The best way to clean a keyboard is… the DISHWASHER?

ColinLTT

Buy Corsair K70 RGB MK.II
On Amazon(PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Srifhtw
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVYk

Buy Amazonbasics Keyboard
On Amazon(PAID LINK): https://geni.us/IUna

Buy Drawstring Mesh Bags
On Amazon(PAID LINK): https://geni.us/NbpX

Buy Digital Microscopes
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Ak6xD

De8auer cleans his motherboards this way also.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Omg, I didn't realize you were actually an LMG employee/writer last video!

No matter how stupid is sounds, glad to see you in a video again. You have a really good, calm camera presence that  I like.

EDIT: a 'time effort' chart would have been neat to see though. Like, how much time does a dishwasher cycle (or two) takes is clear, but how much time was spent on handwashing? If it's just as much, but it means you are guaranteed to have your warranty and lube intact, plus it means you can clean whatever it filthy the best.. Maybe it does make it worth it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Dishwashers with RGB

Now on LTTStore.com

no way, rgb's should be banned!

5 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

no way, rgb's should be banned!

Pitchforks and torches.....

LTTStore.com :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I clean my keyboard by unscrewing the bottom, removing the circuit board (and anything electronic) followed by using the shower head jets with some warm water to clean everything plastic.

I can also unscrew the shower head and partially block the water hose to create a powerful jet that can go under the keys and clean crap from under keys.

Once done, it's just a matter of natural drying (or using a hair dryer at some distance from the plastic so it won't get too hot) and dry out the plastics, and reassemble everything.

These sort of videos are sometimes ridiculous, but funny, and occasionally practical or atleast hint towards things that could be practical.  Thanks for this.

Just chuck it under the UV light in the lab for an hour nothing will survive 

Why dont u Come the keys in a washing maskine with clothes so the dont break( Remember to Come Them in a bra bag )    

Towards the end of the video was he saying that the corsair keyboard does hold it's warranty even after being machine washed?

1 hour ago, Loell said:

Towards the end of the video was he saying that the corsair keyboard does hold it's warranty even after being machine washed?

No.
He said only one of the methods they used to clean the keyboards (manually cleaning it without water) will not void your warranty. Putting it through the dishwasher will void your warranty.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I guess I should stick to an airbrush instead.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

HI

Nice video , just I want to give some hint and answer for who want to wash with dishwasher their device 

First about me , I work in an industrial laundry , we found a lot of electronic device ,  we are really experimented on what still work after a wash in a machine which can handle 700 lbs of cloth  

The basic rule is , if the device is still powered in the wash process (excluding real waterproof device) , it's sure at 99% the device is dead 

second rule . never power a wet device , it's almost an instant kill 

So in general a cellphone with a completly dead battery , a device with a mecanical power switch set to off  a device lost is battery at the beginning and device  which have no battery will survive to a full submerged wash cycle with soap , bleach and other special soap, and still survive if you dry it correctly before power it 

We found frequently usb key and sd card still working including a 256 MB sd card last month 
Few mp3 player including an ipod classic
Most cellphone we found are completly dead because they shutdown at 5%, the battery is not empty after few day before we wash it , and for noob people , a cellphone is still powered whatever if you shutdown it or not  since it's not a mecanical switch but a chip who control the power. this is why most cellphone these day can"t be ressurected with rice since you can't remove the battery 

if  your device have power and got in water this create a reaction and attack the circuit and component, sometime broke the chip pin, sometime add contact line where it should not ,etc 

I also receive past 10 years a dead laptop , the owner fall asleep and water fall in it and was on , when I open it a small part of the motherboard was corroded , after cleaning this part somechip was totally lost , they pin was completly gone with the corrosion 

There a link where you can see what happening to a powered device when water fall on it 
http://www.neufeld.newton.ks.us/electronics/?p=1226

So be smart and wash your electronic device smartly

I don’t eat around my computer, just drinks. I’ve never had an issue with any grime build up on my keyboard and I’ve been using it for 7 years now. If you have a cheap keyboard I guess you can throw it in a dishwasher, but I wouldn’t bother with one you want to keep long term.

what was the keyboard testing program they were using?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 minutes ago, sub68 said:

what was the keyboard testing program they were using?

That's actually a part of QMK Configurator, a tool for creating keyboard firmwares for DIY Keyboards: https://config.qmk.fm/#/test

Bonus: There are fun potato facts every time you load the page

Thanks I just wanted a program just to check if keyboards are working

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

That's actually a part of QMK Configurator, a tool for creating keyboard firmwares for DIY Keyboards: https://config.qmk.fm/#/test

Thanks I just wanted a program just to check if keyboards are working

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

At work I put boards into the dishwasher all the time... (I work in electronics manufacturing)

The main things to take into consideration is what type of components are on the board. Not everything likes to get drenched... (Like humidity sensors tends to break, some speakers/mics, and some relays...)

The main problem of putting stuff in a dishwasher isn't that "water and electronics doesn't mix".

The main problem is that corrosion happens over time if the water if left in the device, so make sure to dry it out completely.

If the device is turned on while still having water in it, then corrosion will rapidly accelerate. (even if you used distilled water...)

A simple solution is to either blow out the water with dry compressed air. (not the most ESD friendly thing in the world, but electrostatic buildup on an assembled board is highly improbable.)
Another solution is to simply dunk it in isopropanol and leave it to dry... (but this isn't ideal in all cases either...)

But in the end, a dishwasher is usually fully adequate for most electronics cleaning.

Be it keyboards or motherboards, or even a GPU or the like.

(Though, don't put a hard drive through the dishwasher, the barometric vent on them can allow water to get into the device, and that is a pain to get back out...)

• 4 months later...
55 minutes ago, Alma Cooper said:

Guys, please don't do this if your keyboard isn't waterproof. I've already messed up my keyboard like this once.

It's not the water that kills it, it's the idiot plugging it in before drying it off and cleaning it that does.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈