300$ for a Headphone Setup, What should I buy?

IAMABOSS
Go to solution Solved by IAMABOSS,
On 12/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, rice guru said:

I would wait for a refresh on the modi. to me it suffers from the same issue the older schiit products suffer form it's just not as clean sounding has a little bit of grain compared to cheaper options or similarly priced options like the topping d10, d30 or the khadas tone board. 

Yea probably going to be a while till I buy anything else headphone related, I went a little spend happy this time around, picked up the HD8 DJ's and the 58X's (bass cans for everywhere and all rounder cans for my desk), also just got a Magni 3+ over the Hersey, the 3+ supposedly has a warmer, more fun sound to it, while the Hersey is just a little better on paper. At the end of the day, I would be perfectly content with the HD8 DJ's, I got them for 150$ with free one day shipping from B&H, so it was stupid not to buy them and flip my M50x's. Also ended up getting the 58X's for 115$ and they have already shipped, this decade is going out with some deals it seems! 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, food158 said:

I just want to note that, in my experience, the 6xx is not hard to drive at all.

From everything I have read, they really come alive with a proper amp, which is no problem, but as a bass head, they just seemed a little to analytical and flat to me based on all the reviews I have watched and read. The 58X's have the same drivers as the HD 660's that go for around 400$ with only a piece of foam between the back grill and the driver itself. So take that foam out and boom you have 400$ pair of headphones. I probably will leave the foam in to increase the bass response tho. 

I am coming from my old trusty ATH M50X's that have been working tirelessly for years now, but there are falling apart on the headband and already have the earpads replaced, I do not want to spend any money fixing them up anymore. 

I have owned the M40X's and sold them, there bass was just very lacking without a very heavy EQ for my tastes, I think I may be a Basshead, considering the 12 inch ported Sub in my car (Rockford Fosgate Punch P2)

Before you say: just get the HD 6XX, I have made a Google sheet with all the options I am considering (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pQ5WM9xxiQrcdjAfqDF4xaUraZkZWyCOGU9vVBkV-3Y/edit?usp=sharing)

I have never owned open back headphones and have no way to try them where I live without driving Hours into a larger city, so I have been wanting to try some for years now that I live somewhere I can have sound leakage. 

Coming from a Bassheads perspective, I am worried that the 6XX might be to flat and analytical for me and I will hate them, but I have never tried them, if so many people say there the gold standard for headphones then the bass cannot suck that bad. I have read that the HD 58X have a more fun sound, and they are cheaper, so that might be a good option. I travel to my family's home quite frequently, so anything non portable will be staying with my PC setup and I will continue using my M50X's when on the move, which is fine.

About Amp/Dac: for the 6XX, I will probably need an amp, and would like one with hardware EQ (like a bass boost), so I found the Fiio K3, but IDK if it has the juice to power the HD 6XX, and there is no future upgradeability with it. But I does have USB C, which is great (USB C everything cannot come soon enough)

Then there is just getting a Schiit Magni 3, and running my PC's built in DAC, which is fine. Future expansion, Great build and Quality, with more than enough power to run anything I can afford. 

Also an option is moving to Planer Magnetic headphones, which I have read offer great bass, and the Hifiman HE400I/4XX have massive earpads and look stupid comfortable, and they are under budget, which is great. 

Then there is the HD8 DJ, which IDK if are even being made anymore, they are not even listed on Sennheiser's website anymore, but B&H has them for 199$. they are going to have amazing bass, sound isolation, easy to drive, great metal build quality, and nice carrying case for when I travel, (quite frequently), but they seem like just another pair of M50X's that are a little bit better, but when I bought my M50X's years ago, I wanted these (too expensive then), and if I don't get them now, I may never be able to even try them. 

Beyerdynamic Custom Game are just thrown in to compete with the HD8 DJ. they are easy to drive, have a physical bass slider (open it up for rap music, close it down for everything else) and have a better Mic system than my Mod Mic with only one cable needing to be run to my PC.

So the Question is, what headphones would be best for a basshead, they will be used for music (rock, rap, and everything else in between) Gaming with a Mod Mic that I already own, and mostly just watching Movies and Youtube. That can be used for the next 3-5 years with no more money spent on them. Is there anything is my budget that I have not listed that would be better? I have 300$ total, so enough for HD 6XX and a Magni 3+/Fiio K3 which is what I am currently leaning towards. 

Coming from someone who settled on the HD650 years ago and might also be considered a bass head..... Get the 6XX ? 

I've tried them on many sources and find them plenty easy to run (volume wise) with just about anything. Fancy DACs/Amps aren't as neccessary as the audiophiles will have you believe. Nice to have if you got the money to toss around? Sure.

For travel, I use the Sony WH-1000XM3 which is similarly dark sounding. There are deals you can find to get it within your budget if bluetooth suits your needs.

If you want to dream a little (out of budget), a closed back non-powered option is the Shure 1540. 

4 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

Coming from someone who settled on the HD650 years ago and might also be considered a bass head..... Get the 6XX ?

Alright, now I am leaning on just getting them and being done with this. 

That leaves me with about 100$ I have set aside for an Amp if I so desire. I might just snag the Fiio K3 and if I think it and the bass boost is unnecessary I can return it.  I am not to bothered by a non perfect Amp, just something I have read does make a bit of a difference with high impedance cans.

8 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

If you want to dream a little (out of budget), a closed back non-powered option is the Shure 1540

Those Ear Cups look like clouds for my ears, thanks, now I am contemplating spending far to much money lol. 

If you like bass the 6xx isn't the greatest option for bassy closed backs something like the he 4xx or the Fidelio x2 , dt 990,dt880 would be probably more up your alley.

11 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If you like bass the 6xx isn't the greatest option

for bassy closed backs something like the he 4xx or the Fidelio x2 , dt 990,dt880 would be probably more up your alley.

Personally I find the treble spikes in your recommandations to be a nuisance. The 5-10db over the HD650 makes them more of a V-curve than a bass boost, imo. I admit my ears are treble-sensitive.

FR Graph:

Spoiler

239405589_2019-12-2814_36_24-Window.thumb.jpg.77f7931b083f62fa2c7e296ad06c4175.jpg

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If you like bass the 6xx isn't the greatest option for bassy closed backs something like the he 4xx or the Fidelio x2 , dt 990,dt880 would be probably more up your alley.

The non detachable cable on the Beyer's really kill the deal for me, I have broken 6 sets of expensive earbuds back in the day due to a non removable cables. I feel like I will roll over the cable with headphones under my desk chair and break them in a few years. But I will research them further, Thanks for the suggestions!

6 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

Personally I find the treble spikes in your recommandations to be a nuisance. The 5-10db over the HD650 makes them more of a V-curve than a bass boost, imo. I admit my ears are treble-sensitive.

I don't like spiky treble either imo, but I have read that the M50x's have some over blown treble too and I have never noticed it. My brother's car has some aftermarket tweeters and I cannot stand them, to much treble even tho they are very high end speakers. That graph shows the Fidelios have some good bass, but I think the EQ on the Fiio K3 could make the 6XX perfect. 

10 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

I don't like spiky treble either imo, but I have read that the M50x's have some over blown treble too and I have never noticed it. 

Oh, should have included the M50 for you in the graph. Here you go:

Spoiler

996479312_2019-12-2815_00_35-Window.thumb.jpg.6cd8cababbd925a6ad339dc9f3a13f99.jpg

1 hour ago, IAMABOSS said:

The non detachable cable on the Beyer's really kill the deal for me, I have broken 6 sets of expensive earbuds back in the day due to a non removable cables. I feel like I will roll over the cable with headphones under my desk chair and break them in a few years. But I will research them further, Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't like spiky treble either imo, but I have read that the M50x's have some over blown treble too and I have never noticed it. My brother's car has some aftermarket tweeters and I cannot stand them, to much treble even tho they are very high end speakers. That graph shows the Fidelios have some good bass, but I think the EQ on the Fiio K3 could make the 6XX perfect. 

Personally the if you want bass on the 6 series the 58x is a much better route to go for especially if your going with the fiio k3. 

2 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Oh, should have included the M50 for you in the graph. Here you go

Ok, thats interesting, the M50 have a lot more bass than the 6XX, but the 6XX has a bump in the mid range and highs, How well do the 6XX's take a bass EQ? if only I could try them somewhere, that would make this so much easier. 

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

Personally the if you want bass on the 6 series the 58x is a much better route to go for especially if your going with the fiio k3.

I have been doing a bit more research on the 58X's, they do seem really nice, a bit cheaper and more fun with most of the quality of the 6XX, and they are on sale for 115$ when you make a new account on Massdrop. 

refer over the 6xx, it's also much better for gaming and if you like bass is the pick out of the 2. the 650's are much harder to drive and doubt the k3 can really push them / will probably get loud but not deafening. Im also a little bit of a bass head myself and if bass is what Im looking for.. I woiuld be dissapointed with the 6xx.  this is coming from a guy that is seriously consideringa 6xx right now. for a different purpose. 

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

refer over the 6xx, it's also much better for gaming and if you like bass is the pick out of the 2. the 650's are much harder to drive and doubt the k3 can really push them / will probably get loud but not deafening. Im also a little bit of a bass head myself and if bass is what Im looking for.. I woiuld be dissapointed with the 6xx.

Alright, I am still deciding on 6XX vs 58X, if I go 6XX I will pair it with a Schiit Magni 3+/Hersey instead of the K3 because I don't think the K3 can run em. But with the 58X I might just see what onboard audio can do before wasting money on an amp.

I am going to do a lot more research into Planer Magnetic stuff, I have read great things about the bass on those. I really like stupid tight punchy bass, probably more than I should, heck I should just go get a pair of crazy bass headphones and then get a nice normal pair like the 6XX/58X, just limited on funding rn, but there are some dope deals on massdrop at the moment for the 6XX/58X so I need to make a decision soon before the deals are gone and I could not afford the 6XX even if I wanted them.

Just now, IAMABOSS said:

Alright, I am still deciding on 6XX vs 58X, if I go 6XX I will pair it with a Schiit Magni 3+/Hersey instead of the K3 because I don't think the K3 can run em. But with the 58X I might just see what onboard audio can do before wasting money on an amp.

I am going to do a lot more research into Planer Magnetic stuff, I have read great things about the bass on those. I really like stupid tight punchy bass, probably more than I should, heck I should just go get a pair of crazy bass headphones and then get a nice normal pair like the 6XX/58X, just limited on funding rn, but there are some dope deals on massdrop at the moment for the 6XX/58X so I need to make a decision soon before the deals are gone and I could not afford the 6XX even if I wanted them.

welp the 4xx and 400i are pretty cheap these days especially on the 4xx., and if you really want to drop some cash the blon b20, sendy aiva and audeze lcd1 are places to look out for. the magni and heresy are excellent I would personally hold out on the modi right nowadays there might be a new modi soon adn there are new dacs that are on the way or even cheaper dacs that are just straight up better. 

For the headphones if you want open back I would go with the Sennheiser HD 58X or for closed back the AKG 371.

As for the amplifier, I would recommend the Schiit Magni Heresy. But, if you the Magni Heresy with the ModMic then you would have to split the two cables. The headphone cable would be going to your amplifier and the microphone cable into the PC. Depending on far apart those two are, it might be an annoyance. If you want to keep the headphone and microphone cable together then I would look at buying the Schiit Fulla 3 or the Schiit Hel if you think you want more features and power.

If you are going with the 58x and want something better than the k3 the fiio k5 pro is excellent

6 hours ago, Wyllio said:

For the headphones if you want open back I would go with the Sennheiser HD 58X or for closed back the AKG 371.

As for the amplifier, I would recommend the Schiit Magni Heresy. But, if you the Magni Heresy with the ModMic then you would have to split the two cables. The headphone cable would be going to your amplifier and the microphone cable into the PC. Depending on far apart those two are, it might be an annoyance. If you want to keep the headphone and microphone cable together then I would look at buying the Schiit Fulla 3 or the Schiit Hel if you think you want more features and power.

I think I am going to end up with the 58X's, I have a 20$ Massdrop credit to use on them and at 120$ they are a great value. As for the amp I am still researching it, I am strongly considering the Massdrop O2 amp (no dac) for 80$ or the Schiit Hersey (more $$$, but nicer looking). The Fiio K3 is a great amp but without balanced cables for the 58X/6XX it does not have enough power, with the cables its a different story tho, no point in buying expensive cables instead of just getting the 6XX and a more powerful amp to begin with.

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

If you are going with the 58x and want something better than the k3 the fiio k5 pro is excellent

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into the K5 pro.

3 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

I think I am going to end up with the 58X's, I have a 20$ Massdrop credit to use on them and at 120$ they are a great value. As for the amp I am still researching it, I am strongly considering the Massdrop O2 amp (no dac) for 80$ or the Schiit Hersey (more $$$, but nicer looking). The Fiio K3 is a great amp but without balanced cables for the 58X/6XX it does not have enough power, with the cables its a different story tho, no point in buying expensive cables instead of just getting the 6XX and a more powerful amp to begin with.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into the K5 pro.

The heresy is a much better sounding ampthan the 02 imo worth the extra cash. Aside from that the k5 pro is a great way to start off

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

The heresy is a much better sounding ampthan the 02 imo worth the extra cash. Aside from that the k5 pro is a great way to start off

Alright, I was being very tempted with the 80$ price tag on the O2, but I think the Hersery will be better in the long run, lots of power and room for future expansion, I just wish it was all black or silver instead of red.

1 minute ago, IAMABOSS said:

Alright, I was being very tempted with the 80$ price tag on the O2, but I think the Hersery will be better in the long run, lots of power and room for future expansion, I just wish it was all black or silver instead of red.

yeha I hate the color of it too. the 3+ is supposed to be just as good just not as linear as the heresy and aims of a more dynamic sound. 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

yeha I hate the color of it too. the 3+ is supposed to be just as good just not as linear as the heresy and aims of a more dynamic sound

They gotta make everything all gamer-y now days, might as well just slap some RGB on it lol, I am gona look at some comprisons between the 2 and just buy one, but first, I am gona get my order of 58X's in.

Just now, IAMABOSS said:

They gotta make everything all gamer-y now days, might as well just slap some RGB on it lol, I am gona look at some comprisons between the 2 and just buy one, but first, I am gona get my order of 58X's in.

lol just take your time and dont feel like you gotta drop the cash so soon. the 58x is pretty damn efficient and you can get away with just your pc anyway. the heresy and the 3+ are both really know and not many reviews are out for them yet, 

24 minutes ago, rice guru said:

lol just take your time and dont feel like you gotta drop the cash so soon. the 58x is pretty damn efficient and you can get away with just your pc anyway. the heresy and the 3+ are both really know and not many reviews are out for them yet, 

Yup, I really can't find very much differences between them, if the Hersey is better, I am going to buy it, If it don't matter, then I want the plan looking silver 3+, at the end of the day I don't think they really matters much for my use case until I start stacking other schiit products (I want the Loki, and the Modi, but thats for the future) I just want them to match when I do go for them.

48 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Yup, I really can't find very much differences between them, if the Hersey is better, I am going to buy it, If it don't matter, then I want the plan looking silver 3+, at the end of the day I don't think they really matters much for my use case until I start stacking other schiit products (I want the Loki, and the Modi, but thats for the future) I just want them to match when I do go for them.

I would wait for a refresh on the modi. to me it suffers from the same issue the older schiit products suffer form it's just not as clean sounding has a little bit of grain compared to cheaper options or similarly priced options like the topping d10, d30 or the khadas tone board. 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, rice guru said:

Yea probably going to be a while till I buy anything else headphone related, I went a little spend happy this time around, picked up the HD8 DJ's and the 58X's (bass cans for everywhere and all rounder cans for my desk), also just got a Magni 3+ over the Hersey, the 3+ supposedly has a warmer, more fun sound to it, while the Hersey is just a little better on paper. At the end of the day, I would be perfectly content with the HD8 DJ's, I got them for 150$ with free one day shipping from B&H, so it was stupid not to buy them and flip my M50x's. Also ended up getting the 58X's for 115$ and they have already shipped, this decade is going out with some deals it seems! 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, food158 said:

I just want to note that, in my experience, the 6xx is not hard to drive at all.

From everything I have read, they really come alive with a proper amp, which is no problem, but as a bass head, they just seemed a little to analytical and flat to me based on all the reviews I have watched and read. The 58X's have the same drivers as the HD 660's that go for around 400$ with only a piece of foam between the back grill and the driver itself. So take that foam out and boom you have 400$ pair of headphones. I probably will leave the foam in to increase the bass response tho.