Deliberate bricking, the Sonos way.

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

@RonnieOP  I think at his stage in the debate you either understand the problem but don't want to accept it for whatever reason or you are never going to understand it. 

I am not bothering to post in this thread anymore unless you provide new reasoning as to how this is a good thing.

There is no problem.

Again i never said that this was the best solution. But its far from the worst. 

Is the solution worst then someone buying a new speaker and throwing their old speaker in the landfill?  Yes or no?

The person who would take this offer was not going to sale it otherwise. Nobody is going to say "well i was planning on selling this for $100 but now that i can do this im just going to take $30 instead".

Now the argument for shipping it being bad for the environment. That doesnt really work either.

The planes, trucks, vans, etc that the speakers would be shipped on are already being used.  Sonos doesnt use its own carrier that only carries its mail. So its not making anyone use more fossil fuels at all to ship it.

The packaging. Its a bricked speaker. Put it in a cardboard box that you were going to recycle anyway and use that. I highly doubt sonos doesnt have cardboard recycling. So the box you use shipping it ends up recycled just like you were going to do in the first place.

Its not that i dont understand your issue with it. Its more that your clearly misunderstanding what im saying.

Your argument only works if the person with the old speaker was going to do the better options. Not everyone was going to do those options. Again there are plenty of people out there that will buy a new speaker and toss their old one in the landfill. This option is better then doing that.

Also if you have an old sonos that maybe has blown or maybe it has bt issues. What if nobody wants to buy it locally to you? So you were just gonna toss it in the landfill. Now you have incentives to recycle it to get a discount.

Again. I never said this was the best option. But its not the worse. 

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Also if you have an old sonos that maybe has blown or maybe it has bt issues. What if nobody wants to buy it locally to you? So you were just gonna toss it in the landfill. Now you have incentives to recycle it to get a discount.

If it doesn't work, you get no discount....

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

If it doesn't work, you get no discount....

How? How is sonos going to know if my speaker is blown but i can upload the firmware and brick it. Then take it to ky local recycling center.

Theres no way for them to deny me the discount if the speakers blown.

Ive only quickly read the article linked but i didnt see anything about it needing to be perfectly working.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

How? How is sonos going to know if my speaker is blown but i can upload the firmware and brick it. Then take it to ky local recycling center.

Theres no way for them to deny me the discount if the speakers blown.

Ive only quickly read the article linked but i didnt see anything about it needing to be perfectly working.

It needs to function as far as them being able to remotely fucker it.

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It needs to function as far as them being able to remotely fucker it.

It needs to be able to install the firmware right?

So a sonos with a blown speaker could still do that. One that has a fried bt chip could still do that.

7 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

It needs to be able to install the firmware right?

So a sonos with a blown speaker could still do that. One that has a fried bt chip could still do that.

Can you say that with 100% certanty? Did you personnaly oversee the system development?

15 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Can you say that with 100% certanty? Did you personnaly oversee the system development?

Does the firmware need to be uploaded via bt?

How would a blown speaker stop it from being updated?

A sonos with a blown speaker works the same as one without a blown speaker. It just sounds like shit lol.

Do you have any info on why it wouldnt work with a blown speaker? 

Because common sense would tell you that a blown speaker wont mess with firmware updates 

If the speaker looks like shit and is busted all over but still functions fine are you going to argue that the firmware will be able to see that the plastic enclosure is busted up? 

How does that make sense to you?

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

Does the firmware need to be uploaded via bt?

The updater may check for the presence of the BT module, just as it may perform checks on the amplifier to ensure the product was manufactured properly.

You have no clue what they do, or how they do it, for all you know if you make a warranty claim the device could run self tests remotely. A blown speaker will have different loading on the amplifier compared to a good one, that's easy to pick up. It may check the BT module and refuse to update if it's missing or damaged.

Unless you have inside knowledge of the company and how it's products were engineered, you need to stop assuming that they can't do things.

4 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

The updater may check for the presence of the BT module, just as it may perform checks on the amplifier to ensure the product was manufactured properly.

You have no clue what they do, or how they do it, for all you know if you make a warranty claim the device could run self tests remotely. A blown speaker will have different loading on the amplifier compared to a good one, that's easy to pick up. It may check the BT module and refuse to update if it's missing or damaged.

Unless you have inside knowledge of the company and how it's products were engineered, you need to stop assuming that they can't do things.

So do you have any evidence that if the speaker is busted up that it wont update the firmware and qualify? Otherwise hows your assumptions any better then mine?

I know for a fact you can update firmware with a blown speaker. Bt module i dont know.

14 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

So do you have any evidence that if the speaker is busted up that it wont update the firmware and qualify? Otherwise hows your assumptions any better then mine?

I know for a fact you can update firmware with a blown speaker. Bt module i dont know.

Are you actually Ralph?

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Are you actually Ralph?

I mean your claiming that they wont let you brick a busted device....without any evidence.

Ive never seen someone claim they couldnt update the firmware on their sonos when the bt wasnt working.

I know for a fact that the speaker being blown doesnt effect firmware. Ive personally done it. 

So what evidence do you have to support your claim that you cant recycle busted ones and get the discount?

You may be right. I doubt it. But if you have any evidence show me. Im not proud ive been wrong plenty of times in my life and will continue to get things wrong. But show me im wrong.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

I mean your claiming that they wont let you brick a busted device....without any evidence.

Ive never seen someone claim they couldnt update the firmware on their sonos when the bt wasnt working.

I know for a fact that the speaker being blown doesnt effect firmware. Ive personally done it. 

So what evidence do you have to support your claim that you cant recycle busted ones and get the discount?

You may be right. I doubt it. But if you have any evidence show me. Im not proud ive been wrong plenty of times in my life and will continue to get things wrong. But show me im wrong.

If the device won't power on, no discount. That's known.

If you simply return it, you get no discount. It has to be intentionally disabled.

All I said was it needs to function as far as for them to remotely fucker it, the exact requirements for that we do not know. You are stating that they can do it with faulty hardware, and I was pointing out that it is possible for them to detect faults and refuse the offer. I've not directly claimed anything, but rather offered potential methods of detecting hardware faults and deeming the device inelligable.

5 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

If the device won't power on, no discount. That's known.

If you simply return it, you get no discount. It has to be intentionally disabled.

All I said was it needs to function as far as for them to remotely fucker it, the exact requirements for that we do not know. You are stating that they can do it with faulty hardware, and I was pointing out that it is possible for them to detect faults and refuse the offer. I've not directly claimed anything, but rather offered potential methods of detecting hardware faults and deeming the device inelligable.

"If it doesn't work, you get no discount"

thats what you said. 

I agree if it doesnt power on it probably wont work. Since you cant upload the software.

but theres no reason to believe that a bad bt module or blown speaker would cause issues with the bricking software. And again what if the device is busted up but functioning fine? Ive got a sonos that works perfectly fine but its literally in parts. The shell is long gone. Theres no way their firmware could detect the plastic was busted to all hell.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

"If it doesn't work, you get no discount"

thats what you said. 

I agree if it doesnt power on it probably wont work. Since you cant upload the software.

but theres no reason to believe that a bad bt module or blown speaker would cause issues with the bricking software. And again what if the device is busted up but functioning fine? Ive got a sonos that works perfectly fine but its literally in parts. The shell is long gone. Theres no way their firmware could detect the plastic was busted to all hell.

So you’re saying “it depends on how exactly it is broken” which while not incorrect is somewhat narrow.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So you’re saying “it depends on how exactly it is broken” which while not incorrect is somewhat narrow.  

Well naturally if it cant cut on you wouldnt be able to upload the required firmware right?

Something not powering on is only one way it could be busted. But i figured since this whole discussion is about the bricking firmware i didnt think i needed to say it had to atleast be able to cut on to install said firmware lol.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:32 PM, RonnieOP said:

You cant be this dumb can you?

Your comparing an option to recycle something to physically adsaulting someone 

And you thought you were making a good point here?

You cannot be this dumb can you?

Your (sic) comparing an option to *brick* something to physically bricking someone's face.

;)

Really. It's an option to damage irrecoverably, the product, for a discount on a new one.