[deleted]

Magus
Just now, Magus said:

Holy moly I just realized that the ship date on the Drop SU-8 is deep in February. Yeah I'm not gonna go for that then.

Yeah I think at this point I'm curious to find-out if I really dislike AKM or just Schiit...

I'm between the THX Monolith or the Geshelli. Seems like there's no really sensible Sabre options in this price-range, as if they just have $100 solutions or straight to $1000 solutions (LKS MH-DA004). The $500-ish solutions don't seem to be sensibly implemented I suppose, so pretty much all the good options in that range are AKM.

I liked how the Sabre ones had 32-bit 768KHz but I'm guessing those are pointless metrics or something.

unless you got files that are up to those formats its pointless its better to get a dac that supports what you have  vell rather than spend more.

Just now, Magus said:

Well, what I have is generally 24-Bit 48KHz. Think I've rarely seen anything above that on anything I've downloaded.

yeah either the options are great! 

3 minutes ago, Magus said:

Do I need to buy anything special to take advantage of the balanced output? Aftermarket cables or anything? Just wondering.

I thought balanced outputs are supposed to be dual output (L/R) but the Monolith just has the one XLR and 3.5mm outputs.

you need balanced cables to use the balanced outputs of the system. and you should bve good with amazon RCA cables 

15 hours ago, Magus said:

Oh my goodness he just got to the point about the volume knob, yikes. I mean it's more precise tuning but also super slow.

That said, I suppose if someone comes in and I need to talk, I can just mute it in Windows instead of messing with it a the AMP knob.

Whatever you go for, let us know in the end once you have it all with you and you can do some listening tests by yourself. You should have considerable information now to make a more educated purchase.