Bad sectors in HDD question

4klips

I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do have a UPS so it won't shut down suddenly due to a powercut.

My windows boot file is corrupted and it shows that windows not able to diagnose your pc and gave me option to restart or go to advanced menu and still I am not able to fix it. I think I need to reinstall windows.

But still if someone have some knowledge why my HDD is dying so fast and getting bad sectors so quickly? A months ago it had around 150 bad sectors. But my 2nd 500 gb seagate hard drive which is almost 5 years old has no error or any bad sectors.

2 minutes ago, 4klips said:

I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly.

Just simple bad luck.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Just simple bad luck.

Happened twice. 1 was 1 year old and other is 4 months old. 

Just now, 4klips said:

Happened twice. 1 was 1 year old and other is 4 months old. 

And? Sometimes you just have a streak of bad luck. There is no magical rule that says that you can only have bad luck at this-and-that interval.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, 4klips said:

I got a new HDD Seagate Barracuda 1 TB this August 2019. And now I have 2016 bad sectors in it. My previous WD 1 TB HDD which was 1 year old also failed due to bad sectors. I wanted to ask why my new HDDs getting bad sectors so quickly. I shut down my pc properly and I do have a UPS so it won't shut down suddenly due to a powercut.

My windows boot file is corrupted and it shows that windows not able to diagnose your pc and gave me option to restart or go to advanced menu and still I am not able to fix it. I think I need to reinstall windows.

But still if someone have some knowledge why my HDD is dying so fast and getting bad sectors so quickly? A months ago it had around 150 bad sectors. But my 2nd 500 gb seagate hard drive which is almost 5 years old has no error or any bad sectors.

Do you move your PC a lot with these problematic HDDs? Any shakes are detrimental to life of HDD. 

2 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

Do you move your PC a lot with these problematic HDDs? Any shakes are detrimental to life of HDD. 

No its kept on my desk , I barely even touch the chassis except the power button :P

18 minutes ago, 4klips said:

No its kept on my desk , I barely even touch the chassis except the power button :P

Unfortunately you simply just lost the silicon lottery.

Assuming both drives are still under warranty, RMA them ASAP for replacement. A HDD can die at any time - whether brand new or 15 years old. Failure rates are pretty minimal though - with the 1-3% range being somewhat common.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Failure rates are pretty minimal though - with the 1-3% range being somewhat common.

As long as it's above zero, there's always someone who ends up being the exception to the rule. I've been there myself, but with mobos: I bought a mobo, it was broken and I did an RMA on it. Well, the next one was broken in the exact same way and I did RMA. And the third one as well! Only the fourth one was fine! Talk about a streak of bad luck! ?

Just now, WereCatf said:

As long as it's above zero, there's always someone who ends up being the exception to the rule. I've been there myself, but with mobos: I bought a mobo, it was broken and I did an RMA on it. Well, the next one was broken in the exact same way and I did RMA. And the third one as well! Only the fourth one was fine! Talk about a streak of bad luck! ?

Yeah statistics doesn't always play out nice like that :P

Some people will get a bad experience and just assume the company is shit - when in fact, they're just REALLY unlucky... I hope you bought a lotto ticket after that!

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Buy Western Digital instead of Seagate, problem solved. I've had SO many Seagate drives go bad on me in quick sucession. Had no problem with Western Digital so far.

Strange i had western digital and seagate drives, and the WD failed more often. That's pretty anecdotal evidence, especially since there are different HDD in the companies offering varying in quality. Enterprise/server grade vs normal hdd are pretty much like comparing ferrari to a KIA. 

25 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Buy Western Digital instead of Seagate, problem solved. I've had SO many Seagate drives go bad on me in quick sucession. Had no problem with Western Digital so far.

This is anecdotal at best - personally I quite like WDC as a company and prefer their products, but Seagate HDD's are just as reliable as WDC ones, overall.

I've had both Seagate and WDC and Hitachi (and more) drives go bad on me. In fact, my first bad drive was a WDC Green 2TB - my next dead drive was a Hitachi.

While we on this topic, i have 1TB HDD made by Western Digital 5400rpm. for a while now. And i noticed while playing games which is installed on this drive, sometimes games freezes for about 1-2sec and continues to run just fine. So i found app called HDDscan, and checked this drive. results are this: ⚠️ 199 UltraDMA CRC Errors 200 200 0000000000-0007 000 . And i don't really now what it means. Should i look to buy new drive or is it fixible? Thanks :)

44 minutes ago, Anngeluss said:

While we on this topic, i have 1TB HDD made by Western Digital 5400rpm. for a while now. And i noticed while playing games which is installed on this drive, sometimes games freezes for about 1-2sec and continues to run just fine. So i found app called HDDscan, and checked this drive. results are this: ⚠️ 199 UltraDMA CRC Errors 200 200 0000000000-0007 000 . And i don't really now what it means. Should i look to buy new drive or is it fixible? Thanks :)

Download and install CrystalDiskInfo and take a screenshot of it reading the SMART data for that drive and post here. 

likely your drive is dying. 

31 minutes ago, Anngeluss said:

I hope this will do. If not i'll take another one.Capture.PNG.95e2a8bc23901cfe43ceb0c52da118aa.PNG

Looks good- I would recommend downloading WD’s official diagnostics software (WD Lifeguard I think) - run a full/long test and see if the defects further problems. Note: it’ll probably take an hour or two at least to run. 

Well i will let it run overnight, and will see what it shows. plus i adding other screen shot of hdd info. But this one shows an error. so i'm not sure which app is lying :D

Capture1.PNG

4 minutes ago, Anngeluss said:

Well i will let it run overnight, and will see what it shows. plus i adding other screen shot of hdd info. But this one shows an error. so i'm not sure which app is lying :D

Capture1.PNG

Actually if you compare them, they’re showing the same info:

CRC error:

value 200

worst 200

threshold 0

HDDScan labeled it as a warning (not an error) and CrystalDiskInfo labeled it as normal. 

I think HDDScan is misinterpreting it, but check the results from the WD diagnostics. 

Ok got that. WD diagnostics runing right now, and it says estimated time remaining: 2h. So it will take to check it. Thanks

ok i'm bakc with test results, and they say it passed. So here is the screen shot. Thanks for the help. I'll consider to buy new hdd.

Capture2.PNG