To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

If I buy a camera that records at 4K, will it automatically create the lower resolutions for YouTube?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm just wondering; When you go to a YouTube video these days (let's use Linus' videos as an example), if you record using a single camera then upload that to YouTube, it outputs the resolution in not only 4K, but also 1440p, 1080p etc but ALSO 60fps for the lower resolutions...

I'm looking at buying this DSLR: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/dslr-and-compact-system-cameras/canon-eos-250d-dslr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55-mm-f-3-5-5-6-iii-lens-10192409-pdt.html

Apparently it can do 4K at 25fps and 1080p at 59.94fps (60). 

Is there any particular feature I must be looking out for, or let's say if I bought the above camera and 'recorded' in the 4K 25fps format, would it also generate the recordings in different formats etc?

CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

No, the camera will only output 4K 25fps or 1080p 59.94FPS.

If you record at 4K 25FPS Youtube will output the lower resolutions at 25FPS - they can't magically create extra frames.

No camera will do that - if you want to output BOTH 4K AND 1080p 60FPS you need a camera that can shoot 4K 60FPS.

You also need to edit and export on a 4K 60fps timeline (which is a hell of a lot of data and a painful editing process).

I have the 250D though, and use it ALOT more than my professional cameras (Blackmagic URSA, Canon C100 Mk II) because a) it doesn't need to be rigged up and b) It's dual pixel autofocus is compatible with any lens which is super useful for the kind of travel video I do.

If you say, upload a 4K video to YouTube, YouTube will automatically process it to create all the Lower resolutions automatically.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP Envy x360 13

APU: R7 2700u | RAM: 8GB | SSD: 240GB NVME | Display: 1920*1080 IPS touch with pen | OS: Windows 10 Home 1903

Accessories:

Spoiler

Mouse: G602 | Monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 | Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: who knows lol

AMP/DAC: FiiO E07k | Phone: iPhone 7+ 128gb Matte Black

YouTube converts the video to the uploaded video's specifications. If you record at 2160p at 25fps, it will allow that video to be viewed up to 2160p strictly at 25fps. If you record at 1080p at 59.94fps (I'll call it 60fps), it will generate encodes up to that 1080p60 file.

Local asshole and VHS collector. Less than avid Team Fortress 2 player.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

13 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

If you say, upload a 4K video to YouTube, YouTube will automatically process it to create all the Lower resolutions automatically.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

YouTube converts the video to the uploaded video's specifications. If you record at 2160p at 25fps, it will allow that video to be viewed up to 2160p strictly at 25fps. If you record at 1080p at 59.94fps (I'll call it 60fps), it will generate encodes up to that 1080p60 file.

Yeah but i'm mainly concerned with FPS as well. It would be nice to buy a 4K camera that can film at 30-25fps but the resolution will downscale to 1080p, however the FPS will be 60.

Just now, TheBritishVillain said:

Yeah but i'm mainly concerned with FPS as well. It would be nice to buy a 4K camera that can film at 30-25fps but the resolution will downscale to 1080p, however the FPS will be 60.

If you record at 60fps, the file will be 60fps and YouTube will acknowledge it as such. If you record at 25/30fps, that file will be at 25/30fps and YouTube will acknowledge that as such. Simple as that.

Local asshole and VHS collector. Less than avid Team Fortress 2 player.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

4 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

No if you record at 4K 25-30 when it down scales to 1080p it will still be at whatever frame rate you shot in. Youtube can't magically create more frames. 

5 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

If you record at 60fps, the file will be 60fps and YouTube will acknowledge it as such. If you record at 25/30fps, that file will be at 25/30fps and YouTube will acknowledge that as such. Simple as that.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

No if you record at 4K 25-30 when it down scales to 1080p it will still be at whatever frame rate you shot in. Youtube can't magically create more frames. 

Yhyh, I understand this now. It just means that having a camera that shoots at 1080p at 60fps is useless if you also want to record in 4K (even at 30fps) because the 1080p matches the same FPS as the 4K; ultimately meaning you HAVE to buy a 4K 60fps camera.

Yhyh, I understand this now. It just means that having a camera that shoots at 1080p at 60fps is useless if you also want to record in 4K (even at 30fps) because the 1080p matches the same FPS as the 4K; ultimately meaning you HAVE to buy a 4K 60fps camera.

No? Not every video is shot at the same FPS. 60fps video is worthless for anything that is not fast action or if you want to use it for slow motion because if you shoot in 60fps you can play it back at 24 meaning it will be in slow motion.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No? Not every video is shot at the same FPS. 60fps video is worthless for anything that is not fast action or if you want to use it for slow motion because if you shoot in 60fps you can play it back at 24 meaning it will be in slow motion.

I'm not too sure how your comment refers to what I said.

Basically, my point is that if I want to film in 4K 30fps, but ALSO want to film in 1080p 60fps, then i'll HAVE to buy a camera that can output 4K 60fps; hence costing more.

7 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I'm not too sure how your comment refers to what I said.

Basically, my point is that if I want to film in 4K 30fps, but ALSO want to film in 1080p 60fps, then i'll HAVE to buy a camera that can output 4K 60fps; hence costing more.

Yes but you would never deliver is product in multiple frame rates.

Be warned with the EOS 250D (Rebel SL3 in North America) that there is a very heavy crop in 4k, with a 1.7x crop factor (making wide-angle shooting very challenging), on top of loosing Dual Pixel AF, going down to the slower, less accurate contrast detect autofocus.

1 minute ago, ThePointblank said:

Be warned with the EOS 250D (Rebel SL3 in North America) that there is a very heavy crop in 4k, with a 1.7x crop factor (making wide-angle shooting very challenging), on top of loosing Dual Pixel AF, going down to the slower, less accurate contrast detect autofocus.

Any other recommendations then for a 4K camera with decent focus for filming video?

Any other recommendations then for a 4K camera with decent focus for filming video?

What's the budget, and do you need lenses? That will drive the consideration.

2 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

What's the budget, and do you need lenses? That will drive the consideration.

Budget per camera is MAX £1000 but the cheaper the better.

Requirements:

-Needs to film in 4K

-Good focus for filming a fixed point

-Fairly easy to use

Budget per camera is MAX £1000 but the cheaper the better.

Requirements:

-Needs to film in 4K

-Good focus for filming a fixed point

-Fairly easy to use

If you want to stick with Canon, the Canon EOS M6 Mark II is under your budget, with the 15-45mm Lens and EVF-DC2 Viewfinder.

A very decent alternative is the Sony a6500, with the kit 16-50mm lens for under your budget. Be warned that the Sony does have a significant rolling shutter issue.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA is another alternative; it is a very powerful point and shoot camera with excellent video quality and features.

Finally, the Nikon Z 50 with the 16-50mm lens is a solid option; good features and auto focus.

9 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

If you want to stick with Canon, the Canon EOS M6 Mark II is under your budget, with the 15-45mm Lens and EVF-DC2 Viewfinder.

A very decent alternative is the Sony a6500, with the kit 16-50mm lens for under your budget. Be warned that the Sony does have a significant rolling shutter issue.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VA is another alternative; it is a very powerful point and shoot camera with excellent video quality and features.

Finally, the Nikon Z 50 with the 16-50mm lens is a solid option; good features and auto focus.

I'll check them all out. Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, TheBritishVillain said:

Honestly, neither frame rate nor resolution matter that much on Youtube, and I think above 1080p30 the effort of editing is just not worth it (4K content on a 1080p timeline is useful though)

Most people watch in 480p or 720p.

2 hours ago, Dredgy said:

Honestly, neither frame rate nor resolution matter that much on Youtube, and I think above 1080p30 the effort of editing is just not worth it (4K content on a 1080p timeline is useful though)

Most people watch in 480p or 720p.

Also it's always best to down sample which means its best to record higher then 4k and then downsample it to 4k. Which means more money/less choice, though youtube compresses videos like no tomorrow.