Specs Question

Nano Adam

Are these specs good for Freenas? Running a Windows 10 VM and storage pools. 

image.png.15824ccf1e39129dc5354f7f01a4f624.png

And, what would be my ideal config for the Windows VM, if possible.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

What exactly are you trying to do with the VM?

Run Microsoft Office Suite and browser not much. 

2 minutes ago, ammar_code said:

Run Microsoft Office Suite and browser not much. 

freenas isn't a good hypervisor, id run proxmox, or exsi, or hyper-v if you want to run vms.

Why only one drive, and a small one for a nas?

Wifi won't matter.

Why run office and brower in a vm, id run that on your workstation, not a vm on the server.

This should be merged with your Quick Question thread, theres no reason to have 2 about the same build. 

For VM's, maybe go UnRAID if you want something flexible with good VM support. 

Why would you want to run Storage Spaces inside of a VM? Or are you adding more drives and making them VHD's/passing the disks through?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

4 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

This should be merged with your Quick Question thread, theres no reason to have 2 about the same build. 

For VM's, maybe go UnRAID if you want something flexible with good VM support. 

Why would you want to run Storage Spaces inside of a VM? Or are you adding more drives and making them VHD's/passing the disks through?

Thanks for your help! The decision of how to use the PC will be made by my dad so I was really confused on getting the right specs and all. 

Thanks everyone who helped me! 

If someone can move this to the test section, it will be great!