Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
msknight

London Electric Buses to trial new sound

Posted · Original PosterOP

Here we go. As if the Borris Bus wasn't enough, new electric buses are to trial a new sound on one route to let people know that they are coming - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-electric-bus-sound

Unfortunately the SoundCloud reference to the tune in the article is dead for me, but it's going to be more than just a fake, "engine rev." It's a subject which is drawing a chunk of debate as we've got the chance now to change things. The Verge reported it to be, "positively psychedelic," https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/12/20/21031524/london-electric-buses-artificial-fake-noise-safety-sound Unfortunately, that sound cloud link didn't work either.

Personally, I think they should play the theme tune to, "On The Buses," on a continuous loop -

Imagine having to make fake engine noises through loud speakers inorder to let people know that you're coming.

This post was made by the Diesel Engine Gang.

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Imagine having to make fake engine sounds inorder to let people know you're coming.

This post was made by the Diesel Engine Gang.

Imagine having to compress your fuel to the point it explodes.

This post was made by the Steam Engine Gang.

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

My father in law was a around today in a hybrid.   It fucking startled me when he backed out without a sound and I had experienced it before.  Years of experiencing moving vehicles with specific sounds wires us  to be comfortable with a certain expectation/predictability (a key component of survival),  but to then suddenly to not have sounds is as dangerous as having loud headphones on walking around the streets.

I want to hear the sound now.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

for real though, as someone who drives in inner london for work and works in various buildings in inner london, it's long due time they switched to electric and frankly banned diesel from the capital. my van doesn't have a cabin air filter in it and as refult if you wipe your hand on the bulkhead behind where i sit, you get an oily black film of all the diesel particulate that's been flooding into the cabin as i've been driving, and consequently, my lungs. mmmmmmmmm, cancer.

further to that, but a vast majority of our buildings are placed next to main roads, and the kit at work is covered in the same black diesel particulate matter. once it's on your skin it gets ingrained into your hands and will not wash out either (and unfortunately using gloves the whole time is not practical).

so, yeah, it's many years too late for this technology to emerge but they need to step the fuck up on rolling it out because while i don't care if i see the ripe old age of 99, i sure as hell don't want to be taken out by lung cancer.

my suggestion for an unmistakable sound would simply be for TFL to license "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the Beach Boys and blare it at 110db from all four corners of the bus. no possible way you can miss it then

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

9 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

Imagine having to use such an inefficient fuel source that creates so much pollution.

This post was made by the nuclear engine association.

EDIT:P.S I am aware nuclear needs steam to create electricity.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

The sound they play should be the theme song from Thomas the Tank Engine TV series

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Imagine having to use such an inefficient fuel source that creates so much pollution.

This post was made by the nuclear engine association.

Imagine having to use a motor powered engine to move a vehicle instead of using your feets to collectively push the vehicle forward

This Post was made by the Flintstones Gang

spacer.png

They could make it seem like the bus is going faster by playing the Benny Hill theme song

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you, I may not see your post otherwise.

Please use  https://www.dictionary.com/  if you don't know how to spell something with any confidence, to check.

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • AM4 1700 build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/XyXyXL
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/paddy.stone/saved/c4z9GX
  • Main Server - ASrock AB350M Pro 4 - AMD Athlon 200GE - 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM - 240GB Crucial M500 SSD Boot Drive, running Windows 10, plex server - 4x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDDs.
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocaphone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

More like fuel cell gang 

New Rig yay

My Folding Stats

amen brother, yi yi !

X  Vigilo Confido  X

And here in the USA we have very few buses...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I wonder if when "most" people have electric vehicles, if the noise they make will be customisable. It could become quite a mess on the roads with noise pollution instead...

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 3600, Noctua D9L, G.SKill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, WD Green 240GB SSD, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-8086k, i3-8350k, i7-7920X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700T, i5-6600k, i3-6100, i7-5930k, i7-5820k, i7-5775C, i5-5675C, 2x i7-4590, i5-4570S, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, E5-2667, R7 3700X, R5 3600, R5 2600, R7 1700

1 minute ago, porina said:

I wonder if when "most" people have electric vehicles, if the noise they make will be customisable. It could become quite a mess on the roads with noise pollution instead...

Please... hell no. Someone will load their car with that damn frog.  Briiiing dinga dinga dinga dinggggg....

Just now, msknight said:

Please... hell no. Someone will load their car with that damn frog.  Briiiing dinga dinga dinga dinggggg....

Sorry, I had that in mind when I wrote that... I'd do it.

Main rig: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Fractal Edison 550W PSU, Corsair 600C, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

Ryzen rig: Asrock B450 ITX, R5 3600, Noctua D9L, G.SKill TridentZ 3000C14 2x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair CX450M, NZXT Manta, WD Green 240GB SSD, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR rig: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

Total CPU heating: i7-8086k, i3-8350k, i7-7920X, 2x i7-6700k, i7-6700T, i5-6600k, i3-6100, i7-5930k, i7-5820k, i7-5775C, i5-5675C, 2x i7-4590, i5-4570S, 2x i3-4150T, E5-2683v3, 2x E5-2650, E5-2667, R7 3700X, R5 3600, R5 2600, R7 1700

Just now, msknight said:

...and they'll probably load it into the electric version of the Fiat 500 just to add insult to injury.

Just now, porina said:

Sorry, I had that in mind when I wrote that... I'd do it.

So you're the one responsible !!!  (lol)

2 minutes ago, msknight said:

is that thing still a thing today?! o_o

34 minutes ago, msknight said:

I'd have mine be the horn version of the US National Anthem like in GTA V.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.  Here's what I got so far.  

Keep in mind I'm still grabbing multiplatform games on PC, unless they happen to be cheaper on PS4 or Switch (such as RDR2 as of right now)

Currently Playing:  

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch

Games Beaten:

• God of War - PS4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Switch

(will be reset at the beginning of each month)

Put on hold:

• Splatoon 2 - Switch

How many games I'm needing:

• DS: 82
  • Wii: 38
  • 360/PS3: 84
  • 3DS: 60
  • Wii U: 6
  • PS Vita: 34
  • PS4: 20
  • Switch: 16

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

My father in law was a around today in a hybrid.   It fucking startled me when he backed out without a sound and I had experienced it before.  Years of experiencing moving vehicles with specific sounds wires us  to be comfortable with a certain expectation/predictability (a key component of survival),  but to then suddenly to not have sounds is as dangerous as having loud headphones on walking around the streets.

I want to hear the sound now.

All motion makes sound. It's a critical part of the way people feel their position in environments by the sounds around them. EVs cause problems because they're mixed in with other vehicle noises in the background so you can't isolate their sound (via the tires, mostly). It's not an issue away from denser populated areas, but, for most, it's a real issue that far too many skip over.

More specifically for Electric Drive-based vehicles, the sound needs to be easily effected by the doppler effect, so you can't actually adjust for the changing position. Some of the early hums were really badly chosen. 

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'd have mine be the horn version of the US National Anthem like in GTA V.

overblown recorder music

yeah this exercise in "what is the worst possible sound that will get on every one's nerves" makes me think this has to be regulated by the auto industry or traffic/transport department ._.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

overblown recorder music

yeah this exercise in "what is the worst possible sound that will get on every one's nerves" makes me think this has to be regulated by the auto industry or traffic/transport department ._.

It more than likely will end up being regulated by nations' various Departments of Transportation.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.  Here's what I got so far.  

Keep in mind I'm still grabbing multiplatform games on PC, unless they happen to be cheaper on PS4 or Switch (such as RDR2 as of right now)

Currently Playing:  

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch

Games Beaten:

• God of War - PS4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Switch

(will be reset at the beginning of each month)

Put on hold:

• Splatoon 2 - Switch

How many games I'm needing:

• DS: 82
  • Wii: 38
  • 360/PS3: 84
  • 3DS: 60
  • Wii U: 6
  • PS Vita: 34
  • PS4: 20
  • Switch: 16

I hope it is a series of screams tbh.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Savior. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III