10th gen i9 test results show disappointing performance

Fasauceome

sauce

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-benchmarks-leak-30-percent-faster/

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/leaked-purported-internal-intel-doc-reveals-core-i9-10900k-performance-up-to-30-percent-gain-in-threaded-tests

Intel's Core i9-10900K 10 Core CPU Benchmarks Leaked - Same Single-Core Performance As The Core i9-9900K, But Up To 30% Faster in Multi-Threading Workloads

WCCFTech

Was anybody expecting any different? Featuring yet another refresh of the tired 14nm++++++ node, the clock speeds are bumped up a touch and the cores are more glued together than ever before.

Intel's Core i9-10900K will be the flagship chip of the 10th Gen Comet Lake family that is expected to land in the coming months but will be featuring the same 14nm architecture that has long been running since Skylake.

WCCFTech

RIP Broadwell, everyone forgot about the actual first 14nm parts. As of September 2020, 14nm will have been Intel's main process node for 6 years, fancy that. I feel as though at some point we'll be celebrating when 14nm is old enough to vote/drink/etc. if 10nm never shows up.

Some of the features of this particular chip include:

• Up to 4.8 GHz All-Core Turbo
  • Up to 5.3 / 4.0 GHz Thermal Velocity Boost Singe / All-core Turbo
  • Up to 5.2 GHz Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0
  • Up to 10C and 20T
  • Up to DDR4-2933 MHz dual-channel
  • Enhanced Core & Memory Overclocking
  • Active Core Group Tuning

WCCFTech

Um, cool, I guess? Still no PCIe 4.0 of course. What's actually new here is the "Thermal Velocity Boost" which by its name I'm guessing will act similar to Precision Boost on the AMD side of things

Intel-Core-i9-10900K-10-Core-CPU-Performance-Benchmarks-1030x533.jpg(Image credit: MebiuW @ Weibo.com)

As we can see, 25% mode cores + a little more clocks = 30% improvement. neato burrito.

TL;DR: If you've been recommending AMD for pure gaming, like myself, because 4th gen Ryzen will indeed be passing up what 14nm has to offer for single threaded, this is the justification. Even though the i7 9700k and i9 9900k are the best current processors for gaming, Ryzen 4000 will be making drop in upgrades the superior gaming PCs out of AMD systems. I have recommended Ryzen 3000 not only because of superior value, but soon AMD will have superior performance as well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

This only makes me more excited for Ryzen 4000, planning my new PC on that since Intel cannot make a decent CPU it seems. Ryzen 3000 killed Intel, Ryzen 4000 will bury Intel. 4 years ago I would have never thought I would be saying that I am excited to go to AMD because of the lackluster pitiful effort that has been made by Intel. Ryzen 4900X can't come quickly enough! And maybe some new 3000 series GPU's while we are wishing for things.

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

neato burrito.

I dont know where you got that or if you came up with it, but I'm using that. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Considering how refined 14nm already is, I'm kind of impressed they managed to eek out any performance at all out of it.

At least no one can say that Intel has never learned anything from AMD; they've taken their refresh strat and ran with it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Considering how refined 14nm already is, I'm kind of impressed they managed to eek out any performance at all out of it.

At least no one can say that Intel has never learned anything from AMD; they've taken their refresh strat and ran with it.

I agree

Its kinda amazing

45 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

WCCFTech

RIP Broadwell, everyone forgot about the actual first 14nm parts. As of September 2020, 14nm will have been Intel's main process node for 6 years, fancy that. I feel as though at some point we'll be celebrating when 14nm is old enough to vote/drink/etc. if 10nm never shows up.

Technically Broadwell was just 14nm Haswell, it was not a new architecture in and of itself. Intel considered it a "tick" or process change in their original tick-tock plan. Skylake was the first 14nm architecture

I honestly thought Ice Lake was supposed to be the next architecture, but who knows when/if we will ever seen desktop Ice Lake CPU's. 

At this point, I am only curious as to what Intel means by "improved memory overclocking". If they've altered the IMC to remove DDR3 support and instead give us a full fledged DDR4 memory controller with extra girth, it might be interesting to play around with. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

...exactly as expected...?

So next year.......

Will they continue their masterplan by releasing a 10900k with 2 more cores?

58 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I guess this is in part why they stopped using the process+ indicator. They're probably continuing to optimise manufacturing, allowing more CPUs to hit higher clocks more consistently. In part that, and in part because they have nothing else, they're also moving up the performance operating point by running at a lower efficiency part of the curve.

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Technically Broadwell was just 14nm Haswell, it was not a new architecture in and of itself. Intel considered it a "tick" or process change in their original tick-tock plan. Skylake was the first 14nm architecture

Even if it wasn't a new architecture, that doesn't mean there weren't any changes. The FPU in Broadwell definitely behaves differently to the one in Haswell for example, not due to the eDRAM either.

I honestly thought Ice Lake was supposed to be the next architecture, but who knows when/if we will ever seen desktop Ice Lake CPU's. 

It is/was, just not on mainstream desktop. At this point it probably will never be. Intel have only said 10nm isn't dead for desktop. My gut feel is they'll launch a 10nm Ice Lake-X based off Ice Lake-SP towards the end of the year, and that's the 10nm desktop offering. Mainstream will be based off something newer than Sunny Cove in 2021.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

So next year.......

Will they continue their masterplan by releasing a 10900k with 2 more cores?

Unless they have a new node ready I'd wager they will

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, porina said:

I guess this is in part why they stopped using the process+ indicator. They're probably continuing to optimise manufacturing, allowing more CPUs to hit higher clocks more consistently. In part that, and in part because they have nothing else, they're also moving up the performance operating point by running at a lower efficiency part of the curve.

Even if it wasn't a new architecture, that doesn't mean there weren't any changes. The FPU in Broadwell definitely behaves differently to the one in Haswell for example, not due to the eDRAM either.

It is/was, just not on mainstream desktop. At this point it probably will never be. Intel have only said 10nm isn't dead for desktop. My gut feel is they'll launch a 10nm Ice Lake-X based off Ice Lake-SP towards the end of the year, and that's the 10nm desktop offering. Mainstream will be based off something newer than Sunny Cove in 2021.

It wasn't my intention to discredit any changes in Broadwell, just that the article may not have "forgotten" Broadwell as the first 14nm architecture when it wasn't technically considered an architecture by Intel. It was based heavily on Haswell with some changes under the hood. 

I remember on one of the old slides that Cannonlake was going to be the next "architecture", and was shocked when it launched as yet another mobile-only node shrink. It's crazy how almost none of the original slide plans came to be, or completely changed from what they were intended to be.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont know where you got that or if you came up with it, but I'm using that. 

A few years ago when I went to FITEs LAN in PA, a local Mexican restaurant was (not sure if it still exists) was called Neato Burrito

After seeing them I say Neato Burrito a lot too.

EDIT: They do exist http://neatoburrito.com/

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Hmm yes the 10 core 9900K here is made out of 10 core 9900K

36uswl.png.ad0e8871be2ca793cb3014c9016b4044.png

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They're just going for the shit 5GHz crap no matter what to keep the gamer fanboys happy because apparently that number means something to them

just reminded me of my favorite little marketing discrepancy lol

Intel advertised the 8086K as then "first CPU to turbo to 5GHz", except...

image.png.7029ddb17308c2b04d46f2489e1dcf2b.png

The second result, from 2013, reveals that it was actually the FX 9590 lol.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They're just going for the shit 5GHz crap no matter what to keep the gamer fanboys happy because apparently that number means something to them

It's aesthetically pleasing and sounds nice. 

Also gamers can justifiably be fanboys, Intel chips are still winning in games. AMD is currently dominating most pretty much everything multicore though, and if they can get tighter core to core latencies with the next gen chips, they should be able to beat ringbus in games as well. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

and if they can get tighter core to core latencies with the next gen chips, they should be able to beat ringbus in games as well. 

this would be on top of their already promised 17% IPC uplift for 4th gen, and they delivered on the 15% promised for last gen so there's a lot to look forward to.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

this would be on top of their already promised 17% IPC uplift for 4th gen, and they delivered on the 15% promised for last gen so there's a lot to look forward to.

Ooooooooooooo yeah they may be bullying Intel for a good bit if team blue can't get their 10nm out and acting like it should in a decent timeframe. ?

Main PC 

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

At this point, I am only curious as to what Intel means by "improved memory overclocking". If they've altered the IMC to remove DDR3 support and instead give us a full fledged DDR4 memory controller with extra girth, it might be interesting to play around with. 

Do the desktop SKUs use the same IMC as their mobile counterparts? TIL 10th gen still supports DDR3L/LPDDR3 :o.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

I just entered that term into google and the AMD one was the first result, Intel didn't get a mention until third result.

cpusearch.thumb.jpg.1808fd75a1cdd651e4a130fec9906fb9.jpg

Also many of the articles seem to have Intel claim it's "their" first 5Ghz as opposed to "the" first.

Either way, anyone who believes general marketing guff will always be disappointed in companies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10900k is going to be more hotter than 9900k. Good luck cooling it with air because big boy air coolers are not enough for 9900k. 

5 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Maybe they were thinking that nuclear reactors don't count as cpus. 

I look forward to seeing just how hot and how many actual watts the 1099999010100011009k takes to run fully boosted on all cores in a review.

Honestly, anybody I would tell to build a PC right now, even for gaming, I'd say pick up an "old" 2600/2700 for just over 100 bucks and a good motherboard and run with it as good enough until ryzen 4k unless they really needed the extra fps right now.  Makes temporary use of the CPU reasonably priced without having to wait to build and enjoy.

Oh how the mighty have fallen! Should serve as a hard lesson for them not to rest on your laurels. I hope they put out something amazing though. Competition is always good because consumers win. I don't want AMD to become what Intel is now.

Ryzen 5 2600 OCd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.275v l Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS Wifi l MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super

GSkill TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 l NZXT Kraken M22 AIO l Deepcool Macube 310P