Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupar19

Uses for 50 sticks of laptop ddr2?

Posted · Original PosterOP

For some reason when i was cleaning out my cupboard i found 50 sticks of 1gb laptop ddr2 which is pretty useless as well as worthless.

Any cool ideas (maybe something artistic idk) for them

thanks 

Didn't LTT do a video of taking a bunch of DDR2 and using a PCI slotted addon card they can create actual storage - with the only drawback being if you lose complete power to the PC...you lose all the data (card loses power...poof RAM clears) - Im pretty sure I watched this a month ago here.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM (+100mhz core clock), 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

40 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Didn't LTT do a video of taking a bunch of DDR2 and using a PCI slotted addon card they can create actual storage - with the only drawback being if you lose complete power to the PC...you lose all the data (card loses power...poof RAM clears) - Im pretty sure I watched this a month ago here.

Hmm could be used as temp storage for recording! 🤔

RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

18 hours ago, Tristerin said:

They did, but the hardware (I looked into it) is insanely priced.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

On 1/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, Radium_Angel said:

They did, but the hardware (I looked into it) is insanely priced.

And there are several other problems. It would be better (and possibly cheaper) to use a ssd as a scratch disk

On 1/2/2020 at 11:12 PM, Tristerin said:

they did, and id seen those cards a while before and wanted one but they are insanely expensive from wherever i could find them 

On 1/2/2020 at 11:09 PM, Slayerking92 said:

image.png.2b1eca9f4878505be1bc162c1ac4cba2.png

that looks sick, sadly mine are all one color but maybe i could do something like that

20 hours ago, Tedstonegenious said:

I would throw them on eBay. DDR2 is so obsolete that the price actually went back up a bit because it is so rare. So people who like old hardware are willing to pay a bit of a premium. 

nah laptop ddr2 in the uk at least is all over ebay and rarely sells, its still pretty worthless

Build a fake roof for your PC case, using the RAM sticks as roof tiles (mayber you have to remove RAM heatspreaders first). You could also cut a piece of wood, use some pieces of wood to frame it so the whole thing can contain some liquid, then disperse the RAM in a pattern you find appealing and cover everything with clear resin of some sort. 

7 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

Build a fake roof for your PC case, using the RAM sticks as roof tiles (mayber you have to remove RAM heatspreaders first). You could also cut a piece of wood, use some pieces of wood to frame it so the whole thing can contain some liquid, then disperse the RAM in a pattern you find appealing and cover everything with clear resin of some sort. 

thats an interesting idea, sounds quite cool

Posted (edited)

So this skateboarding channel will literally skate any board fans send them. The creations are a either masterfully crafted, or really dangerous and dumb.

You could just make a board out of RAM sticks.

Edited by kokakolia
missing info
6 hours ago, kokakolia said:

So this skateboarding channel will literally skate any board fans send them. The creations are a either masterfully crafted, or really dangerous and dumb.

You could just make a board out of RAM sticks.

i know nothing about skateboarding and probabley couldnt be asked to send it to this guy but i kinda wanna try now

On 1/5/2020 at 9:28 AM, Cupar19 said:

that looks sick, sadly mine are all one color but maybe i could do something like that

Can always add color with a cable.

image.png.90965cc326bda8874a2eaee05b4c06b5.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

If you have a business, use them as business cards. Somehow 

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1080 ti Hybrid  |  32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 case

6 hours ago, vukos said:

If you have a business, use them as business cards. Somehow 

They're kinda sharp and brittle and don't fit nice in a small pocket....

Just fill a Dodge Ram with dodgy RAM ;)

Just kidding, other ideas would be to make a picture/mirror frame out of them, to use some of them to practice soldering, use them as door handles.

9 hours ago, greenhorn said:

Just fill a Dodge Ram with dodgy RAM ;)

Just kidding, other ideas would be to make a picture/mirror frame out of them, to use some of them to practice soldering, use them as door handles.

picture frame, thats a nice idea

Could also sell it on Ebay. DDR2 isn't quite as popular as DDR3 for obvious reasons, but you could probably make a decent bit of cash off 50 DDR2 sticks.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere(maybe here) where someone put like a CPU into some kind of solution and preserved it in a capsule, you could probably make a bunch of those to sell or what have you

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage