Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
williamcll

5000 Dollar Apple arcade machine - E-sport oriented Mac rumored for 2020 release

But a laptop GPU can still be very competitive with the right cooling etc. 

Heck PS3 in theory didn't even need a GPU at all,  just throw in a second CELL! 

Would have loved seeing that personally.  

RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Those are CPUs.  I mean they use laptop GPUs and laptop cooling solutions.  They’re big big laptops to be sure.  Of a sort rarely made anymore.  Still laptops though.  The laptop GPUs are the thing that really kills it for me.  CPU increases don’t help me.  I’ve got an old haswell 4/8 that remains sufficient for my purpose for the time being at least so far.  CPU is not the issue.  Big GPUs produce big wattage and need big cooling.  They can’t do big cooling with the laptop systems they got.  They’re putting in big CPUs because they don’t allow overclocking and a big stock xenon still only tosses a bit over 100w of heat.  They need to be able to do double that or more for even one good quality desktop level GPU.

We’ll agree to disagree then.

For sure they’re not expandable like a mid-tower desktop (and that’s why desktop mac aficionados have been begging Apple for ages for a 2k-3k$ “xMac” to be more than a MacMini but less than a MacPro), but at the same time characterizing them as glorified laptops isn’t right either, more plain wrong if the CPUs are desktop parts and they don’t throttle and the machine is quiet, same for the GPUs (you sure a Vega 64X 16GB HBM2 is a mobile part?), if it works it works, sure you only get one (internal) GPU and not 2-3-4, but you should refrain from calling a perfectly working sum of properly cooled desktop parts “basically a laptop”. If we look at the iMac Pro and we imagine that cooling system trickling down to non-Pro iMacs in 2020 (they’re the last Macs left without the T2 chip, a complete back-to-the-drawing-board motherboard revamp is overdue), that statement is very far from the truth. 

The whole rumor could actually be about new shiny iMacs and somehow be twisted to be about gaming along the way just because one particular config could be suitable for gaming..

The vega64 is a desktop class card architecture.  If it was running at full clock and producing it’s frightening amounts of wattage it would be a desktop class card. Even the 580x 8gb is a desktop class architecture, technically.  
the issue is what clock and wattage are they being run at?

Even the Vega56 was put in laptops. Last I looked seriously for a Mac the only available GPUs for AIO macs were literally actual laptop GPUs. This does appear to be something of a change, but it doesn’t change the fundamental aspect that they are basically laptop designs.  The ones with big cards are really really expensive because they’re pro cards, though all that means is they have unlocked bits and use different drivers, but ignoring that, look a at pic the internals of the Mac Pro.  It’s a laptop.  The board would fit in one.  It’s designed like one.  A big laptop to be sure, and one that draws a lot of power, but those have been made.  The cooling is minimal, and done in laptop fashion, everything is monolithic, it costs like a similarly equipped laptop.  The only thing keeping it from actually being one is the screen size and form factor.  The major functional difference between a laptop and a desktop is cooling capacity.  A laptop CPU is basically the same CPU as in a desktop.  The GPUs are frequently bit different in that they tend to have little to with the names given to them.  Their architectures are often totally different, but the CPUs are basically the same architecture.  It is just designed for a lower cooling envelope.  If the AIO macs were capable of desktop cooling, rather than desktop replacement laptop cooling things would be different.  It really wouldn’t take much.  If the cooling fin/fan stack on an iMAC pro were say randomly twice the size it is, which would require only slight changes to thickness, it would be able to do what a similarly equipped desktop could do.  And do it with a better OS.  Why do people like the 16” MacBook better?  It’s got better cooling.  A better keyboard too, but it’s not desperately cooling starved.

This graphite sheet cooling thing (which I kinda doubt will hold up in real life, though it just might) is I suspect terrifying, because it makes for more cooling which translates directly into more power.  A laptop is a cooling starved desktop.  This is why I think the Mac Pro has more potential than ATX.  It’s got better max GPU cooling capacity.  It will always be able to run a given GPU architecture faster than an atx system because it’s got more cooling and can clock it higher.  I’m a bit worried about how they integrated their power system.  Doing it that way put a limit on how many watts they can put in.  It’s still more than atx can put out right now, but atx doesn’t have limited power input, just heat output.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

The whole rumor could actually be about new shiny iMacs and somehow be twisted to be about gaming along the way just because one particular config could be suitable for gaming..

Yes apple is overdue (as they commonly are) to re-fresh the iMacs. 

i would expect an iMac with a little bit of apple magic if they wanted to target gaming:

* Very high refresh rate and low latency 5k HDR display (or 4k HDR but the screen would be a little smaller apple are very particular about pixels per inch)

* Extremely low input latency. (for developer that use some api they provide, this is the area were apple can easily excel)

* A truck load of developer resources to optimise games for the mac (think of a console, and in comparison to windows machines how few diffrent  models of macs there are apple could, if they wanted, pay out studios to focus effort to optimise for mac.)
* outstanding audio, just take a look at the quality of the sound system in the new 16" MBP with a full iMac sized device those engineers will produce something outstanding. (I know gamers prefer headphones but i would expect with the quality of these speakers, and some apis, gamers might prefer dolby atmos for their games, its a very apple think to do)

the interesting thing here is i feel for apple all of these things are base model specs, unlike other device makers apple don't charge you more for an option with a better screen, or an upgraded speakers so if they do this the base model iMac will be this machine. (you might want to pay for the gpu upgrade but for eSports you might not even need to depending on how much effort apple puts into pushing the game studios to optimise) 

I think we all are aware of the problems that Apple would have in gamers taking their rigs seriously, but Apple has done fairly well creating and/or filling niche markets so far. 

I can see a POTENTIAL area where they could really become attractive in making a very specific use-case all-in-one desktop. We know the common things that a gaming rig needs: decent cpu, killer GPU, enough RAM, storage isn't AS important but maybe they could reduce loading times (most people don't care about the minuscule advantage possible in this), wired internet connection, etc. . . But, there are things that people take into special consideration when planning a build for gaming AND streaming, and I could see Apple filling this space. Upgrade the CPU with more cores to handle the streaming tasks, ultra-quiet fan and cooling operation, put on some great built-in lighting for the streamer's face with a built-in high-quality webcam with some macro keys that dock and undock and you're already on your way to a machine that doesn't exist as of now.

Even gaming laptops that have webcams often have compromises and are so loud it'd be obnoxious on a live stream. Add a stand that works for whatever the streamer would like to do with a high refresh-rate monitor and the all-in-one gaming and streaming computer suddenly looks like a better option than shopping around for lights, webcams, all of the stands for them, etc. I wouldn't even be surprised if there are people who want to start streaming and have plenty of money, but haven't done it because of the bother of getting the appropriate system with all of the extra gear required to start a high-quality version of a gaming stream.

There are clearly software issues as of now, but those could all potentially be solved. If you had the option of buying an all-in-one that had not only the capability of doing all of the gaming, streaming and video-editing that you'd need (for streaming videos which aren't usually so high quality as to overlap with Apple's other creator-content systems), but also had the clean aesthetic of Apple I think it might be attractive to buy an all-in-one that provides the instant ability to go from unboxing to streaming in the time it takes to install a game.

I am not saying Apple will do this specifically, but there are use-cases that could very easily be filled right now. I know of no other all-in-one system that includes things like lights, macro keys, webcam, and an appropriate high-refresh rate and resolution monitor with low input times. Even in the PC world it is possible to buy generic pre-builts with good specs, but unless you go for more expensive custom order companies even the prebuilts rarely come with everything you need. You often end up having to buy a separate monitor too, let alone webcams, lights microphones, etc. You could make an attractive package for gaming and streaming even at $5000.

Honestly, I would LOVE to see LMG make an all-in-one no-compromises gaming and streaming desktop. High refresh rate, low-input 2K monitor, quiet cooling solution, 10gig ethernet connection, lighting for a streamer setup, high-quality webcam, macro keys, convenient peripheral input connections, ballin GPU, custom 3D-printed case and all on an adjustable stand. And, of course, that sweet-sweet RGB goodness. Do that for under $5000, and I'd be dang impressed.

One angle that needs to be addressed would be GPU upgrades. Consoles nowadays can pull off making you buy a whole new .5 “Pro” revision but they don’t cost 2k-5k$. This kind of gamers would expect being able to upgrade the GPU eventually.

Custom “cartridge-like” slot-in modules would be expensive and destined to stay niche and costly. (we’ve seen this happen with MXM modules). I’m imagining an iMac with the same design language of the XDR display, so full constant thickness, squareish and not tapered. Imagine inserting a “mini-MPX module” in that. If ever, this system would be put in place not just for gaming but for many kind of macs and purposes. But I realize it sounds like a stretch.

Thunderbolt eGPUs sounds like the obvious solution. If one looks at the benchmarks like the ones here

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/amd-x399-threadripper-1950x-gc-titan-ridge-radeon-vii32gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-win10-1809-itsage/

on the one hand the performance hit is very real, but on the other hand..it’s doable, if the whole package (like the possible perks imagined in the posts above) offer you something in exchange for the performance hit you have to swallow. 

One better way to use eGPUs on an iMac would be do some “displayport routing magic” like the one we saw on the MacPro motherboard and enable a scenario in which the user would connect not one but two thunderbolt3 cables: one main cable just for full undisturbed pcie3.0 4x communication with the GPU, and one upstream cable to route back the displayport output to the internal screen. Or surprise the world with AMD CPUs + pcie 4.0 + Thunderbolt 4 and just use one 80Gbps-full-duplex cable. 

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

on the one hand the performance hit is very real, but on the other hand..it’s doable, if the whole package (like the possible perks imagined in the posts above) offer you something in exchange for the performance hit you have to swallow. 

The performance hit can also be compensated through api changes. One of the key things that Metal supports compared to other display apis is on gpu render calls. Aka the gpu can self schedule renders this means the Communication between the CPU and GPU is significantly reduces. (ref: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metal/indirect_command_buffers/encoding_indirect_command_buffers_on_the_gpu)  But that would require large changes to game engines to make use of this fully. Macos already supports driving the internal display from an eGPU the bandwidth to driver a high refresh rate display at 5k however would completely saturate the link.

they could fit a single slot card into a iMac shaped as you suggest. But somehow I suspect they would not want that card to have direct IO ports on it. So it would be more of a custom card with a custom connector and heatsink. 

I believe the might take learnings from the macPros cooling system were all the internal components have passive heatsinks and then have one (or two) large slower moving fans to push air through them. 

On 12/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, RorzNZ said:

5k is chump change for a  reliable computer in a business

This is a gaming PC. $5K puts it out of reach to many people, not to mention the bang for the buck probably won't be very good.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

Group Regulated PSUs are bad!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Altec Lansing ACS5/ATH-M40X

Folding at Home rigs

Dell XPS 420 (the better one and my favorite PC):

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers 

Dell XPS 420 (the worse one):

The same but with an old ATi card, 3GB of RAM, a "Core 2 Viiv" (it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600), Windows 10 Pro and 7 Enterprise (along with a Vista Ultamate recovery that won't work) and other hard drives. I also use a diffrent monitor for it and no speakers. The keyboard and mouse are shared with the better one.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Unlocked 256GB+200GB MicroSD Card Aura Glow (slap a skin on it, even with a case!)

Laptop(s):

Acer Spin 15 64GB Chromebook:

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Chicony 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

A bunch of Dell Vostro 1000s

An old Powerbook G3

And an old 17" Macbook Pro Mid-2007

3 hours ago, Kaloob said:

This is a gaming PC. $5K puts it out of reach to many people, not to mention the bang for the buck probably won't be very good.

Probably.  I suspect the theory would be that it would have the same look and logos as a a machine they could afford

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A mATX sized Mac Pro with consumer chipsets starting with an i5 and RX 5600 wouldn't be terrible... Configurable up to an i9-10900K and RX 5700XT (or maybe big Navi?)

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Devices || Macbook Pro 15" (2016); iPad Pro 9.7"; iPhone Xr

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

A mini Mac Pro with consumer chipsets starting with an i5 and RX 5600 wouldn't be terrible... Configurable up to an i9-10900K and RX 5700XT

I’ve got a wish dream for a gaming capable mini, but some did serve as is going to claim that it will “cannibalizes sales of our other products” which really means “we need to make the product worse because making good hardware isn’t what we want to do”

Anyway, the problem the Mac mini has is that while it can run an external GPU in a limited way, it’s still too limited.  A couple of pcie 3 m.2 nvme ports or just one pcie 4 pointing OUT would be enough.  Make an external GPU enclosure with a 200-250w PSU in it and BOOM. Games machine.  The thing would rock.  I’d pick up a Mac mini and an external box and fill it with a gaming card in a hot second.

7 hours ago, Kaloob said:

$5k was the top end price tag, assuming like other machines apple offers a 8TB ssd and maybe 124GB of ram option then thats the $5K option.

That is not an option for gamers, most likely it would be priced the same as the current iMac so starting $2.5k for a machine that includes a very nice high refresh rate 5k display would be a good deal. (i would suspect that is a 500GB internal SSD machine with 16GB or ram) the other $2.5k in price can easly be made up for with the options for large internal SSD.

8 hours ago, hishnash said:

$5k was the top end price tag, assuming like other machines apple offers a 8TB ssd and maybe 124GB of ram option then thats the $5K option.

That is not an option for gamers, most likely it would be priced the same as the current iMac so starting $2.5k for a machine that includes a very nice high refresh rate 5k display would be a good deal. (i would suspect that is a 500GB internal SSD machine with 16GB or ram) the other $2.5k in price can easly be made up for with the options for large internal SSD.

Wouldn't this be a tower? 

$2.5K is more reasonable, though it still puts it out of reach for a lot of people.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Ryzen 5 1600@4.0 GHz (1.35V)|ASRock AB350 Pro 4|Scythe Fuma 2|16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 @2666 MHz (2x8)|WD Black 256 GB NVME SSD|1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD|500GB Segate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD|6 TB of external storage (one 4TB, one 2TB)|ASUS GTX 1060 6GB Turbo|CX650M|Windows 10 Pro|Fractal Design Meshify C dark TG (4 intake 1 exhaust)|Dell SE2417HG|LG25UM58-P Ultrawide OC 75 Hz (At Max Res)|Dell SP2008WFP|Logitech G602|G.Skill KM570MX (Cherry MX Blue)|Altec Lansing ACS5/ATH-M40X

Folding at Home rigs

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz|Dell OTP406 x38 chipset LGA 775|Some THICC Dell cooler|8 GB MemoryTek DDR2 800 RAM|2x WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM 320 GB|Some Optical Drive|NVidia GeForce 8800 GT|Windows 10 Pro|Insignia TV from 2007|Havit HV-KB558CM Keyboard/Mouse combo|Amazon Basics A100 Speakers 

The same but with an old ATi card, 3GB of RAM, a "Core 2 Viiv" (it's a Core 2 Quad Q6600), Windows 10 Pro and 7 Enterprise (along with a Vista Ultamate recovery that won't work) and other hard drives. I also use a diffrent monitor for it and no speakers. The keyboard and mouse are shared with the better one.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ Unlocked 256GB+200GB MicroSD Card Aura Glow (slap a skin on it, even with a case!)

Laptop(s):

Intel Pentium N4200|4GB RAM|64GB SSD|32GB MicroSD card|Intel HD 510|Chicony 3 amp power brick

Dell Latitude D630:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300|4GB DDR2|Mobile Intel 935 Express Chipset|1440x900 display

An old Powerbook G3

11 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Wouldn't this be a tower? 

$2.5K is more reasonable, though it still puts it out of reach for a lot of people.

I think apple would do an All in One, that will let them provide a much better screen feature set. So would include a 5k HDR highframerate display

2 hours ago, hishnash said:

I think apple would do an All in One, that will let them provide a much better screen feature set. So would include a 5k HDR highframerate display

I don't think gamers would appreciate an AIO.

Don't buy an EVGA G3!

It's a Volvo C30 attack!

Desktop(s):

Thunder (main rig):

Folding at Home rigs

Laptop(s):

Dell Latitude D630:

An old Powerbook G3

18 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

I think that will depend on the gamers.

5k 240hz low latency HDR is well beyond the external display cable tec but not beyond what is possible in an AIO. the 5k iMac was 5K well before there were even 4k displays on the market due to being an AIO that could have a supper wide bandwidth connection to a custom timing solution. 

AIO will give apple a platform to lead with their strengths:

* displays
* audio
* extremely low latency wireless communication. 

for some gamers a really nice screen and a really really good audio system (with the $$ power apple can use to get game developers to make use of it) will be more important than a glass RGB case. After all the screen, speakers and input devices are what you use see, feel and hear when playing the game. The glass case is what you post on forums but not really part of the game play.

29 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

It’s an AIO or a laptop. Or most likely nothing at all, of course. I personally would most like to see 8 open pcie lanes on a Mac mini.  They can even sell a proprietary eGPU box for it at a nice markup as long as it’s large enough to hold a gaming card.  I could even see this happening.  One of the deals with the AMD cards is the lines on what makes a pro card and what makes a gaming card aren’t blurred like they are with Nvidia.  If the new Navi21 is a big 5700xt like people seek to be implying and not a vega type card they could build one into an iMac box and boom. Gaming machine that wouldn’t interfere with their arts business.

i could withstand an AIO, but mostly because my good monitor happens to have been rendered useless.  They want to get maximum bang for their buck though and they sell a lot more laptops than they do AIOs so they’d probably go for the bigger market. AIOs were the things they historically made marketshare with so I dunno.  I’ve bought Mac laptops in the past.  I got into macs just as they were leaving AIOs behind and left before they picked em back up again.  I’ve owned several Mac desktops and several Mac laptops but never a Mac AIO

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They can even sell a proprietary eGPU box for it at a nice markup as long as it’s large enough to hold a gaming card. 

how would you expect them to make it proprietary? what would it have compared to a normal Thunderbolt (3/4) one.

2 minutes ago, hishnash said:

how would you expect them to make it proprietary? what would it have compared to a normal Thunderbolt (3/4) one.

Twice the pcie lanes.  The problem atm is the eGPU boxes are connection throttled.  You can put a lower end gaming card in them atm but not a big one. (Well you can, but it’s dumb) There isn’t enough bandwidth

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Twice the pcie lanes.  The problem atm is the eGPU boxes are connection throttled.  You can put a lower end gaming card in them atm but not a big one. (Well you can, but it’s dumb) There isn’t enough bandwidth

Given how TB3 works (on the current intel systems) you would not get much/any benefit by using 2 thunderbolt cables since all the TB3 goes through the chipset and not directly to the CPU.

With the next intel chips i believe it will be direct to the cpu. TB4 (mentioned just now on stage by intel) sounds like PCIe-v4 over TB3 so that will give better bandwidth with a single cable no?

10 minutes ago, hishnash said:

Given how TB3 works (on the current intel systems) you would not get much/any benefit by using 2 thunderbolt cables since all the TB3 goes through the chipset and not directly to the CPU.

With the next intel chips i believe it will be direct to the cpu. TB4 (mentioned just now on stage by intel) sounds like PCIe-v4 over TB3 so that will give better bandwidth with a single cable no?

I don’t know.  I’ve never even heard of an eGPU that uses multiple tb3 cables to begin with.  I don’t know how that would even work.  Did you quote the wrong poster?

Gamers wouldn't want an AIO, a 4k or 5k high refresh rate display would put it out of the price range of most gamers. The people playing e-sports titles at high FPS are using 1080p or 1440p displays, and anyone competitive are more likely using a headset, also a wired connection over wireless because the latency is still lower than wifi.

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Gamers wouldn't want an AIO, a 4k or 5k high refresh rate display would put it out of the price range of most gamers. The people playing e-sports titles at high FPS are using 1080p or 1440p displays, and anyone competitive are more likely using a headset, also a wired connection over wireless because the latency is still lower than wifi.

iMac 5k starts at $2.5K (and has been out for a long time) so a high refresh version would start at that price as well. 

It’s already been said but to reiterate

THUNDERBOLT 4 CONFIRMED TO EXIST

WHOO-HOOOO

so now (or better next year) we have external pcie4.0 4X or roughly pcie3.0 8x or roughly pcie2.0 16x

80Gbps 

enough for pcie+displayport_upstream over a single cable 

using DSC, displayport 8K 60Hz is 32Gbps

that would still leave 48Gbps on the table just for the eGPU pcie connection

even more if we talk 5K 60Hz or 4K 60Hz