Free UnRAID Alternatives

Anyone know of any Free UnRAID Alternatives (I'm looking into doing what Linus did with 2 Gamers, 1 CPU)

PROXMOX

Debian+QEMU+virt-manager(or cockpit)

I think ESXi has a free standard license.

Those would work here.

ANy linux distro should do this easily.

Hyper-v and exsi can aswell, but its probably gonna be more of a hassle.

But Id stay away from doing pass though for a main pc, its really not worth the hassle, and normally about the same price to make 2 pcs.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Hyper-v and exsi can aswell, but its probably gonna be more of a hassle.

Hey, ESXi is actually really good if you can manage to download the free version without an account. it's quite difficult. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:35 PM, bjtoadkoops said:

Anyone know of any Free UnRAID Alternatives (I'm looking into doing what Linus did with 2 Gamers, 1 CPU)

Proxmox is the current ESXI competitor that's based on Debian Linux.  It's a little bit more open to UnRAID and is free.  If you like it feel free to recommend it to people who want a nice virtualization solution as they do have businessy subscription models but you are no way obligated to pay.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:51 AM, SOZIKILLYOUZ said:

Hey, ESXi is actually really good if you can manage to download the free version without an account. it's quite difficult. 

What's the problem with an account anyway? It's free to do so.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:35 AM, bjtoadkoops said:

Forget about the passthrough (it can be done somewhat easily with guides on Hyper-V and ESXi, done it myself) and any hypervisor you like will do.

Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro is a feature you can enable, so if you have a spare W10 Pro key, that's an easy solution for a beginner.

ESXi is fully web based for management, Proxmox is mostly GUI, partly CLI.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro