Is human evolution over?

Otto_iii
On 12/22/2019 at 3:13 PM, Kilrah said:

Evolution happens over hundreds/thousands of years. Nothing you're going to be able to see.

Specific breeding of pugs proved we can fuck up species in matter of several decades to a century...

On 12/23/2019 at 10:53 PM, BuckGup said:

I'd say natural selection has slowed down. As instead of the person with poor vision dying due to not seeing the predator coming. We now have glasses and Lasik. But we haven't done anything to change all the gamma rays blasting us from space altering our DNA 24/7

Most of these are deleterious mutations, not to mention can only be pass down if they occur in reproductive cells. Without natural selection to pick the beneficial ones and filter out the bad, beneficial traits wont have an advantage and become dominant in majority of the population. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Specific breeding of pugs proved we can fuck up species in matter of several decades to a century...

But selective breeding for humans? We haven't tried that since the American and Nazi Eugenics. 

But nevertheless, artificial selection can be an alternative to natural selection. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Human evolution is not faster then the theory of evolution put to work.

You do realize that Homo Sapiens just wandered around about 200000 years before understanding - a wheel is a good idea? And from there it started ... the later years have proven to be explosive, to this date.

I still am wondering - 200k yearz! before a bright idea.

I edit my posts more often than not

43 minutes ago, wasab said:

But selective breeding for humans? We haven't tried that since the American and Nazi Eugenics. 

But nevertheless, artificial selection can be an alternative to natural selection. 

I dunno about that.  It happens all the time.  Remember, if someone doesn’t have children as far as evolution is concerned they might have just been eaten by a bear and if they have 6 and then are eaten by a bear it’s like they were never eaten by a bear.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Human evolution is not faster then the theory of evolution put to work.

You do realize that Homo Sapiens just wandered around about 200000 years before understanding - a wheel is a good idea? And from there it started ... the later years have proven to be explosive, to this date.

I still am wondering - 200k yearz! before a bright idea.

This goes to the belief that education is more important than intelligence.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I dunno about that.  It happens all the time.  Remember, if someone doesn’t have children as far as evolution is concerned they might have just been eaten by a bear and if they have 6 and then are eaten by a bear it’s like they were never eaten by a bear.

Humans just need one offspring to pass down both parents genes so we can have population decrease but still have genetic traits pass down. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

This goes to the belief that education is more important than intelligence.

Would you elaborate?

7 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

Basically if the church wouldn't have been around during the dark ages there is a slight chance we would have been on the same level as any given 3d world country around this time and age. Of course we paid in full by creating all these kinds of fears that actually work quite well in keeping humans on the edge these days we replaced those fears by more basic, monetary, stuff, fear of left out, fear of not being good enough etc... in the old days the only one you'd had to fear was the preacher who was responsible for your redemption

What is also nice to note is China as country, did they stagnate at a certain point, or was their progress as a civilization more refined then anyone with an abacus and a sense for technique could ever measure? 

Well, I'm a member of the "butterfly effect" church - I assume nothing is insignificant and past nor future can be actually be interpreted without "calculation error".

If Aristotle would considered being a merchant to become rich, what would future have been? OK, only one person, but the reflections would have had unpredictable consequences.

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Humans just need one offspring to pass down both parents genes so we can have population decrease but still have genetic traits pass down. 

Utter absolute Minimum, yes.  Replacement is two though.  Actually it’s slightly more than 2 because of accidental deaths and whatnot.  In any case if one person has one child and the other person has 10 children that person is evolutionarily more successful.  That’s how evolution works.  

1 hour ago, RetroGeneral said:

Basically if the church wouldn't have been around during the dark ages there is a slight chance we would have been on the same level as any given 3d world country around this time and age. Of course we paid in full by creating all these kinds of fears that actually work quite well in keeping humans on the edge these days we replaced those fears by more basic, monetary, stuff, fear of left out, fear of not being good enough etc... in the old days the only one you'd had to fear was the preacher who was responsible for your redemption

What is also nice to note is China as country, did they stagnate at a certain point, or was their progress as a civilization more refined then anyone with an abacus and a sense for technique could ever measure? 

Wouldn’t have gone there myself.  I was more thinking that knowledge builds on knowledge.  Pythagoreas was a pretty smart guy.  He invented several important parts of geometry.  Now every 8th grader knows geometry.  They couldn’t have come up with it themselves though.  An entire lifetime of one of the worlds great geniuses turns into an hour a day for 7 months for any random kid.

18 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

I thought I knew math until I learned that I only learned to subtract and detract values … which is quite enough :D 

Not to build a car or keep your house standing up or to plow a field or even brick a wall it isn’t. People don’t get how much math there is in their lives even if they’re not the ones doing it.

Whoever you are in real life you don't know drat about science. A being never stops evolving unless every single atom in it's body is frozen in liquid helium. A being always gets or looses features we never stop evolving no matter how slow we evolve. Burn: You should probably evolve from a Homo Habilis to a Homo Sapien, you (burn) SCARAEBAEUS VIETTIEI!!! 

3 hours ago, RetroGeneral said:

Right. China under the Han was at the height of its technological power. So many inventions all came out during this time period. Beginning with the Ming dynasty however, China made little to no contribution to human technological and scientific progress. Europeans began catching up after the Renaissance and European scholars were coming up with serious advance concepts during the age of enlightenment(scientific methods, calculus, Newtonian physics ect). 

During the industrial revolution, Europeans and Americans simply pull Far ahead and left behind the rest of the world in dust. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Utter absolute Minimum, yes.  Replacement is two though.  Actually it’s slightly more than 2 because of accidental deaths and whatnot.  In any case if one person has one child and the other person has 10 children that person is evolutionarily more successful.  That’s how evolution works.  

Only if these survive to produce their own offspring. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, RetroGeneral said:

And we are in the middle of the technological revolution! how can people state we are at a evolutionary death point is beyond understanding

They are mainly talking about biological evolution as defined by Darwin's theory of natural selection. Of course technologically and culturally, humans are evolving faster than ever. 

I mean each generation after the another have higher literacy rate and score higher on the IQ test than the previous. Humans are clearly getting more intelligent. Not to mention wealthier since it has been a trend that children tend to do better than their parents. Except the millennials. Idk what's wrong with this generation but they seem to take a step backward in terms of education and financial wealth. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

27 minutes ago, wasab said:

They are mainly talking about biological evolution as defined by Darwin's theory of natural selection. Of course technologically and culturally, humans are evolving faster than ever. 

I mean each generation after the another have higher literacy rate and score higher on the IQ test than the previous. Humans are clearly getting more intelligent. Not to mention wealthier since it has been a trend that children tend to do better than their parents. Except the millennials. Idk what's wrong with this generation but they seem to take a step backward in terms of education and financial wealth. 

They do in that education is very much a factor of financial wealth.  Much more so than previous generations.  School costs money, and it costs multiple times as much money as it did when their parents went which is multiple times more than when the generation before them went.  IQ has been shown to be very much a factor of enculturation and education.  So much so that the test works quite poorly when removed from western countries

36 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They do in that education is very much a factor of financial wealth.  Much more so than previous generations.  School costs money, and it costs multiple times as much money as it did when their parents went which is multiple times more than when the generation before them went.  IQ has been shown to be very much a factor of enculturation and education.  So much so that the test works quite poorly when removed from western countries

I think it has more to do with the fact that millennial matured and enter the workforce around the year of 2008, the start of the great recession. This couple with the fact that millennial are much more idealistic and choose to study difficult to employ major like philosophy and social sciences(probably because their parents lived during the booming years so millennial grew up in well off households), cause a dip in their earning potential. My writing professor is a millennial who have a philosophy degree. She graduated in 2008 and she told me it took her a whooping 8 months to find a job. 

Fast forward to today, the zoomer generation is quite different, having lived their childhood during the hardship of the great recession, they are much more practical and less idealistic than their parents in degree choices. Many study engineering and stem subjects. Not to mention many are maturing and entering the work force in 2020, give and take a couple years. Currently, in the USA at least, the economy is at its strongest in decades. The US unemployment is at 2% currently which is practically no unemployment(2% is due to fictional unemployment which will always exists because people will quit unhappy jobs). It is great to be a zoomer. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 minutes ago, wasab said:

I think it has more to do with the fact that millennial matured and enter the workforce around the year of 2008, the start of the great recession. This couple with the fact that millennial are much more idealistic and choose to study difficult to employ major like philosophy and social sciences(probably because their parents lived during the booming years so millennial grew up in well off households), cause a dip in their earning potential. My writing professor is a millennial who have a philosophy degree. She graduated in 2008 and she told me it took her a whooping 8 months to find a job. 

Fast forward to today, the zoomer generation is quite different, having lived their childhood during the hardship of the great recession, they are much more practical and less idealistic than their parents in degree choices. Many study engineering and stem subjects. Not to mention many are maturing and entering the work force in 2020, give and take a couple years. Currently, in the USA at least, the economy is at its strongest in decades. The US unemployment is at 2% currently which is practically no unemployment(2% is due to fictional unemployment which will always exists because people will quit unhappy jobs). It is great to be a zoomer. 

It is complicated by a recession.  It’s a milder one than the 1970’s though.  I went to school in 1990 and a college degree at a small private university cost about 13,000 a year.  Average private nonprofit tuition in 2017 cost nearly 45,000/year.  And it’s gone up.

Evolution is inevitable. Humans will never be able to stop it. We tend to think we have control but when the time comes mother nature will what it wants when it wants. Mother nature is weird, man. For God's sake, it gave us an appendix! 

9 minutes ago, Jake. said:

Evolution is inevitable. Humans will never be able to stop it. We tend to think we have control but when the time comes mother nature will what it wants when it wants. Mother nature is weird, man. For God's sake, it gave us an appendix! 

...which turn out to actually maybe be useful.

I think it will reach a point in which it will all soon collapse due to the changes in strict adaptability and survival of the fittest, thing is, humans invented societies, institutions and laws, there's even the human right to "reproduce".

Long story short: We messed up the game by introducing our self appreciation into the equation and the only way out is in my own opinion (no one has ever agreed with me) a massive purge of our bloodline followed by more systematic breeding, not for the rewarding feelings of being a parent but for the sake of raising the best human samples depending on our species' needs; this, of course brings all kind of nasty discussions to the table and results in a very politically incorrect speech like racism and human rights violation since the method of improving human race involves taking out some genes from the genepool and that might mean wiping out entire races by denying them a place in the next generation and of course that also goes against human rights, but as far as i can see there's no other option if we want to make human race reach the next step in evolution.

Evolution is like the project car in my garage. Never finished.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

i just want more brunel's tbh ngl

also like a few lucille ball or whoopi goldberg would be fine tbh, idc

just saying our environment changed a bit ago and its funny to pretend we aren't attentive to it

The evolution is not over but the race will be over soon. ?