First time using a Mac, not impressed

This is the first time I'm using a mac and im currently on everyone else's side. The total time of the update is literally longer then any windows laptop or pc. Am i doing something wrong?20191224_155846.thumb.jpg.474ec1d6e65750369fd5924c4c9e8578.jpg

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

Have you ever installed windows plus all your most used apps in one go?

The only thing your doing wrong is expecting too much, macOS is an OS plus an environment, its a lot to install.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

An update from Mojave to Catalina is essentially the same as a Windows 10 update from 1903 to 1909, that's not much faster, is it?

As for software, install homebrew and you have yourself a (lightweight) package manager, similar to Linux.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Amount of time not measured.  Hard to tell if something is normal or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

From turn on to ready was nearly an hour with an update,  a windows laptop takes me about 15 minutes. 

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

8 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

From turn on to ready was nearly an hour with an update,  a windows laptop takes me about 15 minutes. 

It finished it though?  I was getting the impression it was hung.  One thing to keep in mind is if you’re downloading stuff it’s got to come over the internet.  That can be a big variable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

An update from Mojave to Catalina is essentially the same as a Windows 10 update from 1903 to 1909, that's not much faster, is it?

1 hour ago, Taja said:

I tought you were talking about something relevant, like first impressions or features.

But first upgrade taking long, really?

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Microsoft's spyware is more optimized than Apple's

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to spin up a controversy. I was simply pointing out that the process didn't seem to be as optimized as I was lead to believe. 

Maby my expectations were to high to begin with but I'm not exactly an apple lover. More the opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It finished it though?  I was getting the impression it was hung.  One thing to keep in mind is if you’re downloading stuff it’s got to come over the internet.  That can be a big variable.

The download it self was expectedly quick,  its what happened afterwards that was surprising.

19 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Are you saying Windows installation + upgrade to new release takes 15 minutes?

Like I said, this is a bit of a special situation since you're upgrading between releases.

I know it takes time, but you get a new release once a year, not really that much of an issue.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

36 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

The download it self was expectedly quick,  its what happened afterwards that was surprising.

Question remains: Did it work or not?

7 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

The only thing your doing wrong is expecting too much, macOS is an OS plus an environment, its a lot to install.

Not when it starts at the premium price of $1000 usd. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Not when it starts at the premium price of $1000 usd. 

OS is $300 in just pure cost.  The machine was then $700. I don’t blame apple for charging what they do.  I just wish I could use decent hardware with the stuff.  I don’t want a laptop.

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

No, that's about right.

There are things that irritate me about MacOS that's good on Windows and vice versa. I wish someone could make a really good OS. Windows does keep getting better though.

OS these days means 3 things at once: operating system, GUI, and command line.

Windows comes in 5th for command line. Maybe 6th, which is hard as there are generally considered to be only 3 competitors. OSX and Windows generally trade blows for top GUI with OSX generally winning on points by judges decision, while Windows gets some pretty good shots in.  Gnome and KDE and whatever else there is in freeware Linux/BSDspace run close behind though it’s subjective.  I’m not very happy with any of the operating systems at the moment.  There was a point 10 or 15 years ago where Windows was below 3rd in this area too.  They’ve gotten better though.  I would have thought they were trading blows and maybe even beating Apple until win10 ate my video card.  I don’t know where they are right now.  I’m really hoping it’s not first, simply on the grounds general horror and hope for humanity.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:57 PM, Bombastinator said:

Question remains: Did it work or 

On 12/24/2019 at 6:57 PM, Bombastinator said:

Question remains: Did it work or not?

Yes it did work. 

8 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Cool.  At least there’s no debugging to do.  Just watched an LTT video where he was building some sort of gigantic video editing NAS and was complaining about Windows boot time on that motherboard.  There was a cut though so I don’t know how long it actually took.

Bash?  Awww.  I actually remember bash.  Bourne Again SHell.  It was a fix for bsh which was an improvement on sh.  That’s what? 20 years old?  30?  Everything has a command prompt.  Probably means DOS.  There’s a bajillion different shells.  Bash and powershell make two.  Command prompt makes none.