iPhone XR STILL the best selling phone of 2019

DrMacintosh
1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

*looks at Samsung*

The Samsung S10 128GB is priced less or around the same as a 64GB iPhone XR, idk about "better balanced" but the S10 is better in every way especially in screen and cameras. I'd still probably go for the OP7 or a Note 9 though.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Samsung S10 128GB is priced less or around the same as a 64GB iPhone XR, idk about "better balanced" but the S10 is better in every way especially in screen and cameras. I'd still probably go for the OP7 or a Note 9 though.

This goes back to the argument that 99% of the people who buy cell phones buy them for what they are, not because of their specs. I've never heard a normal person sit there and argue that the S10 is better because it has 8 cores or 3x the ram. You hear people saying they like iPhone because of iMessage, iPhoto, and "because its an iPhone".

17 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Looks like 99% of people here only look at specs sheet and make bunch of baseless assumptions. How many times do we have to repeat that specs mean NOTHING if you don't know how it works in real world. In fact it's the opposite. Apple chipsets have the least cores and phones have the least RAM. Yet they run better than basically all Androids. So, specs mean d*ck if you don't know how it really works. And Apple phones just work better. Android fanboys may not like that fact, but I used to be basically Apple hater and have been using Android phones since version Eclair (2.x). I don't think I'll ever go back to Android. Especially not since creepy Google is infesting it and they all have absolutely atrocious software support.

1 hour ago, lloose said:

This goes back to the argument that 99% of the people who buy cell phones buy them for what they are, not because of their specs. I've never heard a normal person sit there and argue that the S10 is better because it has 8 cores or 3x the ram. You hear people saying they like iPhone because of iMessage, iPhoto, and "because its an iPhone".

Those 99% of people are going to stick with a brand they're comfortable with anyway or get sold a more expensive phone than they really need in the phone store, i'm just saying the S10 is an objectively better value for the price. Otherwise I agree there really isn't a "best phone" nowadays with how saturated the market is with great midrange phones which still have flagship level hardware.

47 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Looks like 99% of people here only look at specs sheet and make bunch of baseless assumptions. How many times do we have to repeat that specs mean NOTHING if you don't know how it works in real world. In fact it's the opposite. Apple chipsets have the least cores and phones have the least RAM. Yet they run better than basically all Androids. So, specs mean d*ck if you don't know how it really works. And Apple phones just work better. Android fanboys may not like that fact, but I used to be basically Apple hater and have been using Android phones since version Eclair (2.x). I don't think I'll ever go back to Android. Especially not since creepy Google is infesting it and they all have absolutely atrocious software support.

And you're making baseless assumptions that no one is at least taking a quick look at camera or display specs to compare with their current device and as tech enthusiasts ofc we're looking at specs. If you don't care about specs then go back to a 480p screen, 2GB ram, dual core phone. Sure plenty of people buy have no idea what they're buying and just buy into the brand status with the "It JuST WoRks" Apple fanboyism but the locked down OS isn't for everyone,and I sure wouldn't buy an iPhone with their consumer practices and how they treat the consumer regarding repair to make that phone last more than a few years.

32 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So from that statement I should ditch my workstation and buy an Mac Mini. Balls to the specs, Apple sold more Mini's than HP sold Z800's so that's the best choice.

22 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I sure wouldn't buy an iPhone with their consumer practices and how they treat the consumer regarding repair to make that phone last more than a few years.

That's the thing for me, their after sale service and product design is just as bad as googles data collection and the systems sometimes shitty glitches on cheaper hardware. 

However because I can separate my banking and real world stuff from my mobile I can have a separate google account for the phone that I don't need linked to emails, or apps/calendars etc and because android phones are generally cheaper it makes it the better choice.  If I could have the repairability of android phones, the privacy (as it stands it's still better than google) of ios and the price of motorola I would be a happy mobile consumer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In terms of repairs, if your phone has a defect or something (not caused by you) is wrong with it in its warranty period, its generally a great experience. I've had phone issues with my iPhones before. I walked into an Apple store and always walked out with it fixed. Most of the time with a brand new phone. With a Samsung phone, you are stuck sending it in. Inside warranty or not. Going weeks without your phone just sucks. AFTER the warranty period, thats a different story though. I've never seen an android phone that costs as much to repair as an iPhone. Not even close.

6 minutes ago, lloose said:

In terms of repairs, if your phone has a defect or something (not caused by you) is wrong with it in its warranty period, its generally a great experience. I've had phone issues with my iPhones before. I walked into an Apple store and always walked out with it fixed. Most of the time with a brand new phone. With a Samsung phone, you are stuck sending it in. Inside warranty or not. Going weeks without your phone just sucks. AFTER the warranty period, thats a different story though. I've never seen an android phone that costs as much to repair as an iPhone. Not even close.

All I'd have to do it take my Note to the providers store and they'll replace it if it's faulty on the spot :/

30 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

All I'd have to do it take my Note to the providers store and they'll replace it if it's faulty on the spot :/

Yeah if you're in Warranty they do that for an iPhone too. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Unbelievable, every single one of those "popular" phones has a fucking notch! Have people just accepted that as some how the "norm" and are perfectly okay with what is obviously a shitty design decision?

15 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Unbelievable, every single one of those "popular" phones has a fucking notch! Have people just accepted that as some how the "norm" and are perfectly okay with what is obviously a shitty design decision?

The notch is one of my reasons for going with the (discontinued) 2018 J2 Pro, and not an A20 or A30.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

17 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

That's clearly exactly what happened. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The notch is one of my reasons for going with the (discontinued) 2018 J2 Pro, and not an A20 or A30.

One of my friends has been trying to find a phone that doesn't have rounded corners on the display which seemed like an absolutely impossible task before I googled the 2018 J2 Pro (which now that it's discontinued probably means normal corners on the display of a modern phone are indeed impossible)

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

That's the thing for me, their after sale service and product design is just as bad as googles data collection and the systems sometimes shitty glitches on cheaper hardware. 

However because I can separate my banking and real world stuff from my mobile I can have a separate google account for the phone that I don't need linked to emails, or apps/calendars etc and because android phones are generally cheaper it makes it the better choice.  If I could have the repairability of android phones, the privacy (as it stands it's still better than google) of ios and the price of motorola I would be a happy mobile consumer.

Yeah iOS has glitches or bugs sometimes just as annoying as bugs you'd get with Android, other design choices are weird IMO like the iPad and Macbook have USB-C, but the iPhone is stuck with the lightning port, would be more convenient if the iPhone moved to a standard port.

I'm not denying iOS has better privacy, but I would want a phone with repairability and more open software of Android without the data collection, parts availability and camera quality of Samsung, with Motorola or Nokia price.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Those 99% of people are going to stick with a brand they're comfortable with anyway or get sold a more expensive phone than they really need in the phone store, i'm just saying the S10 is an objectively better value for the price. Otherwise I agree there really isn't a "best phone" nowadays with how saturated the market is with great midrange phones which still have flagship level hardware.

And you're making baseless assumptions that no one is at least taking a quick look at camera or display specs to compare with their current device and as tech enthusiasts ofc we're looking at specs. If you don't care about specs then go back to a 480p screen, 2GB ram, dual core phone. Sure plenty of people buy have no idea what they're buying and just buy into the brand status with the "It JuST WoRks" Apple fanboyism but the locked down OS isn't for everyone,and I sure wouldn't buy an iPhone with their consumer practices and how they treat the consumer regarding repair to make that phone last more than a few years.

I literally don't know what megapixel count my XR has. My only metric was, does it make good photos. And the answer was yes. That's it. No megapixels, no sensor size, no aperture size and all that crap. I also "downgraded" many things and they were all "only on paper" things that matter to awful lot of people here but don't really matter, particularly endless raving about display resolution nonsense. iPhone XR also only has hexacore CPU and only 3GB of RAM. It's also funny when people talk about "locked down OS", but conveniently forget that on Android, EVERYTHING depends on locked down Google's apps framework and doing it otherwise means you'll be having huge power efficiency issues or just have things not working well at all. What good is all the freedom of doing whatever you want when everything is just garbage no matter how you turn it. You're either at mercy of Google or you're at mercy of bad and limited experience. And not to mention how this openness and "we don't care" approach makes Android ecosystem like a wild west. Everyone just does bunch of sketchy things because hey, Google does it too. Where Apple, while having locked down ecosystem, they are at least what seems like a responsible sheriff. They make sure shit works and that app makers don't overreach their data hoarding nonsense. And the "it just works" is not a fanboyish saying. I've had countless Androids and there is just ALWAYS some dumb shit ruining the experience. After year of iOS, I had 1 somewhat more serious issue (lockup of app history panel for previously installed apps list), that was gone after I rebooted my phone. On Android I often had to reboot just because it started running like absolute garbage as whole on its own for no logical reason. Literally only reboots I make with iOS is when it updates. So, yeah, it does just work and it's not some BS perpetuated by Apple fanboys. It literally is like that. Maybe it wasn't like that before, but it sure is now. Just like Toyota has a reputation of "just works and hardly ever breaks", Apple apparently built that kind of reputation for iOS and iPhones. And that never just happens because of fanboys.

8 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

So from that statement I should ditch my workstation and buy an Mac Mini. Balls to the specs, Apple sold more Mini's than HP sold Z800's so that's the best choice.

We're talking phones here, not desktop computers. And even with workstations, Mac Pro, this latest thing, it's expensive and doesn't have best possible specs compared to Windows desktop PC on paper and yet people prefer it regardless. So, make what you will from that. And I very much doubt people who earn money with them are fanboys. They are fanboys because they like how it works, feels and looks, not how big of a dick it has on a spec sheet. Just saying.

18 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Where did you see this?  I just checked all the big US carriers, and the iPhone XR is consistently priced lower than the S10e, let alone the regular S10.  Hell, it was the same price as the S10e when both were new.  Maybe if you take advantage of a holiday sale (I know Samsung is offering steep discounts to clear stock), but with regular pricing the XR is more competitive.

As it stands, the S10 series is definitely not "better in every way."  Screen certainly, included storage certainly, range of available cameras certainly, but not in battery life, CPU performance, long-term software support or some aspects of camera quality (particularly colour accuracy and video recording).

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

We're talking phones here, not desktop computers. And even with workstations, Mac Pro, this latest thing, it's expensive and doesn't have best possible specs compared to Windows desktop PC on paper and yet people prefer it regardless. So, make what you will from that. And I very much doubt people who earn money with them are fanboys. They are fanboys because they like how it works, feels and looks, not how big of a dick it has on a spec sheet. Just saying.

I said Mac Mini....

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

I said Mac Mini....

And I said Mac Pro. People buy things and sometimes they have very specific reasons that have NOTHING to do with specifications or price. My reason for going with iPhone was entire eradication of everything Google from my life. Because my god Google became creepy as hell. Nothing to do with specs. Absolutely nothing.

20 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah if you're in Warranty they do that for an iPhone too. 

I was replying to the statement that Samsung devices need mailing in, which isn't correct.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And I said Mac Pro. People buy things and sometimes they have very specific reasons that have NOTHING to do with specifications or price. My reason for going with iPhone was entire eradication of everything Google from my life. Because my god Google became creepy as hell. Nothing to do with specs. Absolutely nothing.

People also buy things and sometimes performance is more important that a pretty looking snappy UI.

Your claim that Apple devices are better performing with weaker hardware doesn't really hold any water. They may "feel" quicker, in the same way my Reliant Robin feels quicker than my brothers Jeep.

I mentioned a Mini as there is one 6 foot away from me, and while it feels quicker to use compared to my workstation, when it comes to any real workload or even playing back a video, it has nothing on my machine. Cross platform games are another example. Very well optimized for the lower powered hardware of a console, but will struggle under heavier demand where a PC will cope just fine.

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

People also buy things and sometimes performance is more important that a pretty looking snappy UI.

Your claim that Apple devices are better performing with weaker hardware doesn't really hold any water. They may "feel" quicker, in the same way my Reliant Robin feels quicker than my brothers Jeep.

I mentioned a Mini as there is one 6 foot away from me, and while it feels quicker to use compared to my workstation, when it comes to any real workload or even playing back a video, it has nothing on my machine. Cross platform games are another example. Very well optimized for the lower powered hardware of a console, but will struggle under heavier demand where a PC will cope just fine.

Apple and weaker hardware. Dude, iPhones beat all competition even 1 WHOLE year after release. The A12 in iPhone XR is still better than Snapdragon 855+. And it's over 1 year old now. Weak hardware lol... This thread is about iPhone XR after all, not Mac Mini which I don't care about or have any experience with.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Apple and weaker hardware. Dude, iPhones beat all competition even 1 WHOLE year after release. The A12 in iPhone XR is still better than Snapdragon 855+. And it's over 1 year old now. Weak hardware lol... This thread is about iPhone XR after all, not Mac Mini which I don't care about or have any experience with.

Christ on a bike :/