Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manateeman77

Will a GTX 1660 Ti work with a MSI B450M MORTAR MAX?

19 minutes ago, manateeman77 said:

I'm not very experienced with what this means, but I just see smaller numbers than the Tomahawk has, so I got a little concerned.

Thank you!

The numbers tell you how many PCIe slots the board has, how many PCIe lanes are available on each slot and which PCIe generation it supports. Both the generation and number of lanes determines the maximum transfer speed of that slot. In practice, the number of PCIe lanes and the PCIe generation has very little impact on the performance of your GPU:

- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti PCI-Express Scaling

- PCI-Express 4.0 Performance Scaling with Radeon RX 5700 XT

Both the Mortar and Tomahawk have one PCIe 3.0 slot with 16 lanes, which is what you'd typically attach the GPU to, so there shouldn't be any difference. They have a different number of additional slots and some of those slots will either be unavailable or have reduced speed if e.g. you attach an M.2 SSD. This shouldn't matter as long as you're not planning on using those slots for e.g. additional storage.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm about to buy the MSI B450M Mortar Max motherboard, and I just wanted to double check if it would work with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660Ti?

It seems like it would, but compared to other motherboards, the Mortar has:

1x PCI-E x16

2x PCI-E GEN

1x PCI-E X1

I'm not very experienced with what this means, but I just see smaller numbers than the Tomahawk has, so I got a little concerned.

Thank you!

For the most part, every graphics card will work with any motherboard, especially all the current stuff for sale.

In your case, yes the 1660ti will work fine with that board.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.4 all core | MSI B450 GAMING Pro Carbon | Team Dark Pro 16GB 3200mhz CL14 | Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super @2145mhz | Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVME | Sandisk Extreme 480GB SSD | Be Quiet Straight Power 10 CM 600W Gold | Fractal Design Meshify C |  AOC 24G2 1080p 144hz IPS |  AKG K7XX + Modmic 4.0 |

Other Tech: 2018 iPad  &  2019 iPhone 11 Pro

Posted · Best Answer
19 minutes ago, manateeman77 said:

Thank you!

The numbers tell you how many PCIe slots the board has, how many PCIe lanes are available on each slot and which PCIe generation it supports. Both the generation and number of lanes determines the maximum transfer speed of that slot. In practice, the number of PCIe lanes and the PCIe generation has very little impact on the performance of your GPU:

- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti PCI-Express Scaling

- PCI-Express 4.0 Performance Scaling with Radeon RX 5700 XT

Both the Mortar and Tomahawk have one PCIe 3.0 slot with 16 lanes, which is what you'd typically attach the GPU to, so there shouldn't be any difference. They have a different number of additional slots and some of those slots will either be unavailable or have reduced speed if e.g. you attach an M.2 SSD. This shouldn't matter as long as you're not planning on using those slots for e.g. additional storage.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply