BOINC Mini Event - Input and Discussion

Month for Mini BOINC Event  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Month would you prefer the mini BOINC event to occur?

• February
    • March
    • April

Hello all.

I'm wanting some input to see if anyone that likes crunching BOINC be interested in the team doing a mini event as a warm up for the upcoming BOINC Pentathlon in 2020.  The team did great in this year's Pentathlon, but there was a lot of new folks just diving into BOINC during the event and not sure what to do or where having issues right off the start.  I would like to see if folks be interested in a small mini BOINC event as a way to become familiar with the software and terms before the big Pentathlon starts.

The next Pentathlon in 2020 starts in May.  Specifically, May 5th to May 19th.

So, what month and time frame all of you would like to see this mini event held? 

UPDATES:

Possible months for the event:

January

February

March

Nominated Projects:

CPU

Rosetta@Home

Enigma@Home

WCG

GPU

Enstein@Home

Milkyway@Home

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Woah, I was looking forward to this!

Hope that you can organize one while it's still cold here in Europe. January/February/March would be great for me!

An event of week or two would be great for start, but I am even okay with longer one.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

2 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Woah, I was looking forward to this!

Hope that you can organize one while it's still cold here in Europe. January/February/March would be great for me!

An event of week or two would be great for start, but I am even okay with longer one.

The main purpose of this thread is to see when folks would like the event to take place and length.

After I get good bit of input, the plan is to do up a Poll later and let folks vote for the month and than length of the event.  

Also, discussion on what project to crunch for and what should be some goals for the event that people can work toward.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

YOOOO Great idea Bro!

So here my though in no particular order 

• end of February would be great for me! Still cold here and the semester at the university is over so I will have more time
  • one or two weeks are enough, it’s still a warmup and this is enough to dial in some settings and OCs
  • Forbid coollaz lol
  • chose projects that MATTER
  • CPU: Rosetta 
  • GPU: difficult! Most scientific and use for humanity I see in GPUGrid, but AMD ( so also me) will be left out. Second most important seems to be Einstein (but the stats of it are real flaky)

REALLY looking forward to this!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

YOOOO Great idea Bro!

• end of February would be great for me! Still cold here and the semester at the university is over so I will have more time
  • one or two weeks are enough, it’s still a warmup and this is enough to dial in some settings and OCs
  • Forbid coollaz lol
  • GPU: difficult! Most scientific and use for humanity I see in GPUGrid, but AMD ( so also me) will be left out. Second most important seems to be Einstein (but the stats of it are real flaky)

I agree with you about collatz, but I think it should just not be mentioned. No need to forbid it...

Rosetta sounds fine for me. 

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

4 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

YOOOO Great idea Bro!

• Forbid coollaz lol

So far Rosetta as a nomination for CPU project.

Hmmm, the GPU project definitely needs to be taken into consideration, since we don't need to choose one that excludes specific brands of GPUs.  So, that makes Einstein a nomination for that category.

The weather seems to be a deciding point so far.  Also, as you mention, when universities' semesters conclude as well.

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

So far Rosetta as a nomination for CPU project.

Hmmm, the GPU project definitely needs to be taken into consideration, since we don't need to choose one that excludes specific brands of GPUs.  So, that makes Einstein a nomination for that category.

The weather seems to be a deciding point so far.  Also, as you mention, when universities' semesters conclude as well.

GPU: I nominated Einstein, because I think we should not calculate mathematics projects and stuff. I love math and am a PD in it lol. But I don’t see the real use for society. Something like biological or medicine projects are much more worthwhile do do. Some physics and astronomy also. Since there is no AMD/Nvidia Biology project on BOINC i choose Einstein but could also have gone with Milky-way. 

And well about the university: That would be nice for me personally. But everyone has different sh... to do IRL. Besides that those dates dont match up internationally. Therefore I think that should not be to big of a deciding factor. Same goes for other region/job specific dates.

I could join in outside February. There's a month-long event at PrimeGrid and I'm in another team for a long time there.

I'd suggest World Community Grid for CPU, although their website is a bit different from most other BOINC projects. If learning how to run BOINC is a major goal, it wouldn't be best in that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, porina said:

I could join in outside February. There's a month-long event at PrimeGrid and I'm in another team for a long time there.

I'd suggest World Community Grid for CPU, although their website is a bit different from most other BOINC projects. If learning how to run BOINC is a major goal, it wouldn't be best in that.

WCG is pain in the... But it is a good project once you get it up and running.

Projects that I'd nominate for GPU:

Enigma@Home (if they are even active at all)

Milkyway@home (personal favorite)

SETI@home

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

1 hour ago, Favebook said:

Projects that I'd nominate for GPU:

Enigma@Home (if they are even active at all)

Milkyway@home (personal favorite)

SETI@home

May I ask why enigma? Personally I don’t see the use for humanity of throwing computing power at a nazi submarines commands.

2 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

May I ask why enigma? Personally I don’t see the use for humanity of throwing computing power at a nazi submarines commands.

It's one of few that support both AMD and NVIDIA. And I personally like cryptography. 

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Just now, Favebook said:

It's one of few that support both AMD and NVIDIA. And I personally like cryptography. 

Ture and me to. But I think it is more worthwhile to do natural sciences!

3 hours ago, Favebook said:

What problem do you have with it? It's slightly different to sign up, but no different in running after that. 

3 hours ago, Favebook said:

Do Navi based cards work correctly with it yet?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

Ture and me to. But I think it is more worthwhile to do natural sciences!

Sure, could be true. I am up for anything as long as we got an event.

54 minutes ago, porina said:

What problem do you have with it? It's slightly different to sign up, but no different in running after that. 

I do not have anymore, but it was pain for me to get it all set up, I do not remember why exactly, but I did it on one system and never again.

Not sure about Navi.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

1 hour ago, porina said:

Last I check, Navi was spitting out errors.  I have yet to see any recent news about the issue.

Though, looking at the message boards.  Seems the newer Nvida drivers are causing longer compute times.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Last I check, Navi was spitting out errors.  I have yet to see any recent news about the issue.

Though, looking at the message boards.  Seems the newer Nvida drivers are causing longer compute times.

Making it sound like a less than great choice to get people into crunching. While I haven't done it much in a while, I do recall their servers were also up and down a lot. Since they crated BOINC with potentially big caches in mind it is a different way to how I like to run.

1 minute ago, porina said:

Making it sound like a less than great choice to get people into crunching. While I haven't done it much in a while, I do recall their servers were also up and down a lot. Since they crated BOINC with potentially big caches in mind it is a different way to how I like to run.

Yep, if running Nvidia, one has to downgrade to 431 drivers.  So, it don't seem like a good one.

34 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

what kind of event would we be doing tough? just two set CPU/GPU projects and run them untill the event ends, or do we actually switch it up pentathlon sstyle?

Nothing hard set yet.

The event can be done as select one or two projects and do those for a set length, or the event can be done up as a small pentathlon style with set dates to crunch certain projects.  

Right now just getting ideas and discussing, than later this month or early next month do some polls to see what folks want to do for the event.

I'm in with rosetta@home. I think it's the most valuable project which will change our lifes in the short term. this project will help to revolutionize medicine, clean energy, new meterials, food supply and many things. 

6 hours ago, mescalin said:

I'm in with rosetta@home. I think it's the most valuable project which will change our lifes in the short term. this project will help to revolutionize medicine, clean energy, new meterials, food supply and many things. 

Yes SIR!

Ok. So another for rosetta@home.

I will start a list in the main post for tracking project nominations.

my vote goes towards february, since i'll be away on holiday for most of it and my rigs at home can make as much heat and noise as they can without bothering my girlfriend ?

also votes for rosetta and einstein

• 3 weeks later...

I will soon set up a vote for the months and projects.  Probably aim for this weekend to start the vote.

If any more ideas, project nominations, and/or discussion for the event, post soon.

Also, I will try to get some prizes done up for the event as well (got a 3D printer now, good excuse to practice).  Nothing big, but I will aim for something unique for the event.

UPDATE:  Added poll for what month the mini BOINC event should occur in.

• 4 weeks later...