Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Is that legit?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was looking for a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter for my Dell optiplex 7020, then someone told me that he had a "500 Watt Modified PSU" That had an 8 Pin connector... Till now he sent me no photos, he just offered it out of the blue... So is that PSU he is offering legit? Will that PSU explode in my face when I try using it?

How are we supposed to know?
It sounds like it's something he modified himself and is selling.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How are we supposed to know?
It sounds like it's something he modified himself and is selling.

I will try to edit this topic after I get the photos

Folks, What is the stress test I should use to see if the PSU is not faulty, and how long should I keep it running? I need an answer ASAP, Pleaseeee

It's not improbable that someone has modded a PSU to work in that Dell.  Did he say why he modded the PSU he has?  Was it specifically for a machine he used it in?  Ask the other guy some more questions.  

And you'll need equipment to test a PSU.  Either actual PSU testing equipment or PC components.  And I don't think you want to test a PSU with your actual PC components to see if it's faulty.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

18 minutes ago, nick name said:

It's not improbable that someone has modded a PSU to work in that Dell.  Did he say why he modded the PSU he has?  Was it specifically for a machine he used it in?  Ask the other guy some more questions.  

And you'll need equipment to test a PSU.  Either actual PSU testing equipment or PC components.  And I don't think you want to test a PSU with your actual PC components to see if it's faulty.  

and if a PSU failed, what can it burn away with it?

Just now, InfinityVive said:

and if a PSU failed, what can it burn away with it?

Worst case: everything.  Lucky case: just the PSU.  The other thing, though, is that the PSU could run without giving you any reason to suspect anything is wrong while it delivers bad power to your motherboard which could lead to component failures.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/3 Corsair SP120L and 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-15-14-14-30  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Did you ask that guy any more questions?

49 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Till now he sent me no photos

Does that mean he just now sent them to you?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x  | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P350x | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Redragon K556 | Monitor(s): Main: Dell E2014h 1600x900, Secondary: HP w19e 1440x900

"You don't need to spend a crap ton of money to build yourself a worthwhile gaming computer." -JayzTwoCents (Blasphemy, I know. Deal with it.)

I can't help you buy something if you don't list a budget or intended use.

I can't help you troubleshoot if you don't list your specs/config.

P.S. Pictures usually help.

26 minutes ago, TrainFan2020 said:

Does that mean he just now sent them to you?

-.- seriously, I said I will edit it when he sends me photos, please keep a follow on this topic till I get the photos

BTW, What is the best way to know if the PSU won't damage my PC in a long term situation? how can I be sure the PSU is working perfectly fine and won't cause long term problems like Hard Drive failure?

3 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

BTW, What is the best way to know if the PSU won't damage my PC in a long term situation? how can I be sure the PSU is working perfectly fine and won't cause long term problems like Hard Drive failure?

The only way to check is to connect it to a load tester, and oscilloscope, and other expensive equipment to measure voltages, ripple and other electrical characteristics. 

13 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

The only way to check is to connect it to a load tester, and oscilloscope, and other expensive equipment to measure voltages, ripple and other electrical characteristics. 

Capture.PNG

20 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

<snip>

did you manage to get the pictures?

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

6 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

did you manage to get the pictures?

Nope, he said tommorow, that's why I posted that bruh

15 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

ok just thought id ask

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

On 1/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, InfinityVive said:

any update with the PSU?