Need Help Deciding What to Buy

Nano Adam

So, I am planning on getting a server, here is my current config: 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/pdr/poweredge-t140/pe_t140_13161_vi_vp?selectionState=eyJPQyI6InBlX3QxNDBfMTMxNjFfdmlfdnAiLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MTU1MCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJHWUU3MjNMIn1dfSx7IklkIjoxNTcwLCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IjFUQkFDIn1dfV0sIlRpIjoiIiwiRGkiOiIifQ%3D%3D&cartItemId=

I have two questions:

1. Should I go for 6 core 6 thread (current) or 4 core 4 thread.

2. Is the server good for my plan:

Plan

- Run FreeNas

- Run one Virtual machine with windows 10

- maybe backup a laptop to server

I need to stay inside of around $650 budget. 

Thanks

For running Virtual Machines I recommend four or more cores. If a 6-core is in your budget then the more the merrier.

Personally FreeNAS's Bhyve hypervisor is terrible. If you're looking to run VMs but you want the benifits of ZFS I would opt for something like PROXMOX. All the perks of ZFS but with a much better hypervisor. You Windows VM will run smoother and support more functionality.

I would recommend more than 8GB of RAM if you want to host VMs. You'll be really limiting yourself giving your host 4GB and your guest 4GB (not what you said you plan to do but it's a guess.)

Otherwise the hardware is more than adequate. I see you have not included a RAID card. Which is good in the event of ZFS. Personally I'd build the server from scratch but to each their own.

Do you have more than one drive or are you going to try installing everything to that one disk?

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

For running Virtual Machines I recommend four or more cores. If a 6-core is in your budget then the more the merrier.

Personally FreeNAS's Bhyve hypervisor is terrible. If you're looking to run VMs but you want the benifits of ZFS I would opt for something like PROXMOX. All the perks of ZFS but with a much better hypervisor. You Windows VM will run smoother and support more functionality.

I would recommend more than 8GB of RAM if you want to host VMs. You'll be really limiting yourself giving your host 4GB and your guest 4GB (not what you said you plan to do but it's a guess.)

Otherwise the hardware is more than adequate. I see you have not included a RAID card. Which is good in the event of ZFS. Personally I'd build the server from scratch but to each their own.

Do you have more than one drive or are you going to try installing everything to that one disk?

Very good suggestions.

1. So, the reason I chose Freenas since it is FREE. lol. But, would you have another option. 

2. I am open to another drive which is something I will source out of Dell itself. 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, ammar_code said:

Very good suggestions.

1. So, the reason I chose Freenas since it is FREE. lol. But, would you have another option. 

2. I am open to another drive which is something I will source out of Dell itself. 

Thanks. 

PROXMOX has a optional subscription (indicated by a annoying pop-up whenever you enter the WebUI) but is otherwise free as well. You don't have to pay for it to use it. I don't know what you need the Windows VM to do for you so I only recommend it from a performance perspective.

Did you plan to install the OS to that drive? Traditionally the OS would go on a thumb drive or a small RAID1 array. Then a separate drive/pool holds your data.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

PROXMOX has a optional subscription (indicated by a annoying pop-up whenever you enter the WebUI) but is otherwise free as well. You don't have to pay for it to use it. I don't know what you need the Windows VM to do for you so I only recommend it from a performance perspective.

Did you plan to install the OS to that drive? Traditionally the OS would go on a thumb drive or a small RAID1 array. Then a separate drive/pool holds your data.

I planned on installing the OS to a Thumb drive.

The Windows VM would be used for:

- Opening/Editing Excel Files

- Google Chrome

- Downloading/Uploading Simple Files

Like Accounting Duties. 

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, ammar_code said:

I planned on installing the OS to a Thumb drive.

The Windows VM would be used for:

- Opening/Editing Excel Files

- Google Chrome

- Downloading/Uploading Simple Files

Like Accounting Duties. 

Thanks! 

That's fine then. Make sure to keep proper backups of all your data. :D

For light duty tasks it should work well enough then in a Bhyve VM. If you had any plans for it to do things that require some power I would highly advise a hypervisor with less overhead. Something to think about in the future should your needs ever change.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's fine then. Make sure to keep proper backups of all your data. :D

For light duty tasks it should work well enough then in a Bhyve VM. If you had any plans for it to do things that require some power I would highly advise a hypervisor with less overhead. Something to think about in the future should your needs ever change.

Thank you very much.