30m HDMI Cable for 4K, 60Hz, HDR

BenTan

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 30m HDMI cable to connect my PC (bedroom) to my LG C8 TV (living room). The HDMI Cable needs to be able to transmit a 4K, 60Hz, HDR signal without issue. The HDMI cable will be used mostly for HDR gaming on my LG C8.

I'm currently looking at this cable: http://www.dynamix.co.nz/Y-C1031BK but other suggestions would be appreciated. It would also be great if some of you with similar experience could chime in on this.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BenTan said:

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 30m HDMI cable to connect my PC (bedroom) to my LG C8 TV (living room). The HDMI Cable needs to be able to transmit a 4K, 60Hz, HDR signal without issue. The HDMI cable will be used mostly for HDR gaming on my LG C8.

I'm currently looking at this cable: http://www.dynamix.co.nz/Y-C1031BK but other suggestions would be appreciated. It would also be great if some of you with similar experience could chime in on this.

Thanks

You need an HDMI 2.1 for the Dynamic HDR metadata (SMPTE ST 2094).

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You need an HDMI 2.1 for the Dynamic HDR metadata (SMPTE ST 2094).

I'm pretty sure Dynamic HDR metadata only applies to some movies? Like I mentioned, I'm using it only for HDR games.

They don't officially rate HDMI after a certain lengths(usually 5m) due to signal deterioration. Now that doesn't stop other companies from still making the cables. This has led to the incorrect belief that they make cables as long as they need to, which is sadly not true. Any reputable company won't make a cable it can't support, which leaves you with the only other option, an extension. Now for movies and simple tasks, an extension that long isn't an issue, but for gaming you bring a ton of variables which add up to lag. Just look at the box Linus used in his latest home server video, it was expensive, and he hid the fact that he still uses his HTPC for gaming, since the video was a show case of what is expected to come in the future.

TL;DR don't bother and build another PC if you're dealing with lengths that long.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

He linked to an optical fibre "cable". Those can do these lengths fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

30 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

They don't officially rate HDMI after a certain lengths(usually 5m) due to signal deterioration.

This is not true at all, there is no length restriction on any HDMI certification. The only requirement is to pass the signal integrity test. This becomes more difficult with longer cable lengths but certifications are not rejected based on length. Even if the cable failed to meet certification for Premium High Speed (4K 60 Hz) then it would just be given a High Speed rating. Or if it failed that, then it would be given a Standard Speed certification.

1 hour ago, BenTan said:

If you want to run 4K 60 Hz 8 bpc, then any Premium High Speed certified cable will do fine. For 4K 60 Hz 10 bpc this is outside the limit of HDMI 2.0 speeds, and will not be possible (regardless of cable) without an HDMI 2.1 graphics card, which doesn't exist.

48 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is not true at all, there is no length restriction on any HDMI certification. The only requirement is to pass the signal integrity test. This becomes more difficult with longer cable lengths but certifications are not rejected based on length. Even if the cable failed to meet certification for Premium High Speed (4K 60 Hz) then it would just be given a High Speed rating. Or if it failed that, then it would be given a Standard Speed certification.

If you want to run 4K 60 Hz 8 bpc, then any Premium High Speed certified cable will do fine. For 4K 60 Hz 10 bpc this is outside the limit of HDMI 2.0 speeds, and will not be possible (regardless of cable) without an HDMI 2.1 graphics card, which doesn't exist.

Thanks for the input. I've tried using a 10m high-speed HDMI cable in the past but I couldn't get a display on my TV. So I'm worried about using a cable that's even longer. If I'm going to run 4k 60Hz 8bpc, Will I need to change any settings in my Nvidia control panel? And will HDR in games still work in this mode?

8bit is by definition not HDR, for HDR you need 10bit. You will not get 4K/60/HDR with any graphics card on the market today (over HDMI).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

55 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

um glenwing you did read he needs to run a "30m" hdmi cable right? NO normal premium high speed cable will have a stable run at 4k hdr. it need to either be boosted, or optical hdmi, or hdmi to ethernet
and like they have said a video card hdmi can only do 4k hdr 60htz 444 8bit. you have to drop either to 422 or 30htz to get 10bit

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You will not get 4K/60/HDR with any graphics card on the market today.

Surely this can't be true? Otherwise the ASUS PG27UQ or the Acer Predator X27 wouldn't exist. I was able to get a HDR signal from my PC to my Samsung CHG70 at 1440p 144Hz.

5 minutes ago, BenTan said:

Surely this can't be true? Otherwise the ASUS PG27UQ or the Acer Predator X27 wouldn't exist. I was able to get a HDR signal from my PC to my Samsung CHG70 at 1440p 144Hz.

a video card hdmi can only do 4k hdr 60htz 444 8bit. you have to drop either to 422 or 30htz to get 10bit. its all because of 2.0 bandwith till 2.1 becomes normal

oh and thats 1440p 144htz...4k takes a lot more bandwith

3 minutes ago, BenTan said:

On displayport you can, but not on HDMI.

DP is a generation ahead.

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, circeseye said:

a video card hdmi can only do 4k hdr 60htz 444 8bit. you have to drop either to 422 or 30htz to get 10bit. its all because of 2.0 bandwith till 2.1 becomes normal

Can I still drop down to 4:2:0 10 bit to get 4K, 60Hz, HDR? I found this table on another forum:

image.png.1c6781b561b9a3dddff75e8f8a5bf1e7.png

If you want a shitty image quality in theory yes, the graphics drivers typically don't support that though... better to drop resolution at this point.

Also I doubt chroma subsampling is even a thing with HDR, no point increasing the color fidelity if you're going to throw away 3/4 of the color data.

F@H

GPD Win 2

40 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If you want a shitty image quality in theory yes, the graphics drivers typically don't support that though... better to drop resolution at this point.

Also I doubt chroma subsampling is even a thing with HDR, no point increasing the color fidelity if you're going to throw away 3/4 of the color data.

Pretty sure consoles like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X pass a 4K, 60Hz signal with a chroma subsampling of 4:2:0 and have shown pretty good results with HDR in games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone.

F@H

GPD Win 2

16 hours ago, circeseye said:

um glenwing you did read he needs to run a "30m" hdmi cable right? NO normal premium high speed cable will have a stable run at 4k hdr. it need to either be boosted, or optical hdmi, or hdmi to ethernet
and like they have said a video card hdmi can only do 4k hdr 60htz 444 8bit. you have to drop either to 422 or 30htz to get 10bit

Assuming I decide to go with a 30m HDMI cable? What would my best option be? I'm seeing different types of HDMI cables like 'amplified', 'fibre-optic', etc.

17 hours ago, circeseye said:

I did not miss it.

Any 30 m Premium High Speed certified cable will work just fine at 4K 60 Hz 8 bpc RGB, almost by definition. If it had issues, then it would not have been able to pass the certification. That is the whole point of the certification.

Yes, it is very likely any 30 m cable with a Premium High Speed certification will be using amplifiers in order to accomplish this.

7 hours ago, BenTan said:

Assuming I decide to go with a 30m HDMI cable? What would my best option be? I'm seeing different types of HDMI cables like 'amplified', 'fibre-optic', etc.

its a little pricey but others have used fiber optic hdmi with really good success at long distances

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to you all!

I am in a similar situation where I wish to use my PC from my LG TV in my leaving room. Thus, I bought a Fiber Optic HDMI cable of 15m which you can see here.

Here comes my troubling. When I use this cable with any of my two laptops (both using Intel graphics and HDMI 1.4) and my TV, everything works fine and I get a 4K @ 29Hz. Now, I recently built a desktop PC which carries an Nvidia 2060 super (this specific model) with an HDMI 2.0b port.

No matter the changes I tried on the Nvidia control panel, I still haven't managed to get a signal to my TV.

For what it worth, the same holds with other two monitors in my home. I can get a stable signal from the two laptops but not from my desktop.

I should also mention through, that using a different and sorter HDMI cable, all my monitors and the TV are working flawlessly with my desktop.

This indicates that Nvidia has troubles sending the proper signal through the cable. However, as I mentioned, I have spend many hours trying different settings from the Nvidia panel without any success. Maybe some of you have a better idea for what is going on. Could it be that the specific graphics card and the HDMI cable are not compatible?

In any case, any ideas on a different solution? Could an HDMI repeater like this help?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, Axistos said:

Hello to you all!

I am in a similar situation where I wish to use my PC from my LG TV in my leaving room. Thus, I bought a Fiber Optic HDMI cable of 15m which you can see here.

Here comes my troubling. When I use this cable with any of my two laptops (both using Intel graphics and HDMI 1.4) and my TV, everything works fine and I get a 4K @ 29Hz. Now, I recently built a desktop PC which carries an Nvidia 2060 super (this specific model) with an HDMI 2.0b port.

No matter the changes I tried on the Nvidia control panel, I still haven't managed to get a signal to my TV.

For what it worth, the same holds with other two monitors in my home. I can get a stable signal from the two laptops but not from my desktop.

I should also mention through, that using a different and sorter HDMI cable, all my monitors and the TV are working flawlessly with my desktop.

This indicates that Nvidia has troubles sending the proper signal through the cable. However, as I mentioned, I have spend many hours trying different settings from the Nvidia panel without any success. Maybe some of you have a better idea for what is going on. Could it be that the specific graphics card and the HDMI cable are not compatible?

In any case, any ideas on a different solution? Could an HDMI repeater like this help?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for chiming in. Have you considered trying a different Fibre optic HDMI cable to confirm that it's an issue with Nvidia cards? Have you also tried playing around with the Nvidia color settings by changing the colour format from RGB to YCbCr?

I recently tried connecting a 10m HDMI cable which I had on hand and had no issues displaying the cable. I have yet to purchase a Fibre optic HDMI cable though.