[deleted]

Magus

the DAC makes the least difference in your setup what headphones are you running?( nvm found them) the MOdi isn't a Great DAC. but I would hesitate to upgrade anything without upgrading the headphone or amp first

8 minutes ago, Magus said:

Well the main thing is that I regret getting rid of my Oppo HA-2 and now I kinda just want to get it back.

Headphones wise I don't really feel like I need anything better unless you can think of something in the SRH940 / AKG K7XX sound-signature area that's better and isn't completely ridiculous price-wise.

ah then for headphone me and a friend think you might like the dt 880. if you aren't adversed to buying schiit again maybe the heresy would be a nice slight upgrade other wise the atom would be a better amp to go for not a big upgrade from the magni 3 but definitely sounds better. and for a dac a nice affordable DAC that seems to do all that you want the topping d10

and if you dont mind the bare bones nature of It I encourage you to check out the khadas tone board a case for the ting is just like another $14

what do you really want in an upgrade is it detail? neutrality, presentation like soundstage or imaging? what don't you like? like why are you getting rid of the 600 and keeping the 7xx instead?

the 880 is a nice analytical headphone and for the price has impressive detail should have the treble of the shure although more refined as well as the soundstage of the 7xx. 

a new improved amp like a atom or a heresy or something better will allow you to really take advantage of the DAC upgrade. AS well as some software decoding plugins to get things to play correctly

3 minutes ago, Magus said:

I could try the 880 first then.

It's less about wanting to upgrade something specific and more about this just being the time of year I typically cycle-out old hardware and bring in new. HD600, K7XX, SRH940, Schiit Stack, none of them are bad to me, all of them kick ass against Beats or whatever the general masses tend to subscribe to. But I feel like better probably exists out there, and I do miss my Oppo HA-2, I remember there being more detail in the highs and stuff than I have now, although I did get better soundstaging when I changed that was about it.

But yeah it's 2020 and I have Christmas money and it's just that time of year more-or-less. At the very least I figured I'd get a soundcard that can handle all the formats I want natively, but if there's better audio choices now that I know where I fall on "the audio spectrum", maybe I should consider upgrading headphones as well -- because as you say, little sense in changing from the Schiit Stack if I'm not also going to make headphone changes.

I've never listened to Planars or Electrostatic so I'm a bit curious about them. Although if the DT880 turns out to be all I need, maybe I'll go with that.

well if you have the cash it is a great time to cycle out gear I guess. and planars like the he4xx and the esp 95x does exist if you want to explore different driver types. but I definitely check out the 880 first.  the headphones make the most difference in respect to sound followed by the amp then dac.

7 minutes ago, Magus said:

To be honest, I've gone through some different amplifiers... and I really don't seem to be able to hear the difference between different brands of solid-state amplifiers or anything. A solid-state is just a solid-state to me, more or less. I could plug directly into the onboard audio and not really tell any difference against a dedicated amp so long as it has enough power output to drive them. Tube amplifiers is where I notice differences but that's a whole different ballgame. DACs I feel like there's more of a difference. I feel like the audio "quality" is in the DAC while the amp is just power -- the only time that isn't true is when there's audible hissing or anything like that, which isn't something I run into as much nowadays, even in onboard audio.

Hard to believe you can tell the differences between DACs if you cant tell the ifference between Amps out of curiopusit which amps have you tested as well as which dacs have you compared? while yes the signal that the amp amplifies depends on the DAC but the DAc's internal Aamp for the line out as well as the amp the amplifies it is the determining factor as to how clean the power is amplified. 

2 minutes ago, Magus said:

Kinda surprised at how cheap the DT880 is right now. Might go for that. Was considering trying the HiFiMan HE400i at this price point, but maybe I should try this instead huh?

if you have the cash doesn't hurt to try both . make use of the amazon return policy

1 minute ago, Magus said:

I've tried a few from friends against my HA-2 in the past, and now my Modi 3. I will admit to not having a massive sample size to have tried from, but generally yeah I barely knew the difference between different amps as opposed to different DACs for some reason.

I feel like most people are more sensitive to changes in the bass / low-end, while I seem focused to changes in the treble / high-end.

I think the hardest thing for me to find though are actually the mids that I appreciate. Shure has something about them... their mids are really good. I think that's what wins me over to them above all else, followed by the detail especially in the SRH940.

if your really into the treble detail than yeah the 880 is definitely up your alley

1 minute ago, Magus said:

Alrighty. I should go for the 600 Ohm pro model, no?

And this isn't the one that I heard has a "V-Shaped" response, is it? V shaped is the opposite of what I'm after I think, given I want the mids in the forefront, followed by highs, followed by bass in the back, more or less.

I think that might be the DT990 I heard that about though.

the 880 is less v shaped close to a slight U shape leans rather neutral and bright the 990 is the headphone that is Vshaped. 

my bad let me correct myself the 880 600 ohm is neutral bright while the 880 250 ohm is Ushaped

Just now, Magus said:

And what of the 770? I thought I was advised to get that one once.

770 is closed back great for the price very V hsaped. 

but upon further discussion if you want to drop more cash the esp 95x and the elex really sounds like it might be up your alley instead

Just now, Magus said:

Being clear, U-Shape and V-Shape mean that the mids are recessed and the lows & highs are emphasized, no? Would that not go against the forward mids I'm looking for?

Asking because I figure I must be misunderstanding terminology.

you are correct the U shape is a less emphasized v shape but the 600 ohm 880 is less of a U shape as I originally sated rather being a netralish bright headphone meaning treble first then everything else. 

2 minutes ago, Magus said:

Oh yeah... the Elex does interest me... but god the price... but god the reviews...neerrgghghh...

Basically have to ask myself "Just how serious am I about this?"

yeah I struggle not to buy it on a regular basis as well.