AMD 3950x stuck in a lower powerstate? Stuck near 600Mhz.

Greetings from a long time lurker.

I am experiencing a strange bug with my 3950x for the second time. I just resumed from hibernation, and my CPU seems to stay clocked between 500 and 800Mhz.
Windows is reporting utilization at 1 or 2 %, despite there being some stutters and slowness in system operation at this speed. Additionally HWmonitor is reporting half the cores at 567mhz, while the rest seem fine at 3.5Ghz.

Temps are near 36C, so there is no overheating causing this. Only software that was hibernated was Firefox.

image.png.90e3ea1511a180b52ff5c0cc06a7654f.png

A restart can fix this, at-least it did last time, but I want to fix this so I can use hibernation. Restarting would defeat the point of hibernation.

Has anyone seen this yet? The 2 times I have seen this issue have been when I resume from Hibernation, but not every time.

Specs and software:

Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Master, BIOS F11

CPU: 3950x (stock)

RAM: 16GB x 2 3600Mhz CL16 GSkill

PSU: 750W EVGA Supernova G2

Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX

I can give additional details if I missed something.

Edited by UnknownEngineer
Added RAM details

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

42 minutes ago, UnknownEngineer said:

A restart can fix this, at-least it did last time, but I want to fix this so I can use hibernation. Restarting would defeat the point of hibernation.

Has anyone seen this yet? The 2 times I have seen this issue have been when I resume from Hibernation, but not every time.

Have you tried loading all of the cores? it's pretty normal for the CPU to down clock when idle.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

29 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Have you tried loading all of the cores? it's pretty normal for the CPU to down clock when idle.

I tried playing Witcher 3 the first time I had this bug, it was "playable". Also that didn't fix the down-clocking. I didn't try a synthetic load, I might try that next time.

With that in mind, the lowest speed I "naturally" see is 3.5Ghz on desktop, windows never reports lower than 4Ghz since it sees just the current highest speed.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

1 minute ago, UnknownEngineer said:

I didn't try a synthetic load, I might try that next time.

Try a simple Cinebench load and see how it responds, it's impossible to judge if your CPU is locked at a certain speed if you're only idling, you have 16-freakin-cores, Windows can barely utilize them so they will rest until they are needed.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

One thing i noticed with my cpu that did something similar (ryzen 3700x), check your system power settings, make sure its on high performance. I've had ryzen master kick it to power saver and underclocked my cpu hard.

2 hours ago, UnknownEngineer said:

1usmus Ryzen powerplan.

Well, that seems to be working well! 

My recommendation : Remove or disable this, update your BIOS, update chipset,  update Windows,  set power plan to Windows balanced (not Ryzen)

In that order. 

If there even is a problem which is at this time quite unclear. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

A restart can fix this

I kinda wonder what it fixes actually,  because that hwmonitor screen shot looks fairly normal to me. 

So what are the issues you're experiencing while playing games,  if any? 

32 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

One thing i noticed with my cpu that did something similar (ryzen 3700x), check your system power settings, make sure its on high performance. I've had ryzen master kick it to power saver and underclocked my cpu hard.

It's currently recommended by AMD to use *Windows balanced* power plan on latest Windows 10 version, as apparently the issues they had for the longest time are fixed. 

Ryzen power plans are obsolete and to my knowledge don't even get installed anymore by default. 

Windows is reporting utilization at 1 or 2 %

My CPU usage while on desktop is usually 0% or 1%,  I'm not experiencing any slowness or similar. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

44 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I kinda wonder what it fixes actually,  because that hwmonitor screen shot looks fairly normal to me. 

So what are the issues you're experiencing while playing games,  if any? 

It's currently recommended by AMD to use *Windows balanced* power plan on latest Windows 10 version, as apparently the issues they had for the longest time are fixed. 

Ryzen power plans are obsolete and to my knowledge don't even get installed anymore by default. 

My CPU usage while on desktop is usually 0% or 1%,  I'm not experiencing any slowness or similar. 

image.png.510b0542e016f3338460d188971035be.png

This is default behavior. CPU usage is usually above 1 or 2 % if I am not idle. With the bug it will not go over that even with load. I will however test the default power-plan to see if it has an effect.

When the bug is in effect games were stuttery, FPS was also lower.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, that seems to be working well! 

My recommendation : Remove or disable this, update your BIOS, update chipset,  update Windows,  set power plan to Windows balanced (not Ryzen)

In that order. 

If there even is a problem which is at this time quite unclear. 

BIOS is the latest version, drivers are update. Windows is on version 1909, with latest updates, any newer and I need to be an insider.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Scott Macbeth said:

I had one person say they had the same issue once on a 3600X. They said they were using the blanced poweplan, maybe the 1usmus powerplan I have could be a source of issues. Hopefully one of the default power-plans is without issue.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, UnknownEngineer said:

maybe the 1usmus powerplan I have could be a source of issues.

If everything including chipset drivers on your PC is up to date I think that's very likely in fact.

And like I said for Ryzen 3000 windows balanced is recommended because that's the one they actually fixed for this particular CPU series. 

I did couple of tests,  without fail it's what gave me the best results - and it's simply the most efficient setting with the least issues - generally. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, Mark Kaine said:

If everything including chipset drivers on your PC is up to date I think that's very likely in fact.

And like I said for Ryzen 3000 windows balanced is recommended because that's the one they actually fixed for this particular CPU series. 

I did couple of tests,  without fail it's what gave me the best results - and it's simply the most efficient setting with the least issues - generally. 

Sorry about reviving the issue. I have new information.

Been running a default Ryzen power plan for a few days now. The powebug reappeared while using AMD Ryzen High Performance.

image.thumb.png.4397627a15476286aaeec93182e4062e.png

This is me starting a blender render. 12 threads out of 32 are affected. So, only 4 cores out of 16 actual cores are functioning normally? 3/4 of one chiplet is having an issue, that doesn't really make sense to me. The frequency I am stuck at is higher, but some cores fail to reach base clock. System did not recover despite the blender generated load. The issue is the same, but behaving differently compared to 1usmus powerplan. In this case, the performance loss is less severe compared to the same bug on 1usmus powerplan.

When the system is working normally, the default power plans don't really differ from the 1usmus power plans, except in high frame-rate gaming. Warframe, the only game I really play, stutters constantly with default powerplans. 1usmus stutters as well, but it only ever seems to last for 3 or 4 seconds. In actual workloads I see no performance difference, blender renders are just as fast with both plans.

The bug reappeared similarly as last time, upon recovering from hibernation.

Edited by UnknownEngineer
Corrected statement to be speculation.

Spoiler