Remote into friend's PC

Thready

My friend lives an hour away and her PC got infected and I was going to remote into her PC with my spare laptop and try to fix it. It's a browser hijacker. It's only on Microsoft Edge and I put Chrome on there and Chrome works fine but she hates Chrome. Is there a better and easier app besides the built in Windows Remote Desktop that lets me remote into her PC? I would prefer something that automatically opens ports because she's not computer savvy so having her open ports on her own might be difficult. 

I'm not too worried about it coming to my PC so I don't need to be very secure about it. My laptop is old and I can just reinstall Windows if I get infected. I'm also going to disconnect all other electronics from my Wifi during this just to be more secure. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Teamviewer?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Christophe Corazza said:

What about TeamViewer?

Just now, Levent said:

Teamviewer?

Is Teamviewer easy to use for her? Does it require a lot of skill?

no its just clicking 4 buttons and sending you her ID and password. You use those credentials to connect to her computer and thats it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Edge is a chromium browser.  Might need to get over this hurdle before you bother fixing anything.  Why would they use something they hate?

100% use teamviewer.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, Levent said:

no its just clicking 4 buttons and sending you her ID and password. You use those credentials to connect to her computer and thats it.

Awesome. I already have her credentials because I'm the one who set up her computer for her. I figure I'll just uninstall and reinstall Edge and then run a Malwarebytes sweep

1 minute ago, Animal901 said:

Edge is a chromium browser.  Might need to get over this hurdle before you bother fixing anything.  Why would they use something they hate?

She actually loves Microsoft Edge because she says it's easier to navigate. I might fix up Chrome with extensions though to make that easier for her to switch over.

Just now, Thready said:

Awesome. I already have her credentials because I'm the one who set up her computer for her. I figure I'll just uninstall and reinstall Edge and then run a Malwarebytes sweep

Actually teamviewer has its own credentials. You have to have those to connect. Teamviewer is a total RDP replacement, meaning you also have to use teamviewer to connect to her computer.

Just now, Levent said:

Actually teamviewer has its own credentials. You have to have those to connect. Teamviewer is a total RDP replacement, meaning you also have to use teamviewer to connect to her computer.

Yeah I'm going to have her download it from Chrome tonight and we're going to use it. I just downloaded it and it seems VERY user friendly. 

1 minute ago, Thready said:

She actually loves Microsoft Edge because she says it's easier to navigate. I might fix up Chrome with extensions though to make that easier for her to switch over.

I use edge for streams cause it's actually more stable than the current build of firefox. Firefox has been downhill since 2012..

Try Remote Utilities for windows. It's a portable application so no insulation is needed. All she has to do is run it and provide you with the ID number that you enter into your copy running on your computer. It's much easier than teamviewer.

4 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I use edge for streams cause it's actually more stable than the current build of firefox. Firefox has been downhill since 2012..

I disagree, but ok.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

5 hours ago, Thready said:

Is Teamviewer easy to use for her? Does it require a lot of skill?

No. She only needs to open the app and tell you the pw that's displayed.  Rest goes automatically. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

I disagree, but ok.

I use firefox all the time. Except for some streams, because it locks up after a few minutes.  It's hysterical how someone can report personal experience that can go back as far as netscape, and have someone be all like nah. Way back when in the year 2012: you'd have a better chance being allowed that download on internet explorer after a crappy firefox update. Not that anyone should use IE. But ok..................................

+1 vote for teamviewer. Very easy and security is pretty good.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

13 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I use firefox all the time. Except for some streams, because it locks up after a few minutes.  It's hysterical how someone can report personal experience that can go back as far as netscape, and have someone be all like nah. Way back when in the year 2012: you'd have a better chance being allowed that download on internet explorer after a crappy firefox update. Not that anyone should use IE. But ok..................................

In 2019 Firefox is fine and I prefer it over google chrome and Edge, but they all have had there problems.

Sometimes different users  have different experiences.  

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches