Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zassou

WTF is nest? a rant about americentrism in tech and internet in general

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not really. A hard wired doorbell is a two wire low voltage momentary switch that leads to a transformer that has another set of wires that go to a chimer or buzzer.  Only the transformer is wired into house power. They’re actually kind of a PITA.  major reason wireless doorbells have been around for so long.

It's basically a light switch. Wireless doorbells... I've never seen anyone using one. Hardwired doorbells for apartments and hardwired video doorbells for houses are the norm around here.

33 minutes ago, zassou said:

...i know they live in big houses, but not that big..

my current house is 61 m2 in area

61 m² = 657 ft², You're complaining about the Imperial system, but you don't seem to have an adequate understanding of your own (metric). I have to assume you're a single individual living in a densely populated city some where. If you'd care to share where, that might be helpful for others.  

23 minutes ago, zassou said:

you meant those "villa" luxury heating system right? some rich bastards have them too. need massive renevation to install, or to have it when the house is built. anyway they are out of reach for most ppl live in my place.

By your definition, if someone is in a better place than you financially, are they considered a 'rich bastard'? ? Your general outlook on things seem so twisted. 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m going to take use of the word “flat” to mean British isles.  This sort of makes sense.

weird random factoid:

Britain in general has been reported to have some of the most remarkably consistent weather on earth.  Particularly humidity, but temperature as well. So much so that there were car parts that actually worked more poorly or not at all outside of Britain.  British engines developed a fearsome reputation for power and then tempormentality in the 1950s because there were designs that could be used in Britain that simply don’t work well anywhere else.  There’s a LOT more temperature and humidity variance in the US. (or just about anywhere else really) Cold cold winters and HOT hot summers.  Long periods of dry and shorter periods of extreme

damp.

Factoid definition is - an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print. So many people have the wrong idea of what it means, some dictionaries will give both the correct and the wrong definition.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Founders said:

657 ft²,

That's roughly a 24.3x27-foot (656.1) room. Just to kind of throw that out there. Which is roughly the size of a studio apartment in SoCal.

1 hour ago, Founders said:

By your definition, if someone is in a better place than you financially, are they considered a 'rich bastard'? ? Your general outlook on things seem so twisted. 

For real. The animosity in their rants, the refusal to say "feet" (instead saying "lower limb"), calling imperial measurements "stupid units", just sounds like their view of America is already colored with hatred, and they are looking for reasons to justify that hatred.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

18 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Factoid definition is - an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print. So many people have the wrong idea of what it means, some dictionaries will give both the correct and the wrong definition.

Ok.  I’ve also heard the term nickel knowledge used.  Pointless little bit of knowledge I picked up some place of no direct use other than as a quote.  I’ve heard the term factoid as well make up anew one if you want .

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

The average home size of a new American home is 2,600 square feet. You could be too far away to hear a knock. Of course it's not a necessary item, though. My apartment doesn't have one.

Also, heating/cooling is standard in the US. There may be some places in the southern US which don't have heating, but most places have both. I know this is actually kinda different from a lot of other places in the world. I guess America really values comfort.

God how dare we want our homes to be comfortable!
It's just awful to want an escape from the elements!

To not want to have to wallow in horribly humid or hot days or freeze while we wait for the boiler to heat the house again.

I will say, I think American houses have gone super generic for nothing to show for being nearly the same designs copy and pasted and they're way too big.

Personally I want a nice 4-5 bedroom bungalow/cottage with a basement, no upstairs. Central Heating and Air since I feel that I have to explain that desire. I currently live in a humid area and the area I wish to live in seems to have that same issue in the summer. But at least I'll lose these cold ass bi-polar ass winters we get here.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 74% (content loudness 2.7dB)

Everybody wants more than they got and it doesn’t matter how much they got to start with.  I vaguely recall someone tried to figure out what rich meant by comparing actual values.  They failed.  The definition seemed to be about 20% more than those around you.  Whatever that amount was it needed to be 20% more.  Dude lives in a house he considers too small with no heat in December cuddled up next to an electric heater and is feeling miserable.

Not really blaming him.  He seems angry about nests though which is a bit weird.  Things happen though.  I personally wouldn’t put one in my house.  I dislike being monitored.  I’d rather be cold.

Electric heaters are expensive to run.  it’s probably a heck of a lot warmer outside where he is than where I am at the moment... oh there’s one... ever been outside in -40c?  It hurts.  Used to see one of those at least couple of times a year when I was a kid.  For those who think in farenheight -40f and -40c are the same.  It’s where the two scales cross.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't like Nest, but not for the reasons OP stated. First, it's fiddlier than a fiddler crab fiddling with its tax returns. Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to set the damn thing so that the temperature is what I want it to be. I've set a custom temperature range and it routinely heats up well beyond the max that I've set it to. I'm so glad to be moving shortly into an apartment with a "dumb" thermostat that us three-inch-malformed-skull thickie bobos can understand. Second, I'm not keen on "smart home" stuff in general due to privacy reasons.

However, if you don't care about the privacy stuff and can get the damn thing to work to your satisfaction, I can see the appeal as it can save energy and money. I tend to do things manually, though, as I've been burned too many times by automatic systems to trust them.

2 hours ago, zassou said:

...i know they live in big houses, but not that big..

my current house is 61 m2 in area, convert to stupid unit is 646 square lower limb. i do think doorbell is necessary, just not to the level of requiring dedicated alternated current circuit, some doorbell button need coin cells, but not ac wiring...

I live over in the South Eastern Idaho/Northern Utah/South West Wyoming area. Most houses in the area are actually around that 2600sq ft mark. and more recent construction out side of cities is a bit bigger, with city based either apartments or a touch smaller. (my job has me driving and checking power distribution equipment in the area so i see tons of houses)

Edit: Heck most rooms houses I've been in have several bedrooms each with 20' x 20' or bigger, not to mention how the other rooms tend to be bigger.

Edited by Riddler356
added detail

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k | COOLER: Corsair H100i V2 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-E | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Gaming | RAM: Corsair LPX 1x16GB 3Ghz, Corsair RGB 2x8GB 3Ghz | SSD: 890 Evo (500GB), 850 Pro (256GB), Adata SP900 (120GB) | HDD: WD Green (3TB), WD White (8TB) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define S Window Display #1: Asus VE247H, #2: Samsung UE590, #3: LG 50" UK6090PUA | Keyboard: Logitech Gpro  | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: CAD Audio MH210, Logitech z313, Tv Speakers

5 minutes ago, Riddler356 said:

I live over in the South Eastern Idaho/Northern Utah/South West Wyoming area. Most houses in the area are actually around that 2600sq ft mark. and more recent construction out side of cities is a bit bigger, with city based either apartments or a touch smaller. (my job has me driving and checking power distribution equipment in the area so i see tons of houses)

Edit: Heck most rooms houses I've been in have several bedrooms each with 20' x 20' or bigger, not to mention how the other rooms tend to be bigger.

To get that You got to live in Wyoming though.  It’s all what people like I guess.  I grew used to cities.  Here 1000sqf is huge.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

To get that You got to live in Wyoming though.  It’s all what people like I guess.  I grew used to cities.  Here 1000sqf is huge.

well rural Idaho, but houses are going up like that in even places like Idaho Falls, Salt Lake City, Boise Idaho and yes mostly rural which is why they are going up as more and more people move out here from larger cities to get bigger houses while making the same money commuting or working from home. (Me the company pays for my hotels while i work in any given area that is over 1.5hr drive)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k | COOLER: Corsair H100i V2 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-E | GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Gaming | RAM: Corsair LPX 1x16GB 3Ghz, Corsair RGB 2x8GB 3Ghz | SSD: 890 Evo (500GB), 850 Pro (256GB), Adata SP900 (120GB) | HDD: WD Green (3TB), WD White (8TB) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W | Case: Fractal Define S Window Display #1: Asus VE247H, #2: Samsung UE590, #3: LG 50" UK6090PUA | Keyboard: Logitech Gpro  | Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: CAD Audio MH210, Logitech z313, Tv Speakers

It's a bit unreasonable to compare European dwelling sizes to Canadian and American dwelling sizes. In North America, most cities have plenty of space to spread out. In Europe, I'm going to assume that space is at more of a premium. I think it a lot of it boils down to geography and population density.

6 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

It's a bit unreasonable to compare European dwelling sizes to Canadian and American dwelling sizes. In North America, most cities have plenty of space to spread out. In Europe, I'm going to assume that space is at more of a premium. I think it a lot of it boils down to geography and population density.

The EU and the USA are nearly identical when it comes to landmass, with populations of 512m and 327m respectively.  So while it is a factor, it's not actually the main cause.  585ulf2camc01.thumb.png.cc1d44c079648f1cb0ef2f81d60e50ad.png

The bigger difference is centralization!  European cities have a lot of history, a lot of people and incredibly well developed transit networks, so population tends to heavily cluster towards hubs, as opposed to the massive sprawl found in the USA, and to a lesser extent Canada

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Gotta love "I have different opinions on things than other people and that makes them wrong" posts...seriously bud, Americans clearly have a different perspective to technology and household appliances than you do and thus buy different types of products. Someone having a different opinion than you doesn't make them wrong or you right, it just makes them different.

6 hours ago, zassou said:

and this is the americantrism at its worst. people only live in the status quo, that for this moment, maybe their biggest audience is coming fron the us, but as time grow, that will change, and it's sooner than you think. 

with 451M internet users, some 50% greater than the population of us, india has the 2nd highest of web-browsing population after china, which of course we all know they don't exist.

and the economic boom in sub-sahara africa, especially east africa countries, the number is growing faster than people ever imagined.

American companies usually tend to make products with American's as their central consumer of said products, as they're making products that they themselves would want to buy. China and India are both major mobile internet browsing countries, meaning they do so from a cellular phone as they don't have infrastructure/can't afford things like wired utilities such as internet, electricity, etc. It's vastly easier and cheaper to throw up a cell tower than it is to string out cable/fiber/other types of wired internet mediums. So no, I don't think that simply the number of people browsing the internet will change internet commerce that much in the foreseeable future as those consumers don't even have basic infrastructure in large portions of their countries to allow the use of the types of products American companies design.

6 hours ago, zassou said:

where i live in, there is no such thing as home depot, ever. the only place that carries some level of granular of tools is walmart, and they are almost, if not always over priced. and i have trouble locating wooden boards that are not laminates peeled off from some ye olde furnitures.

(im give you one on units of measurement, after all you still can't figure out what a kilometre is)

every time tech outlets like verge science still defending their use of archaic units of measurements, i cant help wondering who is the real archaic ones.

Again, like I said previously, American products are geared towards American levels of infrastructure. Also, I'd simmer down on calling people archaic since you just said your community can barely produce construction quality wood...if that's the case then obviously a smart device like a Nest makes zero sense for you as you don't have the infrastructure capable of supporting said device.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

The EU and the USA are nearly identical when it comes to landmass, with populations of 512m and 327m respectively.  So while it is a factor, it's not actually the main cause.  585ulf2camc01.thumb.png.cc1d44c079648f1cb0ef2f81d60e50ad.png

The bigger difference is centralization!  European cities have a lot of history, a lot of people and incredibly well developed transit networks, so population tends to heavily cluster towards hubs, as opposed to the massive sprawl found in the USA, and to a lesser extent Canada

Yep. In the UK (probably applies to most of Europe, but I'll go with what I'm most familiar with). 90% of the decent and semi-decent jobs are in a handful of big cities, which is where most of us try to live. If you want lots of space you either have to be able to spend deep into seven figures, be willing to live in a borderline war zone, or live with a soul-destroying commute. Though personally I'd rather put up with a small house and live close to where stuff is happening, it's not all about access to work.

double post and idc, it will probably fall into the ocean soon so don't be bothered too much by them, you'll probably feel bad for them in a few years. 

13 hours ago, zassou said:

running folding@home 24h non stop except gaming.

and why tf nier automata still not on sale?

Ah, I see we have a double man of culture here.

"those times will never come back :("

"I wish I could find a way to end the pain, other than the way I keep thinking of"

14 hours ago, zassou said:

and to be clear, i live in an old flat where it has no gas and heating pipelines. i turned my electrical heater almost full whack as outside is -3 degrees and windy af. my pc is running folding@home 24h non stop except gaming.

and i have to carry lpg cylinder on stairs to my home.

and why tf nier automata still not on sale?

Sounds like simple jealousy, when you put it that way.

We have a better system than you, cry more.

Plus Nest can make our amazing systems more efficient.  

Win-win for us.

Not to be a dick, but I know people from Kazakhstan and other poor countries that have immigrated to America just fine.  They all love central air and heating too.  You too can move here and get the goods.  Come on!

6 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Sounds like simple jealousy, when you put it that way.

We have a better system than you, cry more.

Plus Nest can make our amazing systems more efficient.  

Win-win for us.

Not to be a dick, but I know people from Kazakhstan and other poor countries that have immigrated to America just fine.  They all love central air and heating too.  You too can move here and get the goods.  Come on!

It’s a system set up more against cold anyway.  It gets colder so more is needed. .-3c is still positive High 20s in farenheight.  Disturbingly warm in my area for this time of year.  It’s not normal to see anything al all above that in my area through March. I’m expecting temps between -10 and -30c for the next 3-4 months. And I’m in a city in a river valley where things are unusually warm.  Take another 5-10c off that for the rest of the state.  Go a bit west and it’s colder.  Go East and it’s wetter.  Go south and it’s warmer of course.  So buildings are made more heavily because they need to be.  If it never got colder than -3c here I’d be living in the same kind of building.

321370138_ScreenShot2019-12-27at9_08_53AM.png.6b4adc8f13a84ae693421af90a4c39d5.png

Nice.

Back on topic, uhhhh what's really the point of the OP? Reee smart thermostats and my country doesn't have Home Depot? 

X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

Big Rig (Done) - (TV Rig) - i7 5960X - 4.7Ghz/3.7Ghz ~ 1.3v/1.1v core/uncore - 76-78C under RealBench load - Custom Loop: 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4 - 3200MHz CL16 - AMD Radeon VII (best TimeSpy so far: here) - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 - 45" 4K LG TV

X79 Rig (Done) - (Desk Rig)- i7 4930K 4.5GHz ~ some vCore that hasn't exploded yet - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - EVGA GTX 1660 Ti XC Ultra - MX500 1TB - 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

X58 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig) - Xeon X5675 - NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox

whip and nae nae

31 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

321370138_ScreenShot2019-12-27at9_08_53AM.png.6b4adc8f13a84ae693421af90a4c39d5.png

Nice.

Back on topic, uhhhh what's really the point of the OP? Reee smart thermostats and my country doesn't have Home Depot? 

"Wahh I'm angry I don't have a normal air conditioning setup and I use senseless units when it comes to temperatures in relation to humans."

That's about all I understood out of the post, but of course I'm just a dumb American.

image.thumb.png.93f22edaeb54c5358325891809406bd4.png

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Wahh I'm angry I don't have a normal air conditioning setup and I use senseless units when it comes to temperatures in relation to humans."

That's about all I understood out of the post, but of course I'm just a dumb American.

image.thumb.png.93f22edaeb54c5358325891809406bd4.png

I've always been of the thought process that the Metric system was excellent for scientific applications and the like, while the Imperial system was excellent at conveying, well, average measurements into more understandable and realistic measurements that our brain could roughly tell what it's supposed to be. Neither system is objectively inferior, it’s just that they’re both intended for different purposes.

Always irritates me when people act like Americans don't understand the Metric system. A lot of us do. We just choose to not use it in our daily lives because Imperial is better at actually conveying things in a non-scientific manner.

Local asshole and VHS collector. Less than avid Team Fortress 2 player.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

15 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I've always been of the thought process that the Metric system was excellent for scientific applications and the like, while the Imperial system was excellent at conveying, well, average measurements into more understandable and realistic measurements that our brain could roughly tell what it's supposed to be. Neither system is objectively inferior, it’s just that they’re both intended for different purposes.

Always irritates me when people act like Americans don't understand the Metric system. A lot of us do. We just choose to not use it in our daily lives because Imperial is better at actually conveying things in a non-scientific manner.

^^^

Also the cost of converting everything here to metric, when it really doesn't matter, would be such an expensive project that the money could be better spent on I don't know... quality of people's lives??

14 hours ago, zassou said:

why is anyone need a smart device to control their home temprature?

and how and why do they need to control it?

why is central heating and air conditioning so common in america?

an aircon always comes with a remote controller with lcd display, that worked fine; still why would anyone need a fancy colour lcd on a thermostat that suck up electricity just to display things you dont normally get to see?

I have an Ecobee smart thermostat and absolutely love it so I'll try to explain why.

- I can create a schedule of temperature settings. No reason to run the AC when I'm not home.

- The thermostat will automatically switch between heat and AC as necessary to achieve the desired temperature. 

- The thermostat will analyze the schedule along with previous data and current weather data to determine when to activate in order to make it the right temperature at the right time. For example, if its 3:00pm and the temperature is 80F but the schedule has it set to be 70F at 5:00pm the thermostat will calculate the necessary run time and preemptively turn on the AC before 5:00pm so when I get home at 5:00pm it is 70F.

- There are motion sensors so it can detect when I am home and when I am not. With this it will dynamically adjust the schedule. For example, if the schedule has me away for work from 8:00am to 5:00pm it will not run the AC and allow the house to warm up. But if I come home early, the sensors will detect that I am home and turn on the AC so I don't have to sit in a hot house all afternoon.

- In addition to the motion sensors, there are multiple temperature sensors. I have one in my bedroom so at night the thermostat only utilizes the bedroom sensor. The whole house doesn't need to be cooled down, just the bedroom.

- The thermostat creates an extensive data log (see attached). Not only does the thermostat use this data to be more efficient and smarter, I can look at it to understand my own usage and figure out why my electric bill doubled in a given month.

- I can remote connect to the thermostat via the internet. Not as important to me; I rarely do this except when I go on vacation and forget to change the schedule.

Supposedly this thermostat is saving me money too, but I'm honestly more interested in the features that make it work better for me, i.e. make it the temperature I want when I want.

949819079_ScreenShot2019-12-27at7_58_45AM.thumb.png.93d689d676439ece8c7b3ad6127c9fc9.png