Canon SL3 or EOS M6

atxcyclist

So, I have an old 10MP Rebel XS/1000D that I bought used a few years back. It takes great photos, but the resolution is a bit limited, and it lacks a ton of features present on newer cameras. I'm considering an upgrade, but there's a lot out there. Both of the cameras in question are around $499 new currently, but the SL3 is just a body and the M6 comes with the body and two lenses. Realizing that EF and EF-M lenses are not compatible without an adapter, the M6 coming with two lenses is a plus. I know the M6 has no viewfinder, and all framing is done with the rear screen, but the touch autofocus needs this anyway so it's really the same on both. 4K video isn't really something I need, in fact video isn't much of consideration and both do 1080p. I'll just mostly be taking photos.

If you were in the market for an entry digital camera, which one would you choose? Or should I just keep rolling with the Rebel XS I have (it only has about 2000 shutter count). 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

both are fine, though having a XS with only around 2000 shutter count is surprising. the e mount is dying, which is good and bad, bad it means they will end up stop making lenses for it and there will be no uprade roadmap, good is that means there might be many chances the lenses get cheaper and there is already alot of choices for lenses.

ef-m has a really limited amount of lenses, good part is you can get first party adapter mount for ef to ef-m

14 minutes ago, Williamchan87 said:

both are fine, though having a XS with only around 2000 shutter count is surprising. the e mount is dying, which is good and bad, bad it means they will end up stop making lenses for it and there will be no uprade roadmap, good is that means there might be many chances the lenses get cheaper and there is already alot of choices for lenses.

ef-m has a really limited amount of lenses, good part is you can get first party adapter mount for ef to ef-m

I bought my XS from a shop with the extended battery/portrait grip, AA battery tray for the grip, a 18-55 lens, and several batteries for $199 back in 2016. I think someone bought almost everything for it and then hardly used it. I really like it but limited ISO equivalency and only 10MP kneecap it a bit. I've managed to wrangle a few good deals on eBay for lenses so another EF APS-C body makes the most sense. The mirrorless is tempting because of the compact size, but there's a lot of utility in a viewfinder for normal photos that I'm not sure I'd be happy without. I realize there's an add-on viewfinder for it, but at $150 it's a bit steep.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

oh side note, when ever buying say e or F (nikon) always buy the full frame lenses, theres a few reason for it, first the APSC lenses are usually quality (build and image) inferior. The APSC versions tend to be harder to get rid of, not counting they have to be heavily discounted. Also if you were to upgrade to FF of the brand you can't use most of the APSC versions.

Unless you're keen on an EVF, I'd go with the SL3. Seems like you've got a bunch of EF-S lenses already and the M6 wouldn't offer that much in terms of size and weight reduction.

Unless the M6 has some feature that the SL3 doesn't have that you think is a must, then I'd say the SL3 is the way to go.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

18 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Unless you're keen on an EVF, I'd go with the SL3. Seems like you've got a bunch of EF-S lenses already and the M6 wouldn't offer that much in terms of size and weight reduction.

Unless the M6 has some feature that the SL3 doesn't have that you think is a must, then I'd say the SL3 is the way to go.

I ended up with a Fuji X-T100, B&H had a package on sale with a 15-45mm lens for $399. Currently backordered but expected in stock in a few weeks. Not sure if I’ll be done with my DSLR, but I have film cameras ranging from 35mm to 4x5 sheet, so if I want to haul big camera equipment around I still can. I’ll probably keep a mirrorless camera on me more frequently.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

3 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I ended up with a Fuji X-T100, B&H had a package on sale with a 15-45mm lens for $399. Currently backordered but expected in stock in a few weeks. Not sure if I’ll be done with my DSLR, but I have film cameras ranging from 35mm to 4x5 sheet, so if I want to haul big camera equipment around I still can. I’ll probably keep a mirrorless camera on me more frequently.

Fuji is what I tend to recommend anyway when we're talking APS-C mirrorless. So, good choice! I was basing my opinion on the notion that the SL3 and M6 were your only options.

Also, *looks at username* you a cyclist?

6 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Fuji is what I tend to recommend anyway when we're talking APS-C mirrorless. So, good choice! I was basing my opinion on the notion that the SL3 and M6 were your only options.

Good to know. My uncle has an X-T2 that he's extremely fond of, and while this isn't the same class of camera it has the few things like an EVF that put it a bit ahead of the Canon for me. I also really like Fuji film too, not that it's really too relevant but one of my film cameras and my freezer have Fuji pro stuff in them

Yeah, mostly a motorcyclist these days, but I used to be pretty active in bicycling.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

I use Fujifilm, and I recommend practically all it's bodies, depending which body style you like look into x-e3 if you like rangefinder, x-t100 for beginner SLR style, x-t30/x-t20 for intermediate SLR style

On 12/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, YellowJersey said:

B&H had the camera in stock the day after I purchased the camera, so I have it in hand, charged up, and have been using it a bit. It is quite impressive, such a huge leap over my Rebel. The sun should be out tomorrow, so with a full battery and empty memory card, I plan on taking some photos.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

22 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

B&H had the camera in stock the day after I purchased the camera, so I have it in hand, charged up, and have been using it a bit. It is quite impressive, such a huge leap over my Rebel. The sun should be out tomorrow, so with a full battery and empty memory card, I plan on taking some photos.

Good travel camera, too.

I'm into bicycles. I've done Canada coast to coast to coast. A bit of a nutter.

3 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Good travel camera, too.

I'm into bicycles. I've done Canada coast to coast to coast. A bit of a nutter.

That's bad-ass. I rode a few hundred miles a week in high school, but I've never been on an epic adventure like that. What's your setup like? Cross-country all terrain, or something like a traditional touring bike? Currently, the only bicycle I have is a rigid mountain disc setup with slicks that I built several years ago for terrible urban street commuting, but I need to do something with the gearing. I've run 3x7 for so long that components just don't exist except for Walmart-level junk, so I want a 2x9 at least, maybe 2x10 since my hub is compatible. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 1/4/2020 at 8:51 PM, atxcyclist said:

That's bad-ass. I rode a few hundred miles a week in high school, but I've never been on an epic adventure like that. What's your setup like? Cross-country all terrain, or something like a traditional touring bike? Currently, the only bicycle I have is a rigid mountain disc setup with slicks that I built several years ago for terrible urban street commuting, but I need to do something with the gearing. I've run 3x7 for so long that components just don't exist except for Walmart-level junk, so I want a 2x9 at least, maybe 2x10 since my hub is compatible. 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:11 AM, Williamchan87 said:

I like how this became a bike thread, any ways I'm into bikes too. Mainly road and cyclocross/gravel.

I wrote out a whole post and then lost it due to some kind of host error.

My first "proper" road bike was a Giant OCR-1. That's the one I did Victoria to St. Johns with and is currently retired. My current bike is a Giant TCX-1 cyclocross, but I use it as a road bike. I got it because my Vancouver to Inuvik ride involved riding the Dempster Highway, which is an 800km dirt "road" through the low Arctic, so I wanted something that I could put some bigger tyres on. We had 5 out of 8 days of rain on the Dempster and the road was just mush. 3C, windy as hell, rainy, cold, and miserable.

I haven't done any fully self-supported trips. My long trips were through a company through Cycle Canada, so we had a truck carrying our camping gear from site to site and we only needed to bring what was needed for the day. I've done the Icefields Parkway a few times from Banff to Jasper, but I was staying at huts along the way, so I didn't need to bring a tent or stove.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:53 PM, YellowJersey said:

My first "proper" road bike was a Giant OCR-1. That's the one I did Victoria to St. Johns with and is currently retired. My current bike is a Giant TCX-1 cyclocross, but I use it as a road bike. I got it because my Vancouver to Inuvik ride involved riding the Dempster Highway, which is an 800km dirt "road" through the low Arctic, so I wanted something that I could put some bigger tyres on. We had 5 out of 8 days of rain on the Dempster and the road was just mush. 3C, windy as hell, rainy, cold, and miserable.

I haven't done any fully self-supported trips. My long trips were through a company through Cycle Canada, so we had a truck carrying our camping gear from site to site and we only needed to bring what was needed for the day. I've done the Icefields Parkway a few times from Banff to Jasper, but I was staying at huts along the way, so I didn't need to bring a tent or stove.

On Friday I took a chance and ordered the 50-230mm F4.5-F6.7 lens that Fuji offers, from a foreign (Hong Kong) seller on eBay. Normally I wouldn't bother with that process with something so expensive, but I put it on a credit card (for an extra layer of buyer protection) and bought the 2 year warranty for an extra $10. Surprisingly it arrived today, in a factory box with all the manuals and packaging intact. 

Reasoning? I was able to buy brand new, a $399 USD lens for $160 shipped with a 2 year warranty...

Next stop: Prime time. I'll be searching for that deal for a while longer I bet. ?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

On 1/6/2020 at 11:53 AM, YellowJersey said:

I have a TCX-1 cyclocross too, it was custom built by someone, i just bought it ride to work. 

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

On Friday I took a chance and ordered the 50-230mm F4.5-F6.7 lens that Fuji offers, from a foreign (Hong Kong) seller on eBay. Normally I wouldn't bother with that process with something so expensive, but I put it on a credit card (for an extra layer of buyer protection) and bought the 2 year warranty for an extra $10. Surprisingly it arrived today, in a factory box with all the manuals and packaging intact. 

Reasoning? I was able to buy brand new, a $399 USD lens for $160 shipped with a 2 year warranty...

Next stop: Prime time. I'll be searching for that deal for a while longer I bet. ?

I have the Fujinon 50-230mm too, i bought it when I saw the price of the 100-400 and the 200mm, I'm still waiting for a 300 or 400 F4 or F5.6

16 hours ago, Williamchan87 said:

I have a TCX-1 cyclocross too, it was custom built by someone, i just bought it ride to work. 

I have the Fujinon 50-230mm too, i bought it when I saw the price of the 100-400 and the 200mm, I'm still waiting for a 300 or 400 F4 or F5.6

A guy on the Vancouver-Inuvik ride had the model above the TCX-1 (TCX-0?) and the dust, dirt, and grit of the Dempster Highway resulted in his rear derailer being torn right off. Mine was fine.

I like the cyclocross style. It feels a bit more robust than a road bike.

Steel frame to me is still superior in robustness, too bad they cant fit too wide of tires and tend to be atleast few pounds heavier due mainly to the frame. 

I have an extra steel frame, I'm not sure if I want to put more vintage parts on it, modern parts, or a mix.