PS4 parts in an Xbox1

I heard a rumor of a guy taking apart a PS4 and an Xbox 1, and taking the better components out of the PS4 to upgrade the Xbox. Is it remotely possible? Has anyone here ever done anything similar?

Not easily. You can't do things like swapping out the chips. Some parts are standard like the hdd, but no reason to move them over. The software and games are made for specific hardware aswell, so making a faster system won't help anywhere as much as a pc where games are made for a wide variety of hardware.

The HDD is the only compatible part between them.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

12 hours ago, Boeckel911 said:

I heard a rumor of a guy taking apart a PS4 and an Xbox 1, and taking the better components out of the PS4 to upgrade the Xbox. Is it remotely possible? Has anyone here ever done anything similar?

The only way this would be possible is if the APU in either use the same number of pins and if the firmware setup is basically the same. You'd also have to have access to a BGA reflow machine because the APUs aren't socketed.

But my opinion is this rumor is 100% BS.

This doesn't even sound like a rumour, just something someone made up, because they think they are cool.

I could fathom that there might be individual components such as capacitors on the motherboard that could be swapped desolder/resoldering them, but that would be a waste of time and effort. The hard disk drive could work, but I doubt its an upgrade also a waste of time as it would be better to perform an SSD swap. I guess that leaves the ODD, but this would have insurmountable obstacles that wouldn't make it worth doing, and once again, its likely a downgrade.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:57 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not easily. You can't do things like swapping out the chips. Some parts are standard like the hdd, but no reason to move them over. The software and games are made for specific hardware aswell, so making a faster system won't help anywhere as much as a pc where games are made for a wide variety of hardware.

That's true but I think a lot of games would just run faster on better hardware due to scalability and whatnot - similar to PC games (there really isn't a fundamental difference)  compatibility provided of course. 

And IF this swapping parts thing would even work which is of course highly doubtful with how much these consoles are locked down.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/4/2020 at 12:50 AM, Boeckel911 said:

Short answer, no. What would he even swap?

As others have mentioned, the vast majority of the components are soldered onto the board. You're not gonna swap out the RAM, SoC (CPU + GPU), etc. The HDD, I guess, but what's the point? The PS4 HDD is no better or worse than the XBO HDD.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah....sounds made up.  Only thing that I know of that are interchangeable between Xbox One and PS4 are the thumbsticks in the controllers.  I modded my DS4 to use Xbox One Elite (1st gen) thumbsticks.

Thank you for all the replies, After hearing about it, I couldn't find anything anywhere on the internet about it, other than upgrading to a higher capacity ssd. I figured if anyone would know, it would be this group!