Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dual290x

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie

IS This a Christmas Movie  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. IS Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

    • Yes
      45
    • No
      11


Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I tried posting yesterday and I failed. Vote to tell me what you think.


Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

 

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5   Motherboard: Asrock Fat1ity Z97X Killer  RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x4gb   GPU: XFX AMD RX VEGA 56

Storage: Crucial 1tb M.2  OS: Win 10 Pro  Case: Cooler Master Haf XB EVO

 

File Server-> https://pcpartpicker.com/b/L4MZxr

 

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- thanks, @Cinnabar Sonar

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it is!


CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is - is it voluntary?

It's shown on TV no matter what.

Is Home Alone a christmas movie - hell YES!


... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been told it is, but I've only seen the second or third one (I forget which) ?


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Big Rig (Archived) - (Current Main) - i7 6950X @ 4.2/3.5 1.24v/1.2v core/uncore - 80C max under P95 load - Custom Loop (CPU only): 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 48GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 + 4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - currently 1660 Ti borrowed from the X79 rig, 2060 Super soon- 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 
 

X79 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 1)- i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9 XMP - EVGA XC Ultra 1660 Ti - MX500 1TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

 

X58 Rig (Mostly Done) - (Alt Rig 2) - Xeon X5675 @ 4.4/3.7 core/uncore- NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 @ 1750Mhz CL9-10-10-27 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - ASUS or Liteon DVD-RW drive, forget which - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D - 5x iPPC NF-A14 3000 PWM

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a movie that happens during the Christmas season.

That's all it is. It is NOT an actual Christmas movie. It's an action movie where the events of said movie just so happen to be in that time.

 

There's a ton of reasons as to why it isn't, but to me, the single most important reason why it is not a Christmas movie...

Is the release date.

That's right, the release date. Not the overarching themes that do not match what a Christmas movie usually is(though it is important), but the release date.

Die Hard 1 and 2 came out in July.

 

Nearly every "proper" Christmas movies came out late September to December and were likely to still be in theater by Christmas day. (there are a few outlier out there, but for example, out of the 50 recent ones that I could find, all but a single french movie(A Christmas Tale from 2008) were released in that time frame.)
By the time Christmas rolled around, Die Hard was no longer airing in theaters. It's not a Christmas movie. It's a midsummer action blockbuster that just so happen to have used Christmas as the plot's excuse to explain why he was there.

It could've literally happened on any other day, like Valentine, but if it did do you think anybody would go around claiming "well obviously it's a romantic movie for lovers everywhere because it's happening on Valentine's day!" ? Obviously not. It's not a Christmas movie, claiming that it is, is just trolling at this point and fishing for reactions.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course not. Christmas movies have to have some Christmas theme, not just take place during Christmas. If it's a Christmas movie then so is any Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's a movie that happens during the Christmas season.

That's all it is. It is NOT an actual Christmas movie. It's an action movie where the events of said movie just so happen to be in that time.

 

There's a ton of reasons as to why it isn't, but to me, the single most important reason why it is not a Christmas movie...

Is the release date.

That's right, the release date. Not the overarching themes that do not match what a Christmas movie usually is(though it is important), but the release date.

Die Hard 1 and 2 came out in July.

 

Nearly every "proper" Christmas movies came out late September to December and were likely to still be in theater by Christmas day. (there are a few outlier out there, but for example, out of the 50 recent ones that I could find, all but a single french movie(A Christmas Tale from 2008) were released in that time frame.)
By the time Christmas rolled around, Die Hard was no longer airing in theaters. It's not a Christmas movie. It's a midsummer action blockbuster that just so happen to have used Christmas as the plot's excuse to explain why he was there.

It could've literally happened on any other day, like Valentine, but if it did do you think anybody would go around claiming "well obviously it's a romantic movie for lovers everywhere because it's happening on Valentine's day!" ? Obviously not. It's not a Christmas movie, claiming that it is, is just trolling at this point and fishing for reactions.

Bruce Willis plays an antihero. It's an anti Christmas movie. It was released for Christmas in July which is when shoppers try to sneak in deals like buying heaters in the summer for use during a time frame that happens to be Christmas. Die hard is about breaking the mold, poking fun at mold, and reusing broken mold to create another one. They did do the same thing with 2 only blew up an airport. I dont think people initially went to see the movie and thought xmas, but they did once they saw it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delicious Cake said:

Yes, it's a Christmas movie. Just like how Fast & Furious 5 onwards is basically anime.

I would've said starting with Tokyo Drift, but alright.


#Muricaparrotgang

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a Christmas movie to me. Yes, it was released in July, but the town I grew up in didn't get the movie in theatres till December. That's when I first watched it. In December, during the Christmas holiday.


Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Christmas movies have to have some Christmas theme, not just take place during Christmas.

It'll always be a Christmas movie in my book! ?

 

spacer.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only is Diehard a Christmas movie. But its the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

 

Release date means nothing to me. If "A Christmas Story" was release in the summer its still a Christmas movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Not only is Diehard a Christmas movie. But its the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

 

Release date means nothing to me. If "A Christmas Story" was release in the summer its still a Christmas movie. 

Except it was released in Christmas time and is explicitly about Christmas. Die Hard is a summer action Blockbuster that has nothing to do with Christmas. This is just some dumb "controversial" bullshit argument the internet invented when there was never a question before. James Bond does the dirty with lots of girls, but absolutely no one is calling them romance movies.

And it's not that great a movie. Certainly not better than a Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation.


#Muricaparrotgang

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Except it was released in Christmas time and is explicitly about Christmas. Die Hard is a summer action Blockbuster that has nothing to do with Christmas. This is just some dumb "controversial" bullshit argument the internet invented when there was never a question before. James Bond does the dirty with lots of girls, but absolutely no one is calling them romance movies.

And it's not that great a movie. Certainly not better than a Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation.

And Die Hard is explicitly about an event that happens on xmas eve at an xmas party.  

 

Release date should have nothing to do with it. Gremlins was released in the summer yet its a christmas movie. 

 

And i would rate Die Hard as a much much better film then Christmas Vacation. Christmas Story is a hard one...if have to really think about if i like it more then Die Hard.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

And Die Hard is explicitly about an event that happens on xmas eve at an xmas party.  

 

Release date should have nothing to do with it. Gremlins was released in the summer yet its a christmas movie. 

 

And i would rate Die Hard as a much much better film then Christmas Vacation. Christmas Story is a hard one...if have to really think about if i like it more then Die Hard.

 

 

It takes place while Christmas is happening in the background. There's no focus on it.

Is the Karate Kid a Halloween movie?


#Muricaparrotgang

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It takes place while Christmas is happening in the background. There's no focus on it.

Is the Karate Kid a Halloween movie?

Is halloween a significant factor in the movie? No.

 

The entire setting of die hard is a christmas party on christmas eve.  If its setting was a halloween party on halloween night then it would be a halloween movies 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Is halloween a significant factor in the movie? No.

 

The entire setting of die hard is a christmas party on christmas eve.  If its setting was a halloween party on halloween night then it would be a halloween movies 

But they dress up and there's a big Halloween party where Daniel is the true bully.


#Muricaparrotgang

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the most Christmas'y movie I've ever seen, so hell to the yes! 

 

 


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a while since I saw it, but the story from what I remember isn't related to Christmas at all, just happens during Christmas. Enough to consider it a holiday movie I guess?

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Now i have a Maschine Gun - HO HO HO"

 

More Christmas isnt possible.


CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×