Cybershot is still in my pocket anyway.

A lot of pro photographers have stated that current flagships are more than adequate for 90%+ of people, and for most of their own shooting.

With the advancements in AI, additional cameras, etc this years flagships are only going to be that much better.

I give it a few years and even entry level DSLRs won't have much use aside from people learning to get into professional photography.

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

There's a headphone jack..

YA SEE, IT IS STILL POSSIBLE. NO EXCUSES NOW.

Well, like, I'm sure we could still find a way to put a crank at the front of the car to get it to start, but it doesn't mean it's necessary..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How else are you going to have your phone stand apart? When it's a flagship they pretty much all have a high amount of RAM and the same SoC.

Doesn't make it any less stupid, like cars with pointless features that only serve to sell a new model to feature monkeys that choose quantity over quality.

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Well, like, I'm sure we could still find a way to put a crank at the front of the car to get it to start, but it doesn't mean it's necessary..

No it's more like replacing a good old ignition key for a key fob and push button start, no reason to get rid of a key other than something to sell as a feature.

21 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

If I want a good photo I'll pull out my Pentax.  If I want a quick photo I don't care what my phone has, chances are my Sony Cybershot is still in my pocket anyway.

The point is to reverse that completely.

Built-in processing and stuff in cameras used to be just dismissed as "useless and you can do much better yourself" and it was true, but the developments in phone cameras are getting to the opposite now, they automatically use complex tricks that while you could use them manually using a "classic" camera it would be totally impractical.

In one button press and half a second handheld the phone does the equivalent of you setting up a tripod, taking multiple RAW exposures, aligning them, blending them to HDR, doing multiple separate local corrections, applying filters... basically something that would take you an hour.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Doesn't make it any less stupid, like cars with pointless features that only serve to sell a new model to feature monkeys that choose quantity over quality.

Just because you don't use them, doesn't make them pointless. You can have multiple cameras without having less quality. It's not one or the other.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No it's more like replacing a good old ignition key for a key fob and push button start, no reason to get rid of a key other than something to sell as a feature.

Bad comparison, I'd much rather have push button start, as would most people I know :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

36 minutes ago, Levent said:

why? i got an lg v20 and its probably the best phone ive ever had though granted ive only had the galaxy s3, iphone 5, and note 4 LUL

42 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I thought the same, until I actually got one. My OnePlus 7 Pro has 3 cameras: a main one, a 0.6x zoom, and a 3x zoom. Each really does a different thing and I use all of them frequently, even the 3x zoom (I actually use that more than the 0.6x zoom one).

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

36 minutes ago, Levent said:

Until Samsung makes a phone that depreciates like an LG, I'll stick to LG!

When I looking for a new phone, it was between an S10E and the LG G7/G8. The G7 was less than half the price of either and I prefer to buy last gen anyway.

I refuse to but a phone with a curved screen so the S9 was out of the question. 

OnePlus removed the headphone jack so they were gone as well.

Plus, I just prefer the feel of the LGs, I think they are much more comfortable to hold

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

why? i got an lg v20 and its probably the best phone ive ever had though granted ive only had the galaxy s3, iphone 5, and note 4 LUL

LG is extremely unreliable with their software updates. V20 is a rare treat where they actually released updates more than once. I had a G4 and I swore to never get LG again. That phone only had 6.0 update and literally never received a security update. They are much better off selling their phone department to google.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I think they're referring to updates, which i've heard is really mixed with how often you get patches or only getting 1 update, when Samsung will give you at least 2 updates.  I wait for phones to come down in price before I upgrade anyway, but idk Nokia and Moto phones are much cheaper.

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Just because you don't use them, doesn't make them pointless. You can have multiple cameras without having less quality. It's not one or the other.

Bad comparison, I'd much rather have push button start, as would most people I know :P

Companies could be putting one really good camera in there with a larger sensor, the multiple cameras seems like more of a marketing tactic and it takes up space that could be used for more battery.

Maybe a bad comparison, but it's still a matter of preference, like a 3.5mm jack it should at least be an option there. A bluetooth pair of headphones like a push button start is a matter of convenience over lower cost or reliability.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

the multiple cameras seems like more of a marketing tactic

Nope, it's to have different focal lengths, which you can't replicate in any more efficient way.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I think they're referring to updates, which i've heard is really mixed with how often you get patches or only getting 1 update, when Samsung with give you at least 2 updates.  I wait for phones to come down in price before I upgrade anyway, but idk Nokia and Moto phones are much cheaper.

Companies could be putting one really good camera in there with a larger sensor, the multiple cameras seems like more of a marketing tactic and it takes up space that could be used for more battery.

Maybe a bad comparison, but it's still a matter of preference, like a 3.5mm jack it should at least be an option there. A bluetooth pair of headphones like a push button start is a matter of convenience over lower cost or reliability.

Space. The space prohibits the lense needed for a large sensor. That and cost. Lots of small sensors cost less than 1 large one.

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What use does being able to use your phone through the car's inbuilt display serve? Or a built in WiFi hotspot, what use does that serve?

15 hours ago, Hakemon said:

It's all about trying to emulate an SLR with small sensors and lenses in my opinion.  If I want a good photo I'll pull out my Pentax.  If I want a quick photo I don't care what my phone has, chances are my Sony Cybershot is still in my pocket anyway.

Unfortunately (and I'm saying this as a hobbyist photographer) I've noticed a trend: in the last two years flagship phones (partially thanks to the amount and variety of lenses that they now have) have gotten sufficiently decent to allow to take pictures that are just as good as what compact or even APS-C cameras can produce, or at least good enough to be viewed on a large computer screen. They finally shoot RAW, there are tools to edit and export it right on the phone, they expose pictures sufficiently well, have a good enough dynamic range thanks to constantly improving computational photography, and focus on objects accurately and really quickly. It all requires so little time and effort that it almost feels extremely unfair. Any fresh iphone owner can take a decent shot or a video clip in almost any imaginable scenario, and it almost always renders me who is still clinging onto a 10 year old DSLR completely unnecessary, forcing me after so many years to begin stepping up my game and upgrading my hardware to something smaller, quicker, and smarter.

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

I give it a few years and even entry level DSLRs won't have much use aside from people learning to get into professional photography.

It's already happening.

16 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

social media generation that thinks they have to take a photo of everything everywhere at every time

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 hours ago, Levent said:

Reminds me of the LG G3 which I hated a lot years ago.

• mediocre camera 
  • dull, muted color gamut 
  • it gets hot doing normal tasks thanks to a Snapdragon 801 struggling to power a 1440p display 
  • Sluggish software updates 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

16 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Multiple cameras are NOT a marketing tactic, and using a single larger sensor would lot achieve the same results. 

The reason for multiple cameras is to have different LENSES, not different sensors. 

It also has to do with gathering depth data for post processing. You need to have multiple cameras for that, just like humans needs two eyes slightly apart to gather depth information. 

Samsung is going to start using a massive sensor for the main camera and still use multiple cameras. 

Had a G6 before and I got a V50 at the start of December (got it for £479, was too good to resist :P ).

They're seriously underrated phones and have very nice headphone jacks cause of the inbuilt DAC. The extra screen is super useful when typing or multitasking. I hope LG continue the trend of the dual screen attachment until foldables become more common / cheaper. Although I'm seeing no pins on the back of the leak...

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

They could, but no one would buy it; Panasonic already tried that.

It also doesn't have wide angle, which many people find incredibly useful. They really don't take up that much space. Have you seen the battery size on newer devices? It's pushing up to 5,000mah which is more than enough for daily use when you factor in more efficient SoCs and fast charging. All while having even more camera modules than ever before.

Ah yes, the headphone jack. Much loved by a few, that blow the fact it's being phased out out of proportion.

Pretty much all of my friends that aren't really into tech don't even care. They just shrug their shoulders, and use the included adapter. Which I've never seen the issue of. If you use your headphones with your phone most, what's it matter if you have to connect an adapter to the end of it? It adds basically nothing to the length of the cable. Afraid you'll lose it? Tape the two ends together. Problem solved.

Yes, it's cheap to implement. The cost of the jack is pretty minimal, though even then if you factor it's cost across tens of millions of devices, getting rid of it is still a savings of pretty substantial proportion. That's not the main reason to get rid of it though. It's eliminating a point of failure from the device. Ports are, generally, some of the highest failure rate parts of a phone. Getting rid of it halves the mechanical force failure points. So it's actually raising the overall reliability of the device.

Also, funny you should mention the headphone jack, but not point out the fact that it takes up more space for battery than the camera modules do.

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

What use does being able to use your phone through the car's inbuilt display serve? Or a built in WiFi hotspot, what use does that serve?

Sooo you've gone from cameras to mentioning something completely unrelated? Why?
And yes, using your phone through the cars inbuilt display is very useful. Most cars GPS sucks, and this gets around that.

I've used my WiFi hotspot several times to give internet to friends who run out of data.

Again, just because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's not useful.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler