Trying to find the right RAID controller for my old AMD computer.

So, I have an old AMD FX 8370 cpu, on an old GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ socket motherboard running Windows 10. I run my Plex server off of this and my girlfriend also uses this as her own personal computer. It sort of works as a NAS as well, I back up important documents and files to the HDD's I have in it over our local network. I would like to set up a RAID 1 array and would prefer to have it run off of a RAID controller card. Before I pull the trigger on a RAID card I want to make sure it will be compatible with the system,  or are most RAID cards compatible with the what ever PCIE slot they are designed for. I do not need a battery back up, I just want a reliable RAID card to store my movies, tv shows, music and other miscellaneous files on it.  

I know that i could simply do a software RAID in windows and or run a configure a RAID array in the BIOS, I would prefer to have the RAID run off of it's own controller card and not in the OS or motherboard. 

Does any one know for sure of any good RAID cards that would be compatible with my system?

Thanks

I can't give you an exact answer but I do have some worthwhile notes for you.

1. If avoidable don't use motherboard RAID. It''s terrible.
  2. LSI makes pretty good controllers. I'm partial to their HBAs. The only hardware controllers that are worth having are in the enterprise space.
  3. For a setup as simple as this I'd just use Windows Storage Spaces. It's free, included with windows and will protect the data fine.

Id use storage spacses in windows, its better than hardware raid in many ways, and what id use here

But for a raid card, what are your requirments? Raid level? Num of drive? Drive type? 

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id use storage spacses in windows, its better than hardware raid in many ways, and what id use here

But for a raid card, what are your requirments? Raid level? Num of drive? Drive type? 

RAID 1 , 2 6TB SATA Seagate iron wolf drives. 

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I can't give you an exact answer but I do have some worthwhile notes for you.

1. If avoidable don't use motherboard RAID. It''s terrible.
  2. LSI makes pretty good controllers. I'm partial to their HBAs. The only hardware controllers that are worth having are in the enterprise space.
  3. For a setup as simple as this I'd just use Windows Storage Spaces. It's free, included with windows and will protect the data fine.

I don't want to use a motherboard Raid. Nor a software raid, want to get some experience with raid controller cards.  

1 hour ago, Hudson89506 said:

I don't want to use a motherboard Raid. Nor a software raid, want to get some experience with raid controller cards.  

Really, just use software raid, its better in all ways here.

But if you really want a raid card, get something like a used dell h700. There cheap and will work fine here.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really, just use software raid, its better in all ways here.

But if you really want a raid card, get something like a used dell h700. There cheap and will work fine here.

And it would be compatible with my board?

31 minutes ago, Hudson89506 said:

And it would be compatible with my board?

It should work with all systems. I have had random issues with raid cards and some boards, but you really don't know until you try.