iPhone XR STILL the best selling phone of 2019

DrMacintosh
16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Profit is what you're left with after accounting for expenses (eg R&D)...and in 1 generation (eg iPhone X) the R&D overlap will be quite high, so either way the actual cost-of-manufacture between each model of the X is going to be very low, and Apple will be making the most off high-end sales.
You're also ignoring spec changes (eg Storage and connectivity). You can see what I mean especially easily with Macbooks due to how much extra is charged for increased storage and RAM.

You should probably watch the video I linked before commenting.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

I tried to watch it, but it wouldn't play and I don't use the site often enough to warrant disabling the blocker for it.   Is there a text version or another source?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-x

It doesn't cost that much to increase the storage by that amount...my point still stands: Apple like its competitors and pretty much all companies (there are of course exceptions: eg. BMW with Buggati) has wider profit margins on their more expensive models.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

My sister has note 9 while i have XS max that we bought around the same time. My sister already wants to ditch the phone because the usb-c port shits itself and the camera app lags in terms of shutter speed.

I have a Note 9. The camera does have a slightly laggy shutter, but no USB issues.

I've had enough experience repairing ports on female owned devices to say it's likely not the device at fault ;)

38 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I tried to watch it, but it wouldn't play and I don't use the site often enough to warrant disabling the blocker for it.   Is there a text version or another source?

There's no text version. Basically a supply chain analyst broke down the material cost to Apple to make an iPhone 11, it's about $500 before factoring in ads, shipping, r&d and such.

31 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone/iphone-x

It doesn't cost that much to increase the storage by that amount...my point still stands: Apple like its competitors and pretty much all companies (there are of course exceptions: eg. BMW with Buggati) has wider profit margins on their more expensive models.

Now you're using a fallacy to argue your point, don't move goalposts after being corrected, it's silly.

You said the current iPhone line costs Apple the same amount of money as it costs to make a low end device. That's obviously not true, as I pointed out. The rest of your comment is entirely unrelated.

8 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

There's no text version. Basically a supply chain analyst broke down the material cost to Apple to make an iPhone 11, it's about $500 before factoring in ads, shipping, r&d and such.

So depending on the model within $100 of the other estimates you'll find online. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

An actual $500 cost? I doubt that, even the highest end phones have around a $300-350 BOM cost.

Even if the phone cost $500 to make, they are still getting insane profit margins on the 11 Pro Max because the flagship phones don't cost that much more to make than the lower end versions.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

An actual $500 cost? I doubt that, even the highest end phones have around a $300-350 BOM cost.

Even if the phone cost $500 to make, they are still getting insane profit margins on the 11 Pro Max because the flagship phones don't cost that much more to make than the lower end versions.

I don't know, it's straight from someone in the industry. I'm not addressing profit margins anyway, I'm addressing the inaccuracy of the statement I quoted. It costs Apple more than the cost of a low-end phone to ship an iPhone. 

That said, the price, and in turn their profit margins are dictated by what the market is willing to pay. Apple is a publicly traded company and they have a duty to their shareholders to be as profitable as possible. 

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The 11 pro and 11 pro max are $1700 and $1800 phones here while the 11 is $1200,  that's a significant mark up for very little variance in base production cost. 

Interesting. I find it honestly a bit hard to believe, but supposedly a number of markets are short on iPhone 11s and thus prices are hyperelevated relative to the XR, so hmm indeed.

As far as compromises go... I really do think that the market right now is great battery, good enough everything else, and illusion of status driven. 

**shrugs** interesting times. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

The 11 pro and 11 pro max are $1700 and $1800 phones here while the 11 is $1200,  that's a significant mark up for very little variance in base production cost. 

the 11 which is what they were talking about is only a $478.2 profit

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

the 11 which is what they were talking about is only a $478.2 profit

They're actually talking about the difference in cost between the 11 and the 11 pro max sale price versus cost to manufacture.    Which doesn't seem to scale very well given the feature differences.   I am having trouble accepting the R+D/marketing cost was that much higher for the pro/pro max than the straight up 11.

EDIT: they can build the entire phone again for the price difference.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

They're actually talking about the difference in cost between the 11 and the 11 pro max sale price versus cost to manufacture.    Which doesn't seem to scale very well given the feature differences.   I am having trouble accepting the R+D/marketing cost was that much higher for the pro/pro max than the straight up 11.

EDIT: they can build the entire phone again for the price difference.

Which is ludicrous, but at the same time par for the course and expected (at least by me). It's good business

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Best selling phone? is everyone else except me all over the globe filthy rich?

I still don't understand how its the best selling phone at this price:
https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-xr

Profit margin yes, best selling no.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

I mean its expensive, but not in the context of other things. For example theres alot of cars in the world and the vast majority of the ones in the west cost more than a phone.

Imagine a base model Renault Captur being priced the same as a top-of-the-line Fiat 500, and you'll understand why its doesn't make sense for the XR to have been so successful. You can get objectively better spec'd phones (screens storage, RAM etc) for less with the same quality. Even looking at previous generations of iPhones.

PMSL

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Renault Captur being priced the same as a top-of-the-line Fiat 500

but... that's a real case

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

but... that's a real case

fashion accessory car =/= fashion accessory phone
That's what I was thinking of...so does that mean Renault is the Apple of cars?

PMSL

53 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's what I was thinking of...so does that mean Renault is the Apple of cars?

i dont know

i'm just saying that a base model captur costs the same as a, non special edition, top of the line fully decked 500 (though the the dolcevuta edition really looks good, only citycar i'd actually want to own if i want into pickup trucks)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Imagine a base model Renault Captur being priced the same as a top-of-the-line Fiat 500, and you'll understand why its doesn't make sense for the XR to have been so successful. You can get objectively better spec'd phones (screens storage, RAM etc) for less with the same quality. Even looking at previous generations of iPhones.

But here's the thing: those better specced phones... aren't necessarily better phones.

Take the OnePlus 7 Pro, for example.  Yeah, it has an excellent screen, at least 6GB of RAM and gobs of storage for the money, but an iPhone XR still has a performance advantage in key areas, has noticeably better camera quality and will last significantly longer on battery.  Oh, and you'll actually get OS updates for more than two years.  So the OP7 Pro is good for enthusiasts, but often lackluster for people who just want to make it through a long day or take a quality photo of their friends.

The dirty secret is that the iPhone XR sells well because it's a better-balanced phone from a big brand.

When the average person walks into a phone carrier store and wants to get a new phone, more times than not they will ask for an "iPhone" or a "Samsung". Its the brands they know. Most of them don't even know what models are out and ask for "the new one". Pretty much the entire community outside of tech enthusiasts couldn't give a shit that the XR screen is a lower resolution IPS display, its an iPhone and they want an iPhone. Or its "the new Samsung droid" and they want that.

I've used both and I don't see the reason to have a definitive "best". Just because I use an iPhone right now doesn't mean that I think that anyone else is wrong for buying whatever phone they own. Both sides have their own set of pros and cons and the cellphone argument has been watered down to a Pepsi vs Coke fight now. Who cares if someone else likes iPhone? Who cares if someone else bought a Oneplus? Buy what you like and stop being a dick when other dont buy the same.

23 minutes ago, lloose said:

When the average person walks into a phone carrier store and wants to get a new phone, more times than not they will ask for an "iPhone" or a "Samsung". Its the brands they know. Most of them don't even know what models are out and ask for "the new one". Pretty much the entire community outside of tech enthusiasts couldn't give a shit that the XR screen is a lower resolution IPS display, its an iPhone and they want an iPhone. Or its "the new Samsung droid" and they want that.

I've used both and I don't see the reason to have a definitive "best". Just because I use an iPhone right now doesn't mean that I think that anyone else is wrong for buying whatever phone they own. Both sides have their own set of pros and cons and the cellphone argument has been watered down to a Pepsi vs Coke fight now. Who cares if someone else likes iPhone? Who cares if someone else bought a Oneplus? Buy what you like and stop being a dick when other dont buy the same.

That's what I don't get.  I prefer the iPhone and think Android has some glaring issues (including model-specific problems)... but at the same time, I think it's just dandy if you get an Android phone so long as you know what you're getting into.  It has its clear advantages.  What frustrates me is the sheer number of people who believe that they really are the sole arbiter of what matters in a phone, and that any phone that doesn't meet their particular criteria is garbage.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

But here's the thing: those better specced phones... aren't necessarily better phones.

Take the OnePlus 7 Pro, for example.  Yeah, it has an excellent screen, at least 6GB of RAM and gobs of storage for the money, but an iPhone XR still has a performance advantage in key areas, has noticeably better camera quality and will last significantly longer on battery.  Oh, and you'll actually get OS updates for more than two years.  So the OP7 Pro is good for enthusiasts, but often lackluster for people who just want to make it through a long day or take a quality photo of their friends.

The dirty secret is that the iPhone XR sells well because it's a better-balanced phone from a big brand.

*looks at Samsung*

PMSL

Another thing a lot of people aren't taking into consideration is the A10 and A20 are usually given away as a free phone with service.