Stolen Youtube Channels used to promote bitcoin scams

Serenityttg

There is a huge hack on dozens of European based YouTube channels. Unknown hacking group, supposedly based in Russia, is currently using stolen channels for promoting their bitcoin scam.

Someone hacked my YouTube Channel with over 310,000 Subscribers and deleted all my videos. What to do? I cant contact anyone, please help. @YTCreators - Roth Wellden, one of the victims via Twitter

Yesterday, a YouTuber called Roth Wellden received an advertising offer for their supposed streaming service called Gloom (which was later found to be a copy of another product called Remotr) with a link to their page and supposed license for their product. When he downloaded setup program for their "product" and tried to launch it, nothing happened. It was this moment when he realized that something was wrong, so he deleted that setup file. However, later that day he suddenly lost complete access to his channel with over 319 000 subscribers. Hackers were able to bypass two factor authentication and quickly gain full access to his account. About two hours later he found out that hackers even stole pictures of his ID card, which he had saved on his computer for authentication purposes. Roth Wellden regained access to his channel at 31st of December 2019.

Update (2nd of January 2020):
Hack in example mentioned above was probably executed via a malware hidden in the setup file Roth downloaded that stole cookies and session ID of his browser and created a backdoor to his computer, which hackers used to access his computer, stealing more data. YouTube at the time of writing this update reinstated most of the affected channels but the thread is still present so be aware of what email exactly are you opening as you should do all the time.

It was later found out that this problem happened to multiple YouTube channels, all based in Europe. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkprLUEGpaaeXXSN6fIeDg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Ew7ux-YFW5dynuymiU_xw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnppe64ZYf9r5r6kuR94PYQ

As you can see, all affected channels are renamed to "Binance" or "Changpeng Zhao [Binance CEO CZ]", however Mr. Zhao said himself that he or his company are not involved in those attacks and attackers are using their names for malicious purposes.

Alert! Scammers are impersonating official Binance accounts and tweeting to ask for deposits to specific addresses in return for gifts. You will lose your tokens if you do this! Binance will never ask you to send coins directly to any address for any reason. - Binance via twitter

Some channels were later sold to other people to use for multitude of others cryptocurrency scams like in the case of the first channel listed above.

1123883342_channelsell1.thumb.jpg.5407c3f797a6af727628e97c9f24c902.jpg

1738335595_channelsell2.thumb.jpg.e990e0191d652a2745a8cc10423c66a0.jpg

Stolen channel being offered on Russian market

Sources: (Disclaimer: articles are in Czech language)

https://tn.nova.cz/clanek/ceskemu-youtuberovi-ukradli-ucet-s-310-tisici-lidmi-smazali-i-videa.html

https://refresher.cz/78829-Ceskemu-youtuberovi-s-300-000-odberateli-ukradli-ucet-Jeho-kanal-ted-vysila-podvodny-stream-o-kryptomenach?fbclid=IwAR1Cox1UFCXEKUsr4n8GshDR4fqLJQVdY-IHPrkk1yZaIsGgJLWrSfkmljc&gdpr-accept=1

https://freebit.cz/uz-nejste-vlastnikem-kanalu-roth-wellden-krypto-scam-zasahl-youtubery/

jhkajhskjhkjhkjhkjasd.jpg

Example of hacked channel.

mail.thumb.jpg.efd10341c1c7d5bdee097ebe83902a2b.jpg

Example of email with said offer. Some people report that they had a link to GameGloom website which contained infected setup file they downloaded.

Edited by The_Nevo
Added additional info and updated the topic

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Why would you download and run something that’s obviously a scam? 

Just now, Donator_HD said:

Its a bussines mail, Roth Wellden cant know about scam.

It’s pretty simple custom to not click on dodgy links that go to a download or whatnot. 

Its not a  "massive hack", its called phishing attack. These extremely common nowadays, I get emails asking for price quotes with excel files and when you open them some sort of shit happens and there goes your data.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its not a  "massive hack", its called phishing attack. These extremely common nowadays, I get emails asking for price quotes with excel files and when you open them some sort of shit happens and there goes your data.

It's all so typical that many big companies just simply filter out all attachments from any incoming mail outright. I didn't bother checking any of the Youtube-channels mentioned, but I'm going to assume they're all rather inexperienced people wrt. technology, because people with even cursory knowledge these days knows not to open files from emails.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's all so typical that many big companies just simply filter out all attachments from any incoming mail outright. I didn't bother checking any of the Youtube-channels mentioned, but I'm going to assume they're all rather inexperienced people wrt. technology, because people with even cursory knowledge these days knows not to open files from emails.

There is atleast one with almost million subs. I guess youtube is not feeding them enough nowadays.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

47 minutes ago, Donator_HD said:

Bussines email says about page gamegloom.com but real page is remotrapp.com

WTF is a "business mail" lmao 

Try learning not to click on random links on emails.  Fullstop. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, floofer said:

It’s pretty simple custom to not click on dodgy links that go to a download or whatnot. 

Doesn't always work that way. When someone is only trying to get their day's work done they are not going to be thinking about scams and stuff.

nth youtuber victim of a phishing attack. It's like they don't even learn from each others mistake 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

When they contact tech support this should be the song that plays :

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

double post

Edited by Kierax

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 minutes ago, EverydayTV said:

Got my email today ? 

Oh wow, it sucks to be a youtuber nowadays huh. Glad you are an aware content creator.

22 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Doesn't always work that way. When someone is only trying to get their day's work done they are not going to be thinking about scams and stuff.

Business mail means nothing because I have had a couple times where suspect emails have gotten through regardless of filters. It was a stupid thing to do and it is a pretty basic security concept to not click on links you know little about not to mention downloading and running an executable. 

18 hours ago, EverydayTV said:

Their registered domain info, not sure if this will help. 

IMG_20191231_014608.jpg

We know. All info we got was forwarded to the Czech police. 

18 hours ago, EverydayTV said:

Screenshot_2019-12-31-01-24-52-829_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android_mail.thumb.jpg.404068de1f1e4cf24ca73afb1a76200c.jpg

Got my email today ? 

Whilst i would still treat this carefully and personally i wouldn't want this kind of ad revenue support if i did this looks legitimate enough to do some looking into. All it would take is somone a tad less cautious than me and i can see how they'd get caught.

Do not open email on your computer that has so many authentications and ways to go around the authentications. Sounds like he got phished and since he put everything on one computer with ways to get around his own security it cannot be fully blamed on the person who stole his information. Sucks when this happens but it shows how important proper security practices are and why there are entire departments/companies that specialize in this. Hopefully people on youtube do not get scammed from the videos as they look very obvious lol. 

On 12/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, suicidalfranco said:

nth youtuber victim of a phishing attack. It's like they don't even learn from each others mistake 

Humans are humans.  Generally cons are never new.  People have been falling for basically the same stuff for centuries.  Often far longer.  The danger is in thinking one is somehow special, and therefore immune.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.