Do I need more fans? (The goal is a to get a more silent PC.)

Gomp

I have this case: https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-750D-Airflow-Edition-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011078-WW

Sorry for it being so dirty. Please look away from that fact. ;)

---

I have two 140 mm (filtered,) fans sucking air inn in front. 

One 140 mm blowing air out in the back.

Two 120 mm on the CPU sucking in from 'front', and out of 'back'. As the small yellow arrow indicates.

The GPU is a Titan X. Not sure what directions it blows, but it can only be mounted one way anyways? So irrelevant?

And the PSU has a (filtered,) fan that sucks air in from the bottom and out the back I think. Edit: Never actually herd the fan run. The PSU is ridiciulously over sized.

--- 

Now: There is two spaces for 120 mm fans at the bottom. (Not filtered.) ...

And there is three spaces for 120 mm fans at the top. Or alternatively; it is space for two 140 mm fans .. (Filtered.)

What would you do with the free spaces? 

(I think the setup now has positive preasure. The dust buildup is from when the CPU was watercooled in the past setup with a 3 x radiator at the top.)

And I think I want it to be positive preasure. AKA sucking more air in, than what is blowing out.

Edit: Oh and I think I am changing all fans I can swap out with 'be quiet! Silent Wings 3' fans. So I am open for big changes if they are for the  better. ;)

20191226_233726.jpg

Edited by Gomp

You need Noctua's blessing if you want the silent treatment.

One area I know for sure where a fan won't help is the top right corner.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Unless you're having temperature problems I don't see reason to add more fans.

If you want a quieter PC, change the GPU or the GPU cooler, that blower cooler is probably the loudest part of the system. If after changing the blower it still is too loud, then you would need to see which fans are loud and replace or limit their RPM.

3 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I doubt the case fans would be that loud compared to a blower Titan X, Noctua fans wouldn't do any magic to lower the noise of the GPU.

It does get a bit hot. 

All fans are set to minimum RPM. (Due to the noise.)

I never hear the GPU fan. Only when I am gaming, but then I have sound on masking the sound from fans. 

So the GPU is not an issue here. 

I want it to be more quiet when I use it for browsing etcetera. Or when it just sits idle .. (I probably should have specified this in the OP. Sorry.)

17 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

One area I know for sure where a fan won't help is the top right corner.

The noctura fans are listed with higher dB than the be quiet! fans.

Just now, Gomp said:

The noctura fans are listed with higher dB than the be quite! fans.

You can run them slower which will push more air than the bequiet fans at the same RPM.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

10 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

You can run them slower which will push more air than the bequiet fans at the same RPM.

I see. What noctura fan do you recommend for the case fans? And what for the CPU? 

Also: Should I use static preasure fans on the CPU and airflow fans in the case? Or air flow all around? :D

Edit: Sorry for the language on the page. But is this what I am after? https://www.elkjop.no/product/data/pc-komponenter/vifter-og-avkjoling-til-pc/NFA14PWM/noctua-nf-a14-pwm-forsteklasses-vifte-140-mm

Just now, Gomp said:

I see. What noctura fan do you recommend for the case fans? And what for the CPU? 

Also: Should I use static preasure fans on the CPU and airflow fans in the case? Or air flow all around? :D

The best of the best. A12x25 PWM for 120mm and A14 PWM for 14mm.

A12x25 fans give you the best of both.

Don't be like me and try to save money by going for the Redux models. There's a reason they're Redux and cheap (they have a poor overall noise profile).

Found this online.

"Had Noctua on email support recently and asked them some questions.

Quote:
"Is there going to be a 140mm version of the A12x25?"
=> Currently we're aiming for Q1/2020."

Would you wait with the uppgrade till those come out?

1 minute ago, Gomp said:

Found this online.

"Had Noctua on email support recently and asked them some questions.

Quote:
"Is there going to be a 140mm version of the A12x25?"
=> Currently we're aiming for Q1/2020."

I currently have everything. ?

But yeah why not.

2 hours ago, Gomp said:

The noctura fans are listed with higher dB than the be quiet! fans.

The listed dB isn't a great way to compare between different manufacturers since there's little to no regulation for how they're both measured. The listed specs are also often for max rpm which is unrealistic for most use cases. 

If you want your system to be quieter, first identify which components are too noisy. If you think it's due to fans, you can stop fans with your hands until the noise lowers enough. 

Blower graphics cards take in air at the centrifugal fan and exhaust it out the rear.

img_5b9159b863788.png

If you want positive pressure, just run your intakes at higher rpm than your exhausts.

2 hours ago, Gomp said:

140mm version of the A12x25?"

If they really have a 140mm version and you have the money to blow, I'd recommend waiting. Anything better than NF-A12x25's are probably going to be amazing. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The noise is coming from the three  140 mm case fans. 

And I want all fans to run at same RPM (lowest possible, due to noise,) .. So I would rather achiev that with more fans sucking inn, than fans blowing out. (As the current setup.)

10 hours ago, Gomp said:

The noise is coming from the three  140 mm case fans. 

Is the system quiet enough with the front 140mm's stopped or is it still too noisy? You should identify all components that are too noisy.

Are you running your fans at a static rpm or a curve? What's the minimum rpm?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:17 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Is the system quiet enough with the front 140mm's stopped or is it still too noisy? You should identify all components that are too noisy.

Are you running your fans at a static rpm or a curve? What's the minimum rpm?

All three 140 mm makes the noise. When all three off, there is no noise at all what so ever.. 

I edited the curve thing in bios. They run ay 700 -ish rpm. Sadly cannot turn them down any further. There is another mode. Where theh can only be turned down to 25% but that is way more noisy than using the curve at its minimun.

22 hours ago, Gomp said:

All three 140 mm makes the noise. When all three off, there is no noise at all what so ever.. 

In that case, just replace them with quieter fans like SW3's. The NF-P14S is also a good option if you want something cheaper.