Cloud sharing from a windows 10 pc

I recently built a new desktop, specs given below. Due to the software that I use personally and require for school, I must run windows and sometimes Linux. That's why I decided for running windows 10 pro on the pc directly and running ubuntu 18.04 virtualized. But obviously it is hard to take the pc with me to school, which is why I am looking for a method to share the data on this pc with my laptop. I won't need to access the data multiple times per day (most likely 2/3 times per week), which is why I was thinking of turning on the pc remotely when I need the data.

We do have a NAS at home but it is very slow and would not be suitable to run a service like Nextcloud (neither does my dad want to open it to the WAN, or set up another NAS). That is why I am looking for a way to set up a cloud service (as far as I am aware, this is the best method of accessing data remotely) on my pc (on windows or a virtual machine). Another preference is that I would like to run the hdd's in raid 1 (I know this is not a backup, the most important data is backed up to the NAS, but not all data can be stored on it).

This made me come to the (ideal) situation:

When I am at school I launch my pc remotely and access the data by using a cloud service (or other application) running on the desktop, with it running the hdd's in raid 1.

Current idea:

Use windows storage spaces to setup the hdd's in raid 1 and share the drive as a windows share. Then use Hyper-V to run FreeNAS with Nextcloud, which accesses the widows share with a smbclient.

However this method seems to be overcomplicated and I was curious whether someone has experience with this, would suggest another idea, or proposes another ideal situation for my needs. 

Help is much appreciated, thanks in advance! 

pc specs:

* Ryzen 3900x

* Asus tuf x570 gaming plus (wifi)

* rtx 2070 super

* 32 GB ram

* 1 TB ssd (used as boot drive and for programs)

* 2x 4 TB hdd (currently unassigned)

Lazy way is to just use something like team viewer to access the system remotly. THen you don't need any port forwarding.

Why run freenas? Just make the smb share on windows.

Or you could get a vps and run nextcloud on there, or use something like gdrive,  probalby cheaper, much more reliable.

Electronics Wizardy, thanks for your response!

Unfortunately is something like TeamViewer impossible, due to licencing some software can only run on my laptop when I am physically at school. 

How would I be able to access such a share from school?

And is using a vps / gdrive not quite expensive (no clue what is actually is), since I would like to be able to share most of the storage (approximately 2 TB)? And to be honest, I like tinkering around and would like to setup something myself.

5 hours ago, anonuser said:

Unfortunately is something like TeamViewer impossible, due to licencing some software can only run on my laptop when I am physically at school. 

can you use a browser, just get a web client.

You can try a next cloud vm, have you tried that?

Assuming you'll need to share only what you're actually working on and not a whole 2TB of random stuff... Dropbox?

Or get a Raspberry Pi and install nextcloud on it. It's not a "NAS", even though it will be a NAS :P

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you use a browser, just get a web client.

Not sure wat you mean with this.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can try a next cloud vm, have you tried that?

No, but it sounds promising, will take a look at it later this week.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Or get a Raspberry Pi and install nextcloud on it.

Unfortunately my dad is not fooled that easy.
And I won't need all 2 TB all the time, but it would be nice if I can, but dropbox could be an alternative. When working on things it's nice to be able to look back at previous work.