Apple could be making a $5,000 gaming PC according to supply chain rumors

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apple-could-be-making-a-dollar5000-gaming-pc-heres-why-that-makes-sense
https://www.techradar.com/news/is-apple-really-working-on-a-dollar5000-gaming-mac

According to Economic Daily (via TechRadar), the Cupertino tech giant may be working on an "e-sports PC" that would cost as much as $5,000. The report claims that the PC could either be an all-in-one desktop in the vein of the iMac, or a large gaming laptop along the lines of a Razer Blade 17 Pro.

Apple's rumored gaming Mac could get unveiled as early as this June during Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC), and may see a launch next year.

38 minutes ago, ColeWorld said:

So a laptop or an “AIO” that is basically still a laptop hardware wise.

This is quite depressing to me. 

the problem is that it is still a laptop.

I was hoping they would improve their code infrastructure enough to make a real desktop gaming Mac that uses desktop parts possible.  It would be a major undertaking which would require a lot of new drivers to be written, and a more factory racing style bent given to esports events which at the moment they seem to not have.  They could own gaming if they did it though.  It would be a stupendously high investment, but they’re the only company that can currently field a motherboard of a format different than atx and doing so could yield a possibly unassailable performance advantage.  They could even do it with AMD.  AMD is quite capable of making the fastest graphics card in the work if they’re not limited by the heat dissipation requirements Nvidia is.

A gaming laptop they could make just by doing a case with reasonable cooling, adding high end rather than merely midrange graphics cards, and using very high refresh rate screens.  They wouldn’t be able to run any AAA titles on Mac OS though.  It would have to run bootcamp.  If they do make such a laptop, they would have to force it into the pro space by giving laptops to pro gamers.  It would be too expensive a machine for pros to purchase.  They might even have to pay them to take the machines.  There aren’t really that many top pros though.  Give away a few thousand machines with maybe a few(?) million dollars total in payments to various pro gamers to use them?  I have no idea how effective it would be myself. I don’t know what pro gaming contracts look like. They’d have to spend their way to victory.  Both by making competitive machines and by paying their way into the good graces of the athletes and the companies making the games being competed with.  If it’s happening someone has likely already done the math though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thread locked.

There's already an ongoing topic discussing this.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450