Looking For The Best 27 Inch Display

Deleon.David

I'm looking for a good 27 inch gaming display for a reasonable price, just nothing too expensive.

Preferably IPS or just any displays that has good colour and doesn't or has minimal wash out when looked at from different angles

thanks guys ^__^ i know i can always rely on linustechtips!

Honestly there are a ton of different choices. If price is an issue, then those cheap IPS monitors on eBay are not a bad bet. If you want something with QC, there are a couple of North American companies basically buying/rebranding them Monoprice and Nixeus come to mind.

http://www.dell.com/ed/p/dell-s2740l/pd

Try this!
Heard the panel is pretty good when compared to the Ultra Sharp which is 100$+ more expensive.

-CPU:4670K -GPU: EVGA SC 970 -Display: LG 29UM67-P 2560x1080 -Mobo:Msi G45 -CpuHS:NZXT T40 -Ram:Gskill 1600 -Case:Bitfenix Shinobi -Psu: XFX 750W -Fans:Bitfenix SpectrePro 2x140 2x120

http://www.dell.com/ed/p/dell-s2740l/pd

Try this!

Heard the panel is pretty good when compared to the Ultra Sharp which is 100$+ more expensive.

That is because that panel is 1920x1080, not 2560x1440 like the more expensive Ultrasharps, which is pretty terrible for 27". The Ultrasharps are more expensive simply because they are a lot better.

If you want a guaranteed amazing monitor, get the Dell U2713HM, if you REALLY want a high res 27" monitor but can't afford one, buy and A- panel monitor like the Yamasaki of Ebay. Dell, at least here in Australia, do 30% off sales on the U2713HM every 3 weeks, making them $550. It's well worth it, I have one.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Thank you gentlemen!

loving the community and hep from linus himself!

thanks again gents.

Deleon.David, what is your budget?

Because else people think that you are super tight on budget, to a point that you are ready to buy these cheap Korean monitors which are nothing more than faulty not certified for sale monitor panel with issues being sold instead of thrown at the bin. They buy them from cheap on LG or Samsung, or other IPS manufacture, put it an enclosure of the cheapest quality, really, and these panels are directly connected to DVI, not regulator circuit or anything needed for proper functioning, which leads to graphic card not working with it (and the ebay page has a list of compatible graphic cards). So if it work for you, great, but it might not work on your next GPU.

Like I said, its great if you are desperate, or you come from a really shitty TN panel which most people that get those, come from. But, in reality they are not good buys.

My suggest for a proper monitor: Dell U2713.

-> High build quality

-> Uses LG true 8-bit IPS panel

-> Excellent reviewed

-> Great value for your money

-> Non glossy anything (trust me, a glossy monitor at this size, will be a giant mirror)

-> Fully adjustable stand for comfortable setup.

-> 3 year warranty. Where Dell pays shipping and arranges everything for you for any type of RMA.

-> 0 bright and stuck policy. Meaning, you see 1 -> replacement, 6 or more dead pixel, with no zone or distance crap policy. You could 6 -> replacement.

-> When a replacement monitor is issued, you get to keep the monitor until you wait for the replacement monitor to arrive. A pre-paid shipping will be in the box of the replacement monitor. Just swap the monitor, stick the shipping label over the old one, and call the mail carrier to come and pick it up. Now, that's service!

-> Manufacture color calibrated sRGB profile with report, ready to be selected once you plug the monitor. So you get the best from the monitor, out of the box essentially.

GoodBytes, the Korean monitors aren't as bad as you're making out. Sure, if you want to play it safe, go with a Dell/Asus/Samsung 1440p monitor, but the vast majority of people that get the cheap panels are quite content; a large portion have no bad pixels and even lighting. The build quality of the chassis is questionable, sure, but the cut-down circuitry is not necessarily a bad thing. If you need Displayport, then you need to look elsewhere, but basic PCBs mean lower latency for gaming, which is something you need to consider when the latency on IPS panels is already much higher than that of TN.

As for compatibility, that's basically a non-issue. If your GPU is compatible with that res and Dual-Link DVI, it will work. The compatibility lists that some sellers display are there to stop people with older non-compatible GPUs from buying them. You'd have the same issue with any other monitor of the same res. They won't cease to be compatible in until Dual-DVI is phased out, which won't happen for a long time (we've only recently lost VGA - good riddance).

So while there's a chance that you'll get stuck/bad/dead pixels on the cheap panels (and I think the bigger issue is that you effectively don't have warranty), it's up to the buyer to be aware of the pros and cons and make the decision themself - in a lot of cases, the money saved is worth the risk.

That said, if you want a guaranteed good screen, I'll second the suggestion of the Dell U2713. Unless you have an issue with the anti-glare coating (which some people certainly have - it can add a wierd effect. Google dell U27 anti-glare coating), it's the big daddy of 27" 1440p screens, which you can often get at a reduced price when Dell's online store has a sale, as well as through vouchers/coupons floating around the Internet.

Obsidian

• AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8GHz, NB @ 2.6
  • AMD Radeon 6970 1GB (modded 6950)
  • 120GB SSD - OS/Apps
  • RAID0 2x1TB HDDs - Games
  • Catleap 27" 2560x1440 IPS Screen
  • Razer DeathAdder & BlackWidow
  • Audio-Technica AD700s

That said, if you want a guaranteed good screen, I'll second the suggestion of the Dell U2713. Unless you have an issue with the anti-glare coating (which some people certainly have - it can add a wierd effect. Google dell U27 anti-glare coating), it's the big daddy of 27" 1440p screens, which you can often get at a reduced price when Dell's online store has a sale, as well as through vouchers/coupons floating around the Internet.

Anti glare has been toned down on the newer Dells, I've got the U2412M, which has older, more aggresive AG coating and you can only really see it on large areas of light colours (such as this forum) and even then you only really see it when you look for it. On the u2713h/hm I'd say it's probably not an issue.

GoodBytes, the Korean monitors aren't as bad as you're making out. Sure, if you want to play it safe, go with a Dell/Asus/Samsung 1440p monitor, but the vast majority of people that get the cheap panels are quite content; a large portion have no bad pixels and even lighting. The build quality of the chassis is questionable, sure, but the cut-down circuitry is not necessarily a bad thing.

Uneven sharpness, some pixel that you see the back light due the grid not being well made, and other issues. The panel are rejects for a reason. While they are miles better than cheapo TN panel that most people who gets these panel, it's still something to mention.

If you need Displayport, then you need to look elsewhere, but basic PCBs mean lower latency for gaming, which is something you need to consider when the latency on IPS panels is already much higher than that of TN.

Latency on IPS panel is the same as TN panels, unless you have professional grade monitors, or really high end consumer grade monitors, where you DO NOT enable "Game" mode which by passes a lot of processing, which reduce quiet a lot the input lag to normal monitor. And by high input lag, I am talking about under 30ms.

TV's are over 100ms input lag on average. People claim that they can see the input lag, but even hard core FPS players can't.. not when you are down at ~10-20ms range which is what is common. So the argument of "it has less input lag" is not very valid... at least not to me.

So while there's a chance that you'll get stuck/bad/dead pixels on the cheap panels (and I think the bigger issue is that you effectively don't have warranty), it's up to the buyer to be aware of the pros and cons and make the decision themself - in a lot of cases, the money saved is worth the risk.

Of course! But this detail, is not being mentioned. People assume that it's valid A+ grade panels. But they are really not.

Unless you have an issue with the anti-glare coating (which some people certainly have - it can add a wierd effect. Google dell U27 anti-glare coating), it's the big daddy of 27" 1440p screens, which you can often get at a reduced price when Dell's online store has a sale, as well as through vouchers/coupons floating around the Internet.

You mean the U2711? I have the U2410, which is the same coating (it's the same monitor, just 24inch and 1920x1200 version). And the anti-glare "issue" is because people don't know how to have a proper computer setup. People that complain about this kind of issues are because they sit way too close to the monitor. Their keyboard barely fits on their desk, and I am not exaggerating when you see the picture, it's just sad. OR/AND, they have the monitor brightness waaaaaaay to high. The U2711/U2410 is really bright monitor... you can have the sun behind you hitting you a hot summer day, outside, and brightness level would be at 80-90%, to be able to see an image on the screen. Crazy bright monitor. Most people have the monitor brightness at 0-35% depending on their ambient light level of their setup.

The U2711 is now discontinued. The U2713H and U2713HM as well as the smaller brother: U2413, have a new anti-glare coating process, which is less aggressive, which is great for people that don't have a proper computer desk, or buy a monitor way to big for their setup, and almost just as good.

In any case, the anti-glare coating of the U2711/U2410/U3011 is nothing new... this is the standard IPS coating. And you see no professionals complaining about it. In fact it's a greatly demanded feature for all kinds of professionals and businesses. It's a non issue.

People should stop buying crap. Because that is why we have all this shit as products on the market like laptop and desktop, with no OS disk, falling apart, 3h of battery life or less, junk madness, cheapo and huge power adapter, loud and hot systems, 1 year warranty... I even saw TV's with 90-days warranty.. it's starting! We used to have 3 on everything! What happened? People buy crap.

I fully understand the need of low end products, which amazing for people that really can't afford a computer, or really needs a monitor, but just can't afford one. I find Acer, eMachine, and the rest, awesome for this. Many would not even dream to get a computer.

But, people see it as the new norm now. Like these cheap Korean monitor, ignoring that they are faulty in the first place, and lacks everything essential.

And, while I am ready to recommend them to those who can't afford a proper one, you are not going to tell me that you can't afford a proper one, with you 250$ motherboard 300-400$ CPU, 100$ keyboard, 100$ mouse, heat sink replacement, SLI/crossfire GPU, and all that fancy stuff... and then go "Yea, screw the monitor, I can cut there. It is only the main interaction that I have with my computer, and without it, it's just a paper weight." The monitor is the most important thing to your computer. Not only it's a peripheral, but it's also an internal integral part of the computer.

Uneven sharpness, some pixel that you see the back light due the grid not being well made, and other issues. The panel are rejects for a reason. While they are miles better than cheapo TN panel that most people who gets these panel, it's still something to mention.

They're rejected in batches, it's the same principle of buying a 7950 over a 7970. They actually do not inspect each and every panel, they take samples from a large batch, if some of those samples display issues then they reject the whole batch. This applies to most manufacturing processes. While something might not be rated for a A+ standard it could very well be one, whereas the inverse is true as well. I had bought a U2410 back in late 09', while being a great monitor it took two returns before I got a perfect monitor. First one had terrible backlight bleeding and the other had a screen that was not uniform. Absolutely fantastic monitor when I finally got a good one. When it comes to the tech world nothing is guaranteed. While I wouldn't be one to take my chances on one from eBay, I would look towards North American vendors. You REALLY need to stop downplaying them, they are a viable option depending on what the person buying it plays to do with it.