(Edit: announce Feb11th) Phone wars : the rise of Samsung Galaxy - New Flagship Leaks

williamcll

Rumours of the next generation Samsung Flagship has been floating around for more than three months already, however new leaks has shown that the new phone may receive a rename into the Galaxy S20 instead, much like how Nvidia cards skipped 9 generations worth of models. Additionally, the second generation of the galaxy fold will also rumored to be announced as well. Features include the 108 Megapixel camera, snapdragon 865 and 5G connectivity.

The year is coming to a close and along with the retrospectives and resolutions, the tech industry is preparing to welcome 2020 with a blast at Las Vegas next month. Samsung, of course, won’t if this latest leak is any indication. It prefers to avoid the flood of distractions in the first two months of the year and will sandwich its own unpacked event smack in between CES and MWC. And if the same leak is accurate, it’s going to be quite the event indeed.

Galaxy-S11-onleaks-3-1280x720.jpg

On the one hand, this is nothing completely revolutionary as Samsung has opted to make its big announcements before MWC in late February. This time, however, it might be doing so even earlier than before. According to Israeli site Giraffe’s sources, Samsung’s event will take place on February 11 in San Francisco, giving it an almost two-week head start of all other mobile news at MWC 2020.

It might definitely need that much time to let the public digest what will be dropped on that day. Of course, there’s the Galaxy S11 triplets, or Galaxy S20 depending on who you ask. If it’s the latter, it will be interesting to see how Samsung will spin it as a revolutionary break rather than an evolutionary update.

The Galaxy Fold 2 is also expected to make an appearance, which could steal the spotlight from Samsung’s main flagship. The clamshell-style foldable is rumored to have a glass protective layer on top of the screen instead of fragile but flexible plastic. What price it will cost consumers will also be the biggest question to be answered that day.

There are other expected announcements, like the Galaxy Buds 2. It will be less spectacular than the previous two but could offer just the right improvements that the accessory needs. Suffice it to say, Samsung has a big day planned for fans and watchers on February 11 and, hopefully, it won’t end up flat on its face for soaring so high.

Source:https://www.slashgear.com/galaxy-s11-or-s20-announcement-date-leaked-coming-with-galaxy-fold-2-26604507/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/12/26/samsung-galaxy-s11-design-display-release-date-camera-galaxy-s10-note10-upgrade/#12eca0f01f93

Thoughts: As long as they keep the headphone jack, open bootloader and affordability I might just consider it. If not I am going straight to the ROG phone (3?)

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I will probably wait for Asus ROG Phone 3. Samsung phones are in a state of stagnation since 8th gen.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

The fact that it takes months (if ever) for samsung devices to get upgrades is making me want to stick to iPhone or go Pixel.

I will definitely not buy a phone with a punch hole or anything like it. The curved display is also a nonsense. Why must everyone do this shit. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

How can I plug in my headphones from the 90s without my headphone jack??

3 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

The fact that it takes months (if ever) for samsung devices to get upgrades is making me want to stick to iPhone or go Pixel.

It's part of why I'm an iPhone user.  I don't like the thought of having to wait 4-6 months after Google releases an OS update to get it on my device.  And while I update my phone every couple of years as an enthusiast, I don't like the thought of being forced to replace my phone every couple of years if I want significant OS feature updates.

The unfortunate thing is that even a brand new Pixel 4 has a fairly limited OS shelf life.  Things are a little better on the feature side with promises of Android version updates until October 2022, but still... if you buy an iPhone 11 now, you're probably good until 2024.

1 hour ago, floofer said:

How can I plug in my headphones from the 90s without my headphone jack??

You will have to use a bluetooth to 3.5mm adaptor.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Or just USB-C? Same as how iPhones can use a lightning to headphone adapter...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Personally this doesnt bother me.

I think phone OS are updated way to often. Give me something solid that works great and then leave it alone. Stop changing it up on me for no reason.  

Im screwed once my note 9 bites the dust. I wish they would just re release the note 9 every other year with just updated hardware and everything else the same. Idc how kuch it costs they would have a customer for life.

I havent seen a single new phone that i like.  They take away headphone jacks, sd card readers, and then give us these god awful notches. Id rather they got rid of the selfie cam all together. I cant think of a time where i needed a selfie cam.  

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Personally this doesnt bother me.

I think phone OS are updated way to often. Give me something solid that works great and then leave it alone. Stop changing it up on me for no reason.  

I find it weird people get annoyed when their PC gets constantly updated with new crap they don't need, yet with phones people want to get a new version with a bunch of features they don't need. I'm fine with getting security patches though, which Samsung is pretty good at but I'm not liking how they're taking away features on an expensive flagship phone which should at least have a 3.5mm port.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I will definitely not buy a phone with a punch hole or anything like it. The curved display is also a nonsense. Why must everyone do this shit. 

I don't mind the hole punch as much as I do a notch, the curved display is ok but I'd prefer if Samsung sold a version without it.

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Or just USB-C? Same as how iPhones can use a lightning to headphone adapter...

Most USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapters don't support fast charging though.

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Most USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapters don't support fast charging though.

Probably because it's a headphone jack adapter tbh. 

I've never had good luck charging my phone through the headphone jack adapter, I usually use the charging cable. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

30 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I honestly don't know if this is a joke or a real Android thing. For realsies though a wifi to 3.5" adapter wouldnt be a bad idea since thats pretty much how audio in CarPlay and AA gets transmitted, and it has decent enough quality compared to wired. 

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I gotta say, the S11’s camera assembly is uglier than the iPhone 11 Pro if the rumors turn out to be true. 

Yikes. I'm gonna struggle to keep a straight face seeing that when my customers use Samsung Pay with it. ?

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

50 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't mind the hole punch as much as I do a notch, the curved display is ok but I'd prefer if Samsung sold a version without it.

I mean yeah I can see some may not mind. Thing is, it's a very expensive flagship and it's something that's definitely avoidable yet they decide with it. Also how everyone want to sell you the glory of modern displays but put something that obscures it. To me it's consantly pinging my sight. 

Also ye can't unerstand they stopped with flat panel options either. It's clunky, more prone to damage and image shifts too. Brings nothing good. 

I'm a current user of regular S6 and who k ows what my new phone will be seeing how everyone butchers the display. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

"Ultra thin glass cover"

So what, you're gonna slap the phone shut and die inside when the screen shatters from the pressure? I mean cool and all that we've got glass that bends like that now, but I wonder just how much it can bend.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

20 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

just how much it can bend.

More than an iPhone 6, hopefully?!

"Ultra thin glass cover"

Fake news, mate.  

"Glass" can't "bend" according to... physics, unless it's heated to ~630 degrees. 

I'm super interested to see what the S11 Plus gets for a camera set up this year. Looks like it's going to be quite a beast.

Though, truth be told I am a lot more interested in the Note line. This year I'm actually most interested to see what Apple does. Might finally be the year I make the switch.

...I have a feeling OnePlus will be tempting me with their devices as well though.

#firstworldproblems

17 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I will probably wait for Asus ROG Phone 3. Samsung phones are in a state of stagnation since 8th gen.

That's only two generations ? It's not that bad. This generation has substantial improvements.

17 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I gotta say, the S11’s camera assembly is uglier than the iPhone 11 Pro if the rumors turn out to be true.

I'd like to see how Apple would handle having 6 sensors and an LED array....it'd likely be even worse.

Don't know about you, but I don't stare at the back of my phone that often ;)

17 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I'd rather have something that's a little behind with updates than a phone that's a complete shit show like the Pixel.

17 hours ago, Murasaki said:

these cameras are getting more ridiculous each year

I know, it's amazing.

16 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I love the curved display personally. The side bar you can swipe over is a really nice touch and I use it many, many times a day.

14 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's part of why I'm an iPhone user.  I don't like the thought of having to wait 4-6 months after Google releases an OS update to get it on my device.  And while I update my phone every couple of years as an enthusiast, I don't like the thought of being forced to replace my phone every couple of years if I want significant OS feature updates.

The unfortunate thing is that even a brand new Pixel 4 has a fairly limited OS shelf life.  Things are a little better on the feature side with promises of Android version updates until October 2022, but still... if you buy an iPhone 11 now, you're probably good until 2024.

IIRC that's supposed to change with Android 10, which all new phones will be required to have by a certain date; updates will be pushed through the Playstore.

Either way though, if you upgrade every couple of years why is the fact they don't get support 3 years down the line even a consideration for purchase?

13 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Im screwed once my note 9 bites the dust. I wish they would just re release the note 9 every other year with just updated hardware and everything else the same. Idc how kuch it costs they would have a customer for life.

I havent seen a single new phone that i like.  They take away headphone jacks, sd card readers, and then give us these god awful notches. Id rather they got rid of the selfie cam all together. I cant think of a time where i needed a selfie cam. 

Do you really store more than 512GB of stuff on your phone?

If the hole punch bothers you that much, you only have to last another year before it's gone. So the Note should last you that long easily.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, Man said:

Fake news, mate.  

"Glass" can't "bend" according to... physics, unless it's heated to ~630 degrees. 

Glass fibre can ;)

2 hours ago, Man said:

Fake news, mate.  

Funny, but physics is often challenged. We only "know" something until something else comes along to change that knowledge.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red