TeamViewer alternative? (needs portable version)

kingmustard

I have been using TeamViewer for a while to display my 'server' (just a standard Windows 10 machine running Plex, MediaMonkey etc.) display on my main PC.

However, every few months, TeamViewer thinks it's detected commercial use. From that point on, it disconnects me after a minute each time I connect.

I have filled in their "you're wrong" form many times over the years and, although it literally takes many weeks each time for them to re-allow normal access (they never let me know they've restored access, I just need to keep trying), another few months later, it happens again.

It's frustrating and I'm looking for an alternative.

Requirements

• Free
  • Portable version available

Hopeful of

• I like that TeamViewer allows you to sign in and list your computers. Very handy.

Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, kendoka said:

Remmina? Try looking into it...

Remmina is an RDP/VNC/SSH client. It has no server features. 

OP: Run a VPN server and run RDP behind it, thats what I do.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Remmina is an RDP/VNC/SSH client. It has no server features. 

OP: Run a VPN server and run RDP behind it, thats what I do.

My server is a standard Windows 10 machine running Plex / MediaMonkey.

I just need access to the display, mouse and keyboard.

I don't need server features.

I should have been clearer - I will update the first post :)

5 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

My server is a standard Windows 10 machine running Plex / MediaMonkey. I just need access to the display, mouse and keyboard.

I don't need server features.

I should have been clearer - I will update the first post.

I know, remmina relies on VNC/RDP to connect so pretty much a replacement for RDP client on windows. I tend to run remote access stuff behind VPN, makes me feel a little more secure and its much easier to deal with.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You could use TightVNC ... freeware. Install VNC server on the computer you wish to access remotely, port forward it in your modem/router if needed, and you can use vnc viewer or use the web based viewer from anywhere (if you enable it on the server side, and which sadly requires Java to work which can take a while to download and install somewhere, just to view in browser something)

I use RealVNC which is a commercial  VNC solution ... it has a free version with limited features that can be upgraded to a licensed version with a lot of good to have features (better encryption and compression and other things). It's basically a smoother experience.

They rebranded it as VNC Connect, but you can still download server and viewers separately : https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/

- these newer versions may require to create a free account on their site to use the software but I'm not sure, I still use the version before all this "cloud" stuff was introduced which works perfectly fine for my needs.

They still have the classic RealVNC packages (like TightVNC) here:  https://archive.realvnc.com/download/

• 1 month later...

You can have a look at tools like on premise R-HUB remote support servers, Logmein, etc. They work well