Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flohwag

After Christmas PC Upgrade

Alright, thanks to everyone, I think I‘ll get the 2600 + RX 470 with More Ram, and if it doesn’t suffice with what I’m after, then I can always sell my old components and get the Ryzen.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone,

 

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to Ryzen or (if there's any option atm) to a newer Intel system, however I'm not sure if just going i7-2600 and going to 16GB of Ram would also do it.

My current specs are:

i5-2400

OEM Mobo

8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

AMD R9 270x 

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

 

I play at 1080p on a 60Hz Display.

Also, this new PC is basically my first real attempt to get to PC Gaming, as currently most AAA Games that are being released are being played on my Xbox. 

Now, with the new consoles right around the corner, and Microsoft publishing their AAA Games on PC also, I no longer see the need to buy a console.

My Budget is 300$ max. and I'm based in Germany, so no Microcenter or CEX for me :/  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, flohwag said:

Hello everyone,

 

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to Ryzen or (if there's any option atm) to a newer Intel system, however I'm not sure if just going i7-2600 and going to 16GB of Ram would also do it.

My current specs are:

i5-2400

OEM Mobo

8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

AMD R9 270x 

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

 

I play at 1080p on a 60Hz Display.

Also, this new PC is basically my first real attempt to get to PC Gaming, as currently most AAA Games that are being released are being played on my Xbox. 

Now, with the new consoles right around the corner, and Microsoft publishing their AAA Games on PC also, I no longer see the need to buy a console.

My Budget is 300$ max. and I'm based in Germany, so no Microcenter or CEX for me :/  

$300 for all build? You can change cpu mobo and ram for that most likely but this gpu will hold you back significantly anyway. 


   @Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

                EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

                EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

                EKWB EK Thermosphere 

                EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

                EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

                EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

                EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

                EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

                EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

 

                                          WHIRO

         THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

 

        He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, flohwag said:

Hello everyone,

 

I'm currently thinking about upgrading to Ryzen or (if there's any option atm) to a newer Intel system, however I'm not sure if just going i7-2600 and going to 16GB of Ram would also do it.

My current specs are:

i5-2400

OEM Mobo

8GB 1600Mhz DDR3

AMD R9 270x 

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

 

I play at 1080p on a 60Hz Display.

Also, this new PC is basically my first real attempt to get to PC Gaming, as currently most AAA Games that are being released are being played on my Xbox. 

Now, with the new consoles right around the corner, and Microsoft publishing their AAA Games on PC also, I no longer see the need to buy a console.

My Budget is 300$ max. and I'm based in Germany, so no Microcenter or CEX for me :/  

Personally, I'd go for the i7-2600 / i7-2700 / i7-2700k and 16 GB of ram, especially if you have any free RAM slots. I'd get the cheapest RAM i could find since its an OEM motherboard and it probably wont support XMP. That combo would cost me less than $100USD where I live. (even less if I sold the old CPU/RAM and put the money toward it)

If it cost much more than that where you live, I'd go Ryzen.

 


Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Personally, I'd go for the i7-2600 / i7-2700 / i7-2700k and 16 GB of ram, especially if you have any free RAM slots. I'd get the cheapest RAM i could find since its an OEM motherboard and it probably wont support XMP. That combo would cost me less than $100USD where I live. (even less if I sold the old CPU/RAM and put the money toward it)

If it cost much more than that where you live, I'd go Ryzen.

 

What Ryzen would you suggest? For me a i7-2600 would be $66 and 16GB of DDR3 would cost me $57 (all used) so yeah.. kind of expensive as you said..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
36 minutes ago, Whiro said:

$300 for all build? You can change cpu mobo and ram for that most likely but this gpu will hold you back significantly anyway. 

Yeah... Maybe I could squeeze in another $50. Also I could get an RX 470 8GB for $86 used.. So yeah... Maybe I should allow myself more budget?! I mean my entire PC cost me $148,68 last year(all parts used)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

@flohwagYou get to invest money form selling your old parts to the budget?

Good point, a i5-2400 goes for $17 on Ebay here. so yeah that little bit might actually help

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flohwag said:

Good point, a i5-2400 goes for $17 on Ebay here. so yeah that little bit might actually help

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ~110€

Ryzen 5 3500X from Aliexpress - 110€

16GB DDR4 - 55€

And all the rest of the budget to GPU maybe?

 

Altough selling an OEM board would not be easy to come to think of it.


... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, flohwag said:

What Ryzen would you suggest? For me a i7-2600 would be $66 and 16GB of DDR3 would cost me $57 (all used) so yeah.. kind of expensive as you said..

Ehh thats not too far off, though it sounds like a lot for the RAM.

If past gen ryzens are going cheap, a ryzen 5 1600 / 1600x / 2600 /2600x would be an easy choice for me. Otherwise I'd probably step all the way up to a Ryzen 5 3600.


Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ~110€

Ryzen 5 3500X from Aliexpress - 110€

16GB DDR4 - 55€

And all the rest of the budget to GPU maybe?

 

Altough selling an OEM board would not be easy to come to think of it.

Thanks, for that suggestion, didn't think of AliExpress actually.

 

For the Motherboard I would choose this one from Gigabyte as I would like a Micro ATX Formfactor:

 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07KX428VH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1 It's only 60€ so yeah 

I found that 3500x on Aliexpress, while it's only a 6core/6 thread chip, its surely better than a 1600 right? 

 

Where did you find the RAM? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flohwag said:

Thanks, for that suggestion, didn't think of AliExpress actually.

 

For the Motherboard I would choose this one from Gigabyte as I would like a Micro ATX Formfactor:

 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07KX428VH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1 It's only 60€ so yeah 

I found that 3500x on Aliexpress, while it's only a 6core/6 thread chip, its surely better than a 1600 right? 

 

Where did you find the RAM? 

3500X should be better around 20% considering also it's much better RAM comapatibility. At least in gaming.

DDR4 -. I considered of local prices in EU (Estonia) ... 3200Mhz is acually a bit pricier - 62€ not much difference though. Should be similar in whole EU (?)


... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Quick CPU question, would you get the 3500x for 110€ with its stock cooler 

or would you recommend a  Ryzen 5 2600 with an aftermarket cooler for 107€ ? 

 

Cause I'm not sure if 6core/12threads makes that big of a difference, because of the IPC Improvements the 3500x has.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, flohwag said:

Quick CPU question, would you get the 3500x for 110€ with its stock cooler 

or would you recommend a  Ryzen 5 2600 with an aftermarket cooler for 107€ ? 

 

Cause I'm not sure if 6core/12threads makes that big of a difference, because of the IPC Improvements the 3500x has.  

 

Edit: now when the reviews are up it's not as good as i predicted..


... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Speaking of GPU: 

 

Would a 1650 (non Super) paired with a i7-2600 work great as well, or should I go Ryzen and wait for the 1650 or maybe something better... 

 

Currently torn between these options..

Actually both options (Ryzen +16GB 3000Mhz Ram, Mobo and Case) (i7-2600 + 1650 (non super) and 8GB DDR3 would be in the same ballpark price wise (236€ for Ryzen, 247€ for i7+ 1650)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flohwag said:

Would a 1650 (non Super) paired with a i7-2600 work great as well, or should I go Ryzen and wait for the 1650 or maybe something better... 

I believe it should be fine, But there are better and cheaper options than the GTX 1650(as far as new in Germany IDK). If a i7 2600 cost you $66, a used RX 470 $86 and used DDR3 ram lets say $30 then for $182 you can have a system that can game at 1080p and 60fps with decently high details in most games, so for $182 you are getting better performance than the GTX 1650 and that covers all your parts.

 

Now going to 6 core Ryzen maybe tempting and may prove to be worth it for the future IMO.


Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

 

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (with a -0.108v Vcore offset for lower temps)
Motherboard: Acer TC-780A(KBL) Gigabyte B450 Aorus m
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4(Mixed two brands and speeds, Kingston and Crucial) GEIL Potenza Evo at 3200Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 Founders reference card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: NONE, eveything works fine, no need to upgrade, stop telling me I need an SSD.
PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+white(No, it is not dangerous) Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz,
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz
(Yes, I use a CRT and I prefer gaming on one)
 
Cooling: Grill with filter installed onto the front panel for air intake cooling with a 120mm Corsair ML120 and an old recycled 92mm cooler master(forgot model) fan for exhaust.
 
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Ehm' my suggestion that 3500X would be much  better than 2600 might be wrong: 

 

 


... but I'm no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

Alright, thanks to everyone, I think I‘ll get the 2600 + RX 470 with More Ram, and if it doesn’t suffice with what I’m after, then I can always sell my old components and get the Ryzen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×