iPhone XR STILL the best selling phone of 2019

DrMacintosh
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Being more successful by dollars kinda inherently trumps being successful by numbers in a profit driven, capitalist society. Does it not? 

Nicely dodged. You completely ignored the only point I made. If you were talking about Apple versus Samsung, sure.

But you were talking about a specific model iPhone, then switched to talking about Apple corporate. Apples and oranges? No more like Apples and alligators. Two completely separate, unrelated things.

Just now, SpammyMcFilterson said:

You completely ignored the only point I made.

The only point you made is not valid. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Also, I'm pretty sure this doesn't make any sense. 

You are right. It does NOT make any sense. That's why it's a reductio ad absurdum. That's where I take your argument, and show how if you apply it in another case, it produces an absurd result. Therefore the underlying logic is invalid.

1 minute ago, SpammyMcFilterson said:

That's why it's a reductio ad absurdum. That's where I take your argument, and show how if you apply it in another case, it produces an absurd result. Therefore the underlying logic is invalid.

Ok buddy. See you in Q4

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The only point you made is not valid. 

You didn't even read my whole message before you started replying. You're already formulating your next reply and you STILL haven't gotten my point.

Since you didn't get it, here it is again, more slowly.

YOU started out claiming that a specific iPhone model is the best.

YOU then claimed that the proof of this is that Apple is highly profitable.

Chipotle is one of the most profitable stocks of 2019, and they don't make any smartphones. Therefore, the profitability of a given stock has nothing to do with the quality of the phones the company produces. That's the ONE and ONLY thing I objected to. Your BS moving the goalposts. I don't give a damn what phone you use.

Just now, SpammyMcFilterson said:

You didn't even read my whole message before you started replying.

You're right. I didn't and I don't care. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You're right. I didn't and I don't care. 

So in other words, you're a fanboy who doesn't even try to understand any other point of view, you simply lash out like a small child when anyone criticises you. As soon as someone actually provides an argument you can't refute, you stick your fingers in your ears and go "Nyah nyah nyah I can't hear you!"

Your reasoning is defective. All I said, all I meant.

As for your iphone fetish, good on ya. I don't care what you use. I don't care which phone is more successful. I just hate crap reasoning and call it out when I see it. If you used the same argument about Ford vs Chevy I'd call you out the same way.

For the record, I own Apple stock because it's highly profitable, not because I like their phones. 

3 minutes ago, SpammyMcFilterson said:

So in other words, you're a fanboy who doesn't even try to understand any other point of view, you simply lash out like a small child when anyone criticises you

Sure, we can go with that if you'd like. 

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

It's really, really different now.  Apple has made a point of improving performance on older phones, and the evolution of the hardware itself has made performance more acceptable.  My parents' iPhone 6 units were still performing well right up until they got the iPhone 11 (so they could stay current) this fall.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

That kind of thing can happen on any platform. 

I had an ASUS Transformer TF-101 original gen tablet - after subsequent Android updates (ICS I think, but I’m fuzzy on the specifics), it ran worse and worse. 

Additionally, certain apps eventually became unusable (such as Skype). The thing just didn’t have the processing power to deal with the increased requirements of the newer OS and apps. 

iOS has come a long way. I too went Windows Phone, and I’m glad I went iOS after. My 6s and now XR have been stellar phones. We still have the 6s - I gave it to my fiancée. It’s still plenty fast and handles basically any app no problem. Even 5s’s are still kicking around with minimal issues. 

And i can say the same for Android: Android has come a long way, though, as for my personal experience, even when i was using custom roms, not once have i ended up with that goes from perfectly fine to unusable after an update. And that's a positive enough experience for me to keep me on Android for now and the foreseeable future. Not saying that Android is perfect and will always be, just look at company behind it's creation, might as well consider it a ticking time bomb. But they haven't fucked up yet, so no reason to change for me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This debate honestly has gone so far off topic and probably should be locked already

why are people debating this fiercely for companies that are trying to drain them off their wallet...

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

This debate honestly has gone so far off topic and probably should be locked already

why are people debating this fiercely for companies that are trying to drain them off their wallet...

Because companies are more important than family or friends

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Kind of sad that a last gen phone is still their most popular model.

I understand that generational leaps between phones are smaller than ever. But it being only slightly cheaper than the new iphone 11, I dont really get why people would still buy an XR over an 11. I would get the latest model given the small price difference, if just for the reason of longer support from the manufacturer.

On 12/25/2019 at 3:49 AM, Den-Fi said:

I can't believe people still buy iPhones.

Why? I don't own an Iphone but I like the fact that they support their phones for like 3 or 4 years with MAJOR software upgrades, unlike Samsung that only gives you 1 or 2 major upgrades in terms of software (S8 which was released in 2017 will not get A10). Iphones are also easy to use and it's perfect for people who don't want customization and rooting etc. I can't think of any company beside Google which supports their phones for a good amount of years with Android upgrades. 

In the end people buy whatever they like more, and those who do not care about specs are looking at the color and the brand

17 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I understand that generational leaps between phones are smaller than ever. But it being only slightly cheaper than the new iphone 11, I dont really get why people would still buy an XR over an 11. I would get the latest model given the small price difference, if just for the reason of longer support from the manufacturer.

Because phones in Europe and other parts of the word cost more than in the US? Here in Romania there's a difference of 200$ between the XR and the 11.

1 hour ago, Duski said:

Why? I don't own an Iphone but I like the fact that they support their phones for like 3 or 4 years with MAJOR software upgrades, unlike Samsung that only gives you 1 or 2 major upgrades in terms of software (S8 which was released in 2017 will not get A10). Iphones are also easy to use and it's perfect for people who don't want customization and rooting etc. I can't think of any company beside Google which supports their phones for a good amount of years with Android upgrades. 

In the end people buy whatever they like more, and those who do not care about specs are looking at the color and the brand

Twas joke based on people caring so much about what phone someone uses on this forum. I've had an iPhone since the 4.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

Remember that most phone makers primarily lean on lower-cost sales.  Samsung's Galaxy S10 and Note 10 phones may be stars, for example, but it's more affordable devices like the A- and M-series that represent the company's bread and butter.  For Apple, the iPhone XR represents a similar sweet spot where it offers most of the 11's experience, but saves you $100.

Now, the 2020 'standard' iPhone may be a different story, since it may use OLED and otherwise leap forward in design.  I suspect you're going to see a shift in sales toward the newest devices around September.

20 hours ago, Commodus said:

Remember that most phone makers primarily lean on lower-cost sales.  Samsung's Galaxy S10 and Note 10 phones may be stars, for example, but it's more affordable devices like the A- and M-series that represent the company's bread and butter.  For Apple, the iPhone XR represents a similar sweet spot where it offers most of the 11's experience, but saves you $100.

Now, the 2020 'standard' iPhone may be a different story, since it may use OLED and otherwise leap forward in design.  I suspect you're going to see a shift in sales toward the newest devices around September.

True, it seems like most people love to have a cheaper iPhone, even if it is one generation behind.

In my opinion, it is very difficult to understand why Apple has not released an iPhone SE2. It could corner a lot of the market that the likes of cheap Android phones are now cornering.

I know plenty of anecdotal evidence of people who prefer iOS, but they are forced to buy a cheaper Android phone because they do not want to pay $700 or more for a phone.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

True, it seems like most people love to have a cheaper iPhone, even if it is one generation behind.

In my opinion, it is very difficult to understand why Apple has not released an iPhone SE2. It could corner a lot of the market that the likes of cheap Android phones are now cornering.

I know plenty of anecdotal evidence of people who prefer iOS, but they are forced to buy a cheaper Android phone because they do not want to pay $700 or more for a phone.

I think Apple wants to release a sequel, and there are rumors of an iPhone 8-like design with newer hardware coming out in the spring.  You might even see a 5.4-inch device in the fall.  But any budget phone was likely going to require a serious rethink, since Apple likely wasn't going to get far selling a refreshed 4-inch phone in 2019 (and certainly 2020).

12 hours ago, maartendc said:

9 hours ago, Commodus said:

But any budget phone was likely going to require a serious rethink, since Apple likely wasn't going to get far selling a refreshed 4-inch phone in 2019 (and certainly 2020).

Which is annoying because I know a lot of people who are tired of big screens and hate google (like myself).  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/30/2019 at 7:16 PM, maartendc said:

Well, you have to remember that there are more likely to be deals on the iPhone XR right now compared to the new & hot iPhone 11. Most people would jump on the opportunity to get a new iPhone if they only have to pay $450-500 with the deals compared to the $700+ on new iPhone 11. At $150 or even more, the difference makes it worth getting the older iPhone since the A11 is going to be stupid fast driving a 720P+ screen.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Which is annoying because I know a lot of people who are tired of big screens and hate google (like myself).  

What market are we talking here? US market? I live in a country where apple does not have an apple store due to government policies, resulting in apple only having authorized reseller and the price gets jacked up such that iPhone 11 costs as much as Note 10+

Most people here who want to buy an iPhone would just buy the iPhone XR or 11 and many get Note 10+ or S10+ instead because there's a $700-800 difference between note 10+ and iPhone 11 pro max.

I'm already having headache thinking that I might have to switch to samsung from my iPhone since paying around AU$2000 for new iPhone every 2-3 years is a crap ton of money.

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

What market are we talking here? US market? I live in a country where apple does not have an apple store due to government policies, resulting in apple only having authorized reseller and the price gets jacked up such that iPhone 11 costs as much as Note 10+

Most people here who want to buy an iPhone would just buy the iPhone XR or 11 and many get Note 10+ or S10+ instead because there's a $700-800 difference between note 10+ and iPhone 11 pro max.

I'm already having headache thinking that I might have to switch to samsung from my iPhone since paying around AU$2000 for new iPhone every 2-3 years is a crap ton of money.

Australia,  trying to get a decent 4" phone that isn't loaded with data theft and crap problems is nigh on impossible.  Even though I don't like apples repair policies and practices, without windows phone any more I have to choose between apple and google.  What a fucking nightmare.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

trying to get a decent 4" phone

Wait? You still want a dinky 4" phone in 2020?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Wait? You still want a dinky 4" phone in 2020?

Why does the year decide what screen size is best for me?